1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need PSU help. What PSU is good for this build?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dropglock, Jan 3, 2008.

1. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Aww in that case wise decision.

I have run single 8800GTX's on a Corsair 520 before but thats pushing it... No overhead for clocking.
  2. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    To give you an idea, my power supply Antec Smart Power 2 450 watt runs my system which is pretty close to the one your talking about power draw wise.

That corsair I showed you before is better than my psu and mine doesn't even get warm and I don't get any bad drops even clocked up to 3800mhz with my video card clocked to 770/1004.
  3. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would recommend a single 12v rail over a mulit rail
  4. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    That part doesn't matter so much at all realistically. Just adds a little to the mess of what you need to know to get the right power supply.
  5. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i did read it and read it well..he he he

let me give u another phrase.. its always better to err on the safe side.. which aint what u originally said.. if u had i would not have commented.. :toast:

trogf
  6. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Originally said;

My standard Power Supply answer;

Some things to keep in mind;
    Electronics are not "IDEAL". IF you get a PSU with the exact wattage you "need" then you will probably end up having to replace more than just the PSU.
    PSU's are the heart of your system, if your heart is always beating as fast as possable (to keep up with the demand) it won't last very long. The harder the PSU works the more heat it generates. A PSU that supplies more power than you need works less hard and last longer.
    When Buying a NEW PSU, get the BEST, QUALITY PSU you can afford with MORE power than you "need". This allows room for future upgrades, and will give you better overclocks, smoother operation, and the PSU will last longer because it's not working so hard to supply the draw of your system.

:toast:
  7. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is better to get a psu that has a single rail because the psu can transfer 100% of the 12v rail to the computer, however if its a multi rail the load is uneven, and you could have underutilaization or even worse over draw from specific rails. there is a thread somewhere on these forums that talks about this but i can't remember where it was.

If you had a graphics card that required 20 Amps to run, and your multi rail had 17 (68Amps total), your waling a thin line even though ur overall psu can handle the load. however if it was a single 66 amp rail then your gfx card would have no problem, and there is no waste

anyways ide says 550 seems right, unless you want to upgrade anything in your system in the future