1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need some assistance with my 3870 BIOS settings.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by alf717, Aug 13, 2008.

1. alf717 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone,

I decided to join here and ask some question about my Visiontek 3870 OC Edition card I bought back in June. I have been having issues with the card heating up too much so I decided to edit my BIOS and add the PowerPlay features manually as well as tinkering with the fan options to try and remedy the loud fan.

I was successful with the PowerPlay options as my card now down clocks when I am not running a 3D application however my fan fix doesn't seem to work as well as I would have hoped. I decide to take a few BIOS files I found around the web and edit those settings into my current BIOS I extracted using GPU-Z.

Original BIOS Fan settings:

[​IMG]

Settings from a fan fix BIOS:

[​IMG]

My current BIOS settings:

[​IMG]

OK so this is what I am experiencing. My card will not speed the fan up properly when a 3D application is running. My temps hit about 80°C and the fan was at 40%. I used CCC and GPU-Z to test my setting while running TF2 in windowed mode. I'm hoping someone here can help me with this. My card is the Visiontek 3870OC Edition Rev. 1.0.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. boogah New Member

Thanks Received:
    For the fans
    with your current bios settings put these in the boxes

0 50 60 70 80 85 90 95
    40 50 55 65 70 70 80 100

what are your clocks and voltages ?

O yah select the fan lockup thing
    alf717 says thanks.
  3. alf717 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just did another flash before your suggested fan settings. I went back to the default fan settings but it seems that the Radeon Bios Editor makes a few changes from my original default settings. Is it safe to assume that I only need to worry about the look up table to adjust my fan settings? The "Transfer function (recommended) option" will always change even after I save my new BIOS settings

Here are my current clock settings:

[​IMG]

I didn't mess with the voltage since I didn't know what do to with this. So I left them the same and only worked with the clock settings. Anywhere you see a 300 or 723 settings was originally set to 800. What do you mean by the fan lockup? The only option I see is to lock my clock settings which I used on each BIOS edit.
  4. boogah New Member

Thanks Received:
    yah just use the lockup settings instead and click off the other ones.

what my setting will do is set the fan at 40% at startup then go up to 50% at 50C then 55%... which are all pretty quiet and cool.. Once the temp hits 70.. if it hit 70 it will run at 65%
    alf717 says thanks.
  5. alf717 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you those suggested setting are working fine. I had to RMA the card a month after having it. I slapped an Arctic Accelero S1 on it thinking it would be like my other 3870 but wow that turned into a disaster.
  6. boogah New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. alf717 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Out of curiosity are you running your 3870 with the stock cooler? Even with these settings I'm tempted to pick up a aftermarket cooler because my other 3870 with just an Accelero S1is running cooler than this card. Temps on my Visiontek 3870 are never above 45° but after adding this Visiontek OC edition it has been putting way to much heat into case. Just might be time for me to look into water cooling. Six 120's in my CM-690 do a great job but since the addition of this card it was heating things up too much. Think I'll give it a week and see how things turn out. Might just put my spare Accelero back now that my card is powering down in 2D mode.
  8. boogah New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the accelero with a 120mm fan on it and it was great but it got in the way of the crossfire bridge so i took it off and put the stock fan back on.

yup stock cooler >>

[​IMG]