1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I said I was done, but...

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by demonbrawn, Jul 14, 2006.

1. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you saw my last case gallery, I said I was finished modding. However, I did tag with (I hope) so my recent mod is justified. Anyway, I got so freakin annoyed with how loud my case really was. It probably has something to do with the fact that I have 9 fans in my case. Yeah I know, it's crazy, but I like to have a cool and efficient environment for my gaming hardware. To get to the interesting part, I was looking online for stuff to make your case quiet and I saw these acoustic absorbtion pads that you can stick to the sides of your case. I thought, $15+ for that! Screw that. I searched all through my house and found the perfect (and free) substitute: a grey polyester scarf that no one will ever use again and haven't used in about 5 years! It was perfect. I took some spray adhesive, cut the scarf to size for what I needed, and voila! It made a huge difference! My case was so loud in general that I didn't even notice when I installed the 2 extra 120mm fans on my external radiator, but now they actually seem loud! I also did some other little mods like put in some foam pads around the base of the psu wear it rests on the ledges that support it in the case, put a filter on the front intake, and a couple of other little things. I'll post pictures soon when it's all said and done. So, just to let you all know, if you have a polyester scarf lying around that you never wear and it matches your case, grab some spray adhesive and slap some in it. It really will make a difference. Sorry this was long...
  2. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nobody is ever done with their PC. The noise in my PC was driving me nuts too. Not during games, but when I'm just sitting here browsing the internet. So now I'm getting all new heatsinks and whatnot. The good thing for me though is that I did leave my PC the same for a good month and a half I think lol!
  3. bbriand New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought about taking some sound dampening stuff I had bought for my car and never used and getting it into my case (I think it is called BreadBoard).

Now I may have to try that!

Bill
  4. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, mine was noisy all the time, too. Especially after I put the water pump in there. It was vibrating my entire case and rattling a piece of metal that was a little bit loose in the 5.25" cage. Hah, it took me forever to figure out what it was. Ah, but it's so much better now. Now, I'm waiting on a see-thru cage for my PSU, 120mm fan grills, and some screws and I think that will be all for now. I need to stop spending money. Blasted addicting and expensive hobby...
  5. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    I wish I had a quiet very good temp system... This is how I roll

Internet, AIM, Xfire=low cooled (Quiet
    Music, multitasking apps=mid range cooled (Normal)
    Gaming=Loud (Loud but not to loud)

I just wish everything could be quiet, and cool amazingly.... There are some stuff, but not all!