1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I think my motherboard is dead, but how can I be sure?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by kodex, Nov 21, 2007.

1. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I was installing my replacement 8800GT (the first one broke) after it had just came via UPS. After putting it in the slot and connecting the PCI-e power cable, I turned on my PC. I noticed that the video card fan was spinning at 100%, which, as far as I know, is normal when you first turn on your computer. After about 10 seconds, I realised that I wasn't getting any video and that the fan was still at 100%. I also noticed that the backlight on my USB keyboard wasn't on. That means, I assume, that the USB ports weren't getting any power.

When I installed my last video card, a 2600XT, I had the same problem. Unplugging an unused USB extension cable somehow solved it. When I again had video troubles at a later date, switching my USB keyboard to a different port solved it. Now, after installing my 8800GT, no amount of rearranging the cables, checking power connections, or clearing my CMOS gets me video again. Are there any other things that I could try? I have and ECS AMD69GM-M2 Motherboard.

EDIT: Now that I think about exactly what I did, I remember forgetting to plug in my USB keyboard. When I started the computer (after installing the 8800GT), I got the POST screen, but it told me that there was no keyboard connected. I turned off my computer, connected it, and got no video.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  2. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    this will sound crazy

this will probably make everyone thk im crazy and have no idea wat im talkin about, but i and my borhter have had that problem b4 and when we googled wat to do we found a bunch of forums where people had put a piece of cardboard the same size as their mobo underneath their mobo and somehow that worked for them, and also worked for us it may or may not work but just an idea that worked for me, also is ur tower on a carpet floor?
    kodex says thanks.
  3. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    reset the bios.
    kodex says thanks.
  4. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Tell us all your hardware in the system spects please.
    Are you posting at all,..any beeps from MB at all?
    Manually switch off your PSU and wait a few seconds then try to boot again.
    kodex says thanks.
  5. Stige New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just a very wild guess but could it be that you are running out of power?
    What kind of PSU are you using?
    kodex says thanks.
  6. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies! In response to your questions/ comments:

a_ump: The reason that worked is because their motherboards were touching the metal of their cases. The cardboard seperated the solder points from the bare case metal and kept it from being grounded. I will try taking my motherboard out of my case later and seeing if that's the problem. I suppose that my USB ports could somehow be grounded causing the POST to screw-up.

fitseries3: I have reset my CMOS multiple times.

SK-1: My motherboard does not beep. However, if I remove my two RAM sticks, it will beep upon start-up. So, it doesn't look like it's totally dead. I switch my PSU to '0' with it plugged into a grounded outlet every time I open the case. I then rest my hands on the bare case metal when working to avoid ESD. I have the following system specs:

AMD X2 4600+ @ 2.64 Ghz (before I reset the CMOS)
    ECS AMD690GM-M2 motherboard
    2 x 1GB WINTEC AMPO DDR2-667 RAM
    250GB SATA Hard Disk
    eVGA 8800GT Superclocked
    Samsung SATA DVD Burner
    Xclio Stablepower 460W PSU

Stige: Xclio Stablepower 460W. It ran my previous 8800GT with no problems before it got KO'd.
  7. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    Have you got onboard vid? If so have you tried using it? Or try another GPU to see if your replacement card isnt D.O.A
    Hope this helps.
    kodex says thanks.
  8. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Xclio...... hhhmmmm... Maybe your last GT killed your PSU. I am pretty sure that brand is cheapo, correct if I am wrong.

Have you got another low end gfx card you can test in the system.

If not try booting the system up with the bare minimum attached.. ie. No Hdd's, 1 stick ram, no lights/fans etc...

See if you can get it to post..

Please be aware that using a cheapo psu can quite often take out components in your system when it does pack it in...
    kodex says thanks.
  9. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good news, I've got it working! It seems that my motherboard was grounding-out on something; when I removed it from the case it POSTed just fine. When I put it back it, it still worked. I also took this opportunity to vastly improve my cable management. What once was a giant knot is now straightened out and hidden behind my drive bays.

Thanks for the help and all the suggestions.
  10. BullGod

BullGod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, take it out. A hammer strike should do it...
  11. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    or if yer really lazy - a quick run through the dishwasher . . .
  12. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    I guess that is one way of making sure:rockout: