1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I think my Samsung 245bw has died

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PopcornMachine, Apr 13, 2012.

1. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I have been working from because I'm sick as a dog. Had my laptop connected to this monitor and left it up that was most of the day.

I came back to turn it off after a nap and noticed that my monitor would not show anything. The power button was lit, but switching to dvi and back did nothing. And I could not turn it off with the power button.

So I pulled the power cable, put it back in, and now it won't turn on.

Is PSU fried? This monitor does not use a brick, but a direct power cable, so the PSU must be internal.

Pretty sure it's just dead, but was hoping there might be a way of fixing it.

Thanks.
  2. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    Its gone. Try to let them repair it. Be aware that your OSD might not work anymore when its back, among other little annoyances.

Good luck.
    PopcornMachine says thanks.
  3. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    If you have time and know how to use a soldering iron you could try and fixit yourself by changing the caps on the power supply but that if it's the psu or take to a repair center or if is in warranty use it.
  4. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    Samsung is messy.. i think its best (considering your health) to give it to a professional technician.

get well soon!
  5. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys. I'd rather spend the money on a new monitor, and I don't have it right now anyway.

Unfortunately I don't know how to solder or how to figure out where the problem is. And yes, I'm not up to it in any case.

Will just have to make do. Funny thing is that my old dell 20" 1600x1200 panel that's 10 years old is still going.
  6. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Inside LCD TV there is a logic board and a power board.

Most likely it is a single cap on the power board that went out.

If you remove the back and give a visual inspection of the caps, one should be bulging or burst on top and discolored, leaking.

The caps are oriented with a positve and negative side and are marked on the cap and circuit board. Maintain polarity!

All the caps have specs printed on the outside.

Nichicon makes good replacements. guessing about .75 cents for the part. http://search.digikey.com/us/en/cat/capacitors/aluminum/131081?k=capacitor

Samsung has had an issue with certain models. I fixed a TV for a friend, so this is first hand advice.

Google: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJTfdDTAQpo&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfGi2Au8xGA&feature=related

Digikey.com has parts. http://www.digikey.com/?WT.z_yt_ad_ref=Overlays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY&feature=related

Take photo of inside parts for disassembly, so you know how to put it back together.

The other option is to get it fixed...costly, about $200.

or

Take the power board out and bring it to someone who can solder a new part in for you. Order the part yourself.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Thanks I'll take a look when I'm feeling better. Who knows, maybe I can fix it.
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yep, I had a Samsung LED with the same exact problem, it had a single bad cap on the PSU board.

I was too lazy to dig out my soldering iron, so I just ordered a remanufactured PSU board from ebay for $20.

The funniest part was that the new PSU had clearly had the same cap replaced that blew on mine, luckily the ebay seller had recapped it with a much better quality cap than the original.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    My lg didn't have any bulging caps, all where looking just fine but they obviously weren't and after i changed them everything turned as good as new, just basic stuff really if you have a little time and patience.