1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I upgraded my BIOS and now my RAID Controller Doesn't Work. Thanks MSI!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Robert-The-Rambler, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Well, I got ambitious today and upgraded my BIOS version from 1.3 to 1.5 with my MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard. I thought it would be a good idea and maybe increase the performance of my Phenom 9600 Black Edition. Right after I flashed the BIOS Windows Vista 32 bit kept asking me to install the drivers for my Promise RAID controller. I did that numerous times and still the same thing. I installed the drivers and it keeps asking to me to install the drivers at every boot up. Now I flashed this BIOS in Windows with Live Update software from MSI. I really don't want to even go the floppy route and downgrade the BIOS back to 1.3. I don't even have a floppy drive. Anybody have any idea what could be going on. It really sucks to see a terrabyte of potential storage just disappear.
  2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, check your BIOS, and make sure that the RAID support is on. It could be messing with you.
  3. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    Its also worth checking for a RAID bios upgrade, Ive had a similar issue with ASUS bios's in the past.
  4. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    It changed something with the Promise ROM

The update is described as follows.

BIOS Type AMI BIOS File Size
    Version 1.5 Update Date 2008-06-17
    Description - Update CPU Module.
    - Update Promise ROM version.
    - Fixed system cannot resume from S3 with NX6600 VGA card.

That is what is says. The Promise controller on 790FX boards is not controlled in the BIOS other than to turn it on or off it seems. I'm pretty well convinced it will never work without flashing the BIOS again so I ordered a PCI RAID controller from Newegg. I don't plan on messing with the BIOS unless absolutely necessary.:(
  5. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Probably a good idea. I never update the BIOS unless something is wrong and I am experienced at it.
  6. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Usually, after flashing a Bios, everyhting is returned to default.

Go in bios choose "Load Optimized Default" and re-tune all your settings one by one.
  7. 2wicked

2wicked

Thanks Received:
    Robert-The-Rambler says thanks.
  8. Rintrah New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do not use MSI live update to flash your BIOS. The MSI Forum administrators have developed a USB BIOS flash Utility, which works extremely well. Checkout the this link: http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=113295.0 You will have to register as a member to use the tool but believe me its worth it. As 2wicked said Bios 1.5 updates the Promise firmware version only, ( the one you see at boot up) not the software drivers. Flash utiliy also contains a readme file with the proper procedure for flashing your BIOS
  9. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    I got the latest drivers

It still does the same thing. It says the drivers are installed but when I check to see if they are working they don't work.
  10. nINJAkECIL

nINJAkECIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    did you re-configure your RAID array AFTER you updated your bios?

it's true as what Polarman says, after you updated/downgraded your bios, everything back to normal/default.
  11. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    why are you on 1.5 anyway flash to 1.1B3 its a a better BIOS with more options and no TLB fix
  12. OldMX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the same issue with an asus board, on every boot redetected the network card...very annoying...well it was the board itself, got messed up after a non-needed bios flash :(
  13. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem with two of My K9A2 Platinum Boards

Nothing that you do changes the fact that the Promise controller will not work with BIOS 1.5. Anyhow I installed a cheap PCI based software RAID controller from a company called SYBA. Installed rather easily but I have yet to test its function. Anyhow it appears my hard drives will now work in somewhat of a RAID 0 config. How well they work should be interesting.

This is the card I got.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124008

Was it a good choice?