1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I wanna jump on the netbook bandwagon!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dogmeat, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is a good netbook under 400$ that has good battery life (4+ hrs?), a webcam, mic, and speakers, the ability to run basic office apps, Firefox, and run a TV tuner on Linux?

Also, what is a good USB TV tuner that works for Linux?

2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. BloodTotal

BloodTotal

Thanks Received:
    I don't really see why everyone likes netbooks, I hate netbooks, I would never use one

maybe later on, I don't know

4. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    In what way? No wireless N, traditional non SSD HDD, same specs really, besides those points.

6. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Meh, netbooks...

I had a Dell Mini 9 for a while. It was cool but in the end it was just to small and slow. I ended up selling it and buying a full size laptop.

I now have a 14" Acer Laptop that only cost me $400. Battery life is only about a half an hour shorter and its only about 2.5 lbs heavier. Spec wise its just the basic intel t3400 dualcore, intel m4500 graphics, 3gb of ram, N wifi, and a 250gb hdd. It just blows my old netbook out of the water and it can do so much more. Plus it still fits nicely in my backpack and I hardly notice any extra weight.

7. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    But are you running Linux or Windows on that netbook? I think the small form factor ASUS and HP notebooks, with the 7.5hr battery life are perfect, not to mention that I can easily slap a 2gb stick of RAM in and have similar specs to my current Compaq.

Maybe I could even play WoW on it, bahaha!

8. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I ran Windows Vista Business on it. It was heavily vlited and ran pretty good. I personally thing that vista ran better than xp on it.

WoW will run but not very playable. You will average around 15fps but it will slow down much more in heavily populated areas and wide open spaces.

9. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm pretty sure CS:S on a low res would do fine in Wine, as it's relatively compatible with OpenGL last I checked.

10. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Nope. CS:S will not run on the current generation of netbooks. Won't even start up.

11. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Plenty of people have done it, according to youtube. GMA950 should cover it fine.

12. Dogmeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    So do I go for the better battery life and keyboard of the Wind? (Wind has 30 mins more battery for near 6 hours under stress, and a much more usable right shift key. For a touch typer like myself that's a good feature.) Or do I go for the ASUS EEE1000, with the inconvenient shift key but better graphics chip?