1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I want to Build my Own Pc but I Need A LOT of Help

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Blaiyan, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can't go wrong with Brandon's, MM's, or CDA's suggestions. I've have many current generation chips and boards, and for most anything you do, both platforms will serve you well. If I have one opinion, it's on the board. I've owned probably 14 different Intel 1366 and 1156 boards over the last 2 years, and I can say that Gigabyte boards have been the best by far in terms of performance and reliability. With AMD, I would recommend Asus first, then Gigabyte and Biostar. If I had to pick a configuration for you, I'd probably offer something very close to Brandon's, though I'd add an SSD for a boot drive, and to save a little cash I'd go with a gtx 460. That's just me though, as I'm not an avid gamer.

2. Blaiyan New Member

Thanks Received:
    so i like the

i7 950 processor
    both cases look great to me
    ddr3 3 x 2g ram
    I think I should go with the 850w psu
    as for graphics card i'll stick with the one from amazon it's about the same but $120 cheaper.
    also i'll stick with the pioneer bluray drive i found on amazon
    I think i'll get a 500GB HDD for my main HD. Might be more stable than a 1TB.

as for OS. Shoud I get windows 7? Does the cooling gel for the processor come with it? Do I even need it? Can i get that at newegg if so? Should I also buy the wrist band grounding clip for static?

3. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7, without question. Get some good quality thermal paste. It will help keep temps down. You may want to consider an aftermarket cooler too, if you ever want to overclock your cpu. No need for the antistatic band. Just make sure you work on a hard surface, and ground yourself by touching the case frame before working on the build. I've built nearly 500 systems, and never shorted out a board doing a build.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  4. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look at my post.. You don't have to get the 932 if you don't want too.

The PSU i reccomended is a very good one. It's the HX series which is much better than the TX brandon suggested.

The GPU you found on amazon is already 1 generation old. A gtx 570 performs like a gtx 480 and uses less power and less heat.

A bluray drive isn't a bad idea. Just get it off newegg.

Just grab the 1tb drive if your doing a lot with video stuff. It take's up quite a bit of space eventually and you will want a 1tb. A 1tb drive will last you as long as a 500gb drive and their is no problems with stability.

Definitely go with windows 7. Xp is getting way out dated and you NEED a 64-bit version.

The stock intel heat sink fan comes with the core i7 as it is a retail version. These already come with pre applied thermal paste so no need for that. If you look at my post above though it will be very beneficial on thermal paste and a different CPU cooler.

Blaiyan says thanks.
  5. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    The only thing that makes the HX series "better" is the modular design. The circuitry is nearly identical. If modular cables are worth the $40 extra, then go for it. I personally like them, because you avoid having to tie back unneeded cables, and gives you more room inside of your rig, but some would argue that that a modular design can create some power stability issues.

Blaiyan says thanks.
  6. Blaiyan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. Wow where do I start. Okay you guys love that graphics card haha. But i'm going with something cheaper. The windows 64 bit. will all the software i've downloaded for windows xp work on w7 64bit? I see that's OEM and quite a bit cheaper than the regular price. Exactly what does it lack? I don't know how to overclock and won't go there. I don't want to make my system unstable. As for the drive i'm going with a blu-ray/dvd/cd one. Are you guys sure I should go with a 800w psu? I like the board too but the gigabyte has my eye.

7. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    As long as the software is fully coded in 32-bit (99.9% of stuff this decade was), you'll be fine with 64-bit. OEM is no different from retail, except you don't get a box.

Blaiyan says thanks.
  8. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, go for that gigabyte board then. Here is another good gigabyte board that's cheaper. The gtx 470 isn't a bad card either so go for that if that's all your budget can reach. Overclocking isn't hard at all and im sure after you get the rig you will want to OC it as their is a huge performance benefit.

9. Blaiyan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you so much josh. This is a big help. I'll go with the psu you suggested. okay, it's Thermal Paste (cooling gel lol).

But it's so much more. I definitely think about it if it's less power and less heat. Maybe by March, April it will have dropped slightly in price? Hopefully.

Sorry for the late post. Windows crashed and I had to start up again.

10. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah no problem man! If you see any helpful posts you can hit the thanks button in the bottom right of the post. So their has been alot of helpful post's in here that im sure people would appreciate if you thank'd them with the button :D

Anyways yeah, it's up to you on the PSU. It's a modular PSU that you don't have all the extra bulk and cables that your not using and don't need to hide. Im currently running a modular PSU and im glad i am. All im using is 1 string of sata cables and 1 string of molex cables so those other strings would be getting in my way.

Weird i just had a problem with my m2000 and now all it's doing is loading windows and BSOD's :mad:

Blaiyan says thanks.
  11. Blaiyan New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's it. And I save about $100-$200? Hold on but does it also lack any documents or manual that I might want?

12. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    Blaiyan and Josh154 say thanks.
  13. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    You really don't need any doc for Win 7. If you really need to troubleshoot, google is your friend. :)

14. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, i forgot to mention that! I'm taking a trip to texas after christmas and will be stopping at a micro center and picking up a 950 for that 200 deal!

15. Blaiyan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool. I just checked and it looks like they just opened a store in Yonkers, NY. In the Bronx and I live in Queens. Though i've never been to the bronx I could probably have someone get it for me or maybe they'll ship it to me. That will probably be like a $80 savings. Thanks man. I may pick it up first next month if it's still the same price.

16. Blaiyan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Silly Question but Why are the memory slots different colors on the gigabyte motherboard?

17. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just different color comobos compared to different other brands. Say there is 3 blue slots and 3 white slots all the blue slots is 1 channel and all white slots is another channel.

Blaiyan says thanks.
  18. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Different channels

Make sure you get windows 7 x64 home or pro (ultimate is a waist for normal use)
    x64 will let you use your 6gb of RAM

Blaiyan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Just trying to understand something:

Why not go with the Xeon I posted? 4core 8 threads just like your i7 950 and costs hundreds less to build, comes with a blu ray burner, not slacking in the graphics nor in the ram department. It isn't no slouch.

Newegg.com Account Login Page

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K56W Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic...

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 AT...

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 ...

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready...

Intel Xeon X3440 Lynnfield 2.53GHz 8MB L3 Cache LG...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ...

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RP...

LITE-ON 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-R...

Could even add an SSD or another 6850 to that.

Blaiyan and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  20. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    That is true the X3440 is a nasty chip! i have a X3430 (same as x3440 but without HT) and i wprime32 @ 7.9 sec and on my i7 its @ 6.7 sec, there very close in performance but with the extra HT it would run close to the I7 950

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Blaiyan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like the graphics card. That board seems to have some features that the more expensive one doesn't but the GA-X58 says it's triple channel and has a higher memory capacity. Also it has support for a 6 core cpu if I ever wanted to upgrade mines in the future.

Does that Blu-ray writer do double layer?

23. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Wait at least a month to get your hands to the new 1155 lgas from intel.
    I heard that the mobos are already out to buy, but there are no processors :p

24. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    I somewhat agree. since it is going to take you a few months to get the cash together, consult us again before you buy anything. 90% of what we recommended won't change, but (such as will likely be the case with Intel's new line) if by chance something better/cheaper has come around, then you don't want to regret getting a bad deal.

angelkiller and JrRacinFan say thanks.
  25. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    They are different platforms. The 950 is 1366, and the xeon system is 1156. All 1366 boards are capable of triple channel, 1156 just dual. The 1156 will be cheaper, the 1366 is a slightly better platform.

Blaiyan says thanks.