• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I want to Build my Own Pc but I Need A LOT of Help

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
A few things if you do buy used:
Buy an MSI board or buy a new board(not open box asus); in case if anything goes wrong with the motherboard. I beleive they still do RMA's through the serial no.(because they have manuf date in the serial) and not the model # + proof of purchase.

Do NOT buy a used power supply.

RAM; make sure you have your seller memtest them for at least 5 passes to make sure they are still good and functional.

Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, L...

I also suggest not getting 12GB and to try out 6GB first and foremost.

Last edited:

Josh154

System Name 24/7 folder
Processor Intel core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 1.216v
Motherboard ASRock X58 Extreme
Cooling Corsair H50
Memory G.SKILL 6gb 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) 2x evga 8800GTS 512mb SLI
Storage WD Caviar Blue 320gb
Display(s) Vizo 32"1080p
Case NZXT Lexa S
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750w
Software Windows 7 home premium 64-bit
What Jr just listed would also be a great choice. Add your OS and a BD and it's more than 500 off of what you originally listed.

Id definitely agree with what he said about buying used PSU's and mobo's also. That's the only thing im skeptical about anymore and i would like to buy new mobo's for warranty purposes but i just can't afford it right now :(

Blaiyan

I just wanted to make a little update. So I had two plans and surprise surprise nothing worked out exactly how I wanted and both fell through money wise. No big deal I just have to stick to my initial plan. I should hopefully be ready to start in May. So let's see...

I got the Asus Rampage III Formula instead of the gigabyte ud5. I know it was recommended but I just really liked the spacing on the asus board better. The UD5 would've had one extra pci-e 2.0 slot but it would've been of no use since the graphics card would've covered it up.

I was all set to get the g.skills ripjaw (2 x4GB) ram but i'm having trouble finding if that is compatible with my board. I know about Crucial but their site would be better if it could cover all the ram currently available from more than two brands. Anyway i'm supposed to buy the hyper 212 cpu cooler and this ram in a couple days but the ram keeps going out of stock quickly.

I got the haf-932 cooler master case with 5 blue led fans. I kind of think I should've gotten the haf x with all black insides but I like my choice. Also bought a lg blu-ray burner.

For some ridiculous reason I bought the corsair ax-1200 psu. I could've just gotten the 850w and saved $100. I don't know. I just thought I should have more than enough power for whatever.

Next month I buy the processor. I was settled on the i7-950 but as you know the priced dropped on the 960. It's $30 more for only .2ghz. I'm still settled on the 950 because the 970 will likely be $300 by this time next year and i'm going to buy that as my final processor upgrade for this pc. Plus the 950 comes with two free game coupons.

After some struggling on a decision I'm staying with the plan to get the twp evga gtx 460's even though the 560 Ti's almost had me changing my mind. I'll get one in May and other for SLI in June and probably a $40 memory card reader.

Cut the HDD to 500gb for c drive. The only thing that I plan to save to the c dirve is installed software. As I have a tendency to restore to factory settings a lot. I considered the SSD drives but they are overly expensive to me and I heard they don't last long. Anyhow I looked at the 10,000 rpm velociraptor WD drives. If it wasn't $100 extra (plus 200 less gigs though not even needed) I might have considered them. I watched vids saying that they're really fast if you get two and put them in Raid-0 but I just want to know if that would somehow improve recording video to your hard drive? Speaking of, I recently spent about 48 hours trying to figure out how to clone a drive on my mother's old hard drive. Software didn't work and I didn't understand partitions. I thought she had a 15gb hard drive lol. And was super worried when I took out a drive and the pc was still showing a c and d drive lol. Anyway finally figured that out.

I'm taking you guys advice and now i'm not getting the windows seven ultimate full version. I'm getting windows 7 professional oem. No sense it spending extra money and not being able to use the software on more than one pc.

Last edited:

Blaiyan

I know it's annoying to revive old threads but this will be my last update. I finished building my PC and everything is running great. I just want to give finals thanks to all those who helped me out here. Thanks You.

Here are the final parts I settled on.

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2ghz (leveled up to 3.6ghz)
LG Black 10x Blu-ray Burner
Cooler Master Haf 932 Blue LED (full tower case)
Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU
G.Skills Ripjaw (2 x 4GB) ram (auto 1066 now 1200 with level up)(can't do 1600)
Hyper 212 Plus (cooler) feels a little loose but work really well.
Asus Rampage III Formula (motherboard)
Logitech MK550 (Keyboard & Mouse)
Artic Silver 5 (thermal paste)
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate (retail)
EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit (used evga precision to bump the shader clock to 1800 from 1700 but the effective memory clock only goes to 2500 but newegg says is supposed to be 4100. Is something wrong or is it normal for it to only be half?)

Of course I'll be adding a lot more to my pc over time (next month a card reader and or capture card) and swapping out parts but this is great for now. I couldn't even run nba 2k9 without stuttering on the lowest settings on my old pc but now it's smooth. I'm going to try forcing higher image quality with control panel.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
The memory is DDR which stands for double data rate so it should be double of what you see in Evga precision. What about core clock, you didn't push that also?

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
I wouldn't buy from Amazon, personally. You're in the States, so I'd reccommend Newegg.

Why not Amazon? I've bought many parts from them in the past, most recently a P8P67 Pro motherboard, and I am very happy with their service. Plus, they were cheaper than Newegg.

Why not Amazon? I've bought many parts from them in the past, most recently a P8P67 Pro motherboard, and I am very happy with their service. Plus, they were cheaper than Newegg.

Return policy, ease of finding parts, and customer service. Newegg has all three of these things down and right, where amazon is towing the line between acceptable and crap in each of these categories.

Additionally, Amazon does not exclusively deal in computer hardware. Newegg does, and generally understands that what you need is a quick response. This translates to cross-shipping for parts, and a fast RMA process.

The first time something needs replaced you'll spend more on Amazon than you saved. Newegg might be slightly more expensive on some products, but an investment of several thousand dollars deserves an extra 20-40 for the security that Newegg provides.

Put concisely; Newegg or Tigerdirect are the only two places you should deal with (barring a local Fry's) when building a PC. Amazon is fine for some things, but is a headache for PC building.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Return policy, ease of finding parts, and customer service. Newegg has all three of these things down and right, where amazon is towing the line between acceptable and crap in each of these categories.

Additionally, Amazon does not exclusively deal in computer hardware. Newegg does, and generally understands that what you need is a quick response. This translates to cross-shipping for parts, and a fast RMA process.

The first time something needs replaced you'll spend more on Amazon than you saved. Newegg might be slightly more expensive on some products, but an investment of several thousand dollars deserves an extra 20-40 for the security that Newegg provides.

Put concisely; Newegg or Tigerdirect are the only two places you should deal with (barring a local Fry's) when building a PC. Amazon is fine for some things, but is a headache for PC building.

I agree with the quick response, but how did you get Newegg to cross-ship? They have explicitly stated to me that cross-shipping is not part of their return process a few times I had to RMA something. They even once sent me the wrong motherboard (in 2008), and I contacted them to get them to replace it with the correct one. They refused to cross-ship it to me even when I suggested that they could charge the second board to me while it was in transit; the service rep told me that the only way I could do cross shipping is if I returned the wrong motherboard the standard way and took the 15% restocking fee.

In all honesty, the retailer only matters for the first month. After 30 days at most sites, including Newegg, you have to go through the manufacturer to initiate the RMA, and thats hit or miss with regards to the quality of service.

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Just so you know, it would be cheaper to buy the 970 now than to buy a 950 then upgrade to 970 for $300 ish later. It will come out to the same amount or more than for a 970 now. I have a 950 and 970, and trust me the 970 is worth the extra money if you'll actually be using it.