1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I want to upgrade my WiFi adapter...

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Arjai, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    I have a ASUS S56CA-DH51 with an Atheros N card.

I want, and need, a Dual Band a/c adapter. ASUS will not give me any recommendations, Literally said they cannot comment.

Why they would want to put me through this run-around is beyond me!

So, yea, Google, so far? Nothing. Perhaps I don't know how to narrow it down.

I want to know what WILL work in my laptop. I went through an agonizing nightmare, a few years ago, trying to update my brother's wifi card in his Acer. I was hoping that I could avoid that by contacting ASUS. No go.

Anybody here have any advice? I cannot afford to be opening this thing up a bunch of times and buying and returning parts.

Thanks, in advance for the endless help I am sure to find here on the World's best website!!

:lovetpu:

I would like to avoid having to use a USB adapter. I have enough stuff to lug around and try not to break!!

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    For USB I recommend the Amped Wireless ACA1. For internal PCI-E I recommend Intel. Intel for PCI-E has higher compatibility and works well.

USB is always easier and more recommended for laptops since some laptops have BIOS/EFI "whitelists" and you have to get certain cards that work with it and often times the cards are only available through the laptop vendor and they gouge you on pricing.

However USB has the added bonus of bulk too.

Some Azurewave ones might work as well.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    You may want to look at this page over at Gen Tech PC for configuring their ASUS S56CA-DH51.
    Scroll down to the WiFi card section and it lists quite a few choices.

WiFi
    [​IMG]
    802.11 Wireless-N 2.4Ghz Single-Band 130 Mbps + Bluetooth 4.0
    Intel Wireless-N 2230 2.4Ghz Single-Band 130 Mbps / WiDi [+ $15.00]
    Intel Advanced-N 6235 Wireless-N 2.4Ghz/5.0Ghz Dual-Band 300 Mbps + Bluetooth 4.0 / WiDi [+ $29.00]
    Intel Advanced-N 6250 2.4Ghz/5.0Ghz Dual-Band 300 Mbps + WiMAX / WiDi [+ $75.00]
    Intel Ultimate-N 6300 2.4Ghz/5.0Ghz Dual-Band 300 Mbps with 2 antenna / WiDi [+ $49.00]
    Intel Ultimate-N 6300 2.4Ghz/5.0Ghz Dual-Band 450 Mbps with 3 antenna / WiDi [+ $69.00]
    Killer Wireless-N 1202 2.4Ghz/5.0Ghz Dual-Band 300 Mbps + Bluetooth 4.0 [+ $55.00]

If you email them a question or two maybe they can give you definitive info.

Goodluck.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    Arjai says thanks.
  4. flmatter

flmatter

Thanks Received:
    Did you go to the Asus forum boards? Or the RoG forum boards? Sometimes you will get more info there as well, they helped me with my ROG G75VW laptop. Unfortunately my recommendation is a usb adapter dlink has some good and small dual band units, asus usb ones are a tad long but take up no more space than a thumb drive.... my .02

you have 1 usb 3.0 so you should be fine on faster bandwidth's

Arjai says thanks.
    2 Million points folded for TPU
  5. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Yes, not the ROG but, I spent a few hours on the ASUS forums and Site. Service guy chatter was very cordial but, could not tell me any recommendations.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. flmatter

flmatter

Thanks Received:
    I am going to buy this Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for mine here shortly. Although disassembly for me is going to be a biotch and I might as well buy matching ram for mine because 2 sticks are under keyboard, lol. Good luck with your upgrade :)

Arjai says thanks.
  7. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Fired off an E-Mail...Hopefully they will, at least, give me a dual band card recommendation, that is not Black-listed....Or White-LISTED... however it is. I just want to get a DUAL-BAND A/C Card for this comp....Why should it be so effing crazy?

ASUS knows what will work, they built the frickin' thing!! But, NO, they can't tell me what will work....sad. :confused::(

95Viper says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Um, really? 32 bucks? Dual Band...? AWESOME!! Found one for $22!!

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Just posted on the ROG site. We'll see what they come up with.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    I replaced my memory a few weeks after I got this thing, waiting on shipping, opened up the back...only one was free to remove!! ASUS said I would void the warranty by opening up the back. Did it anyways. Now I have a 2x4 GB set of Kingston DDR3 1600's.

Definitely an improvement from the mismatched 6GB that came with it! Unfortunately, did not even think about looking at the WiFi adapter. I certainly hope it isn't soldered in!! That would suck!! :shadedshu:

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. flmatter

flmatter

Thanks Received:
    I did get that AC7260 and installation went smooth. Running on my 5ghz now and everything is stable and quick. Google disassembly of your laptop and watch youtube vid or 2 of the disassembly of your laptop to familiarize yourself with the process so it goes smoothly

Arjai says thanks.
  12. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    I'm gonna order one later this week, after I get paid.

Crunching for Team TPU