• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i3-530 Bus Speed

bmellen

I'm seeing the multiplier changing but not the Bus Speed when I go between speed profiles on my Asus P7H55D-M EVO. Bug/Feature/Me?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Probably a bug.

Does CPU-Z show that the bus speed has changed? Post a screen shot of CPU-Z and RealTemp before and after you change bus speeds.

Continuously calculating the bus speed is a waste of CPU cycles so RealTemp cheats and doesn't do this 100% accurately. It works for me when using SetFSB but I know it doesn't work for everyone.

Sometimes when you go up to full load RealTemp will recalculate the bus speed. At idle, the most accurate way to do this is to continuously put brief loads on the CPU which I'd rather not do. That's what CPU-Z does. It's more accurate but I prefer more efficient.

Here's the latest version of RealTemp. I'm not sure if it will be any better.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

bmellen

I have SpeedStep enabled in BIOS and am using ASUS EPU-6 to switch speeds...
CPUZ does show correctly as I change speeds.

Thanks for sending the beta. (I had RealTemp3.40 when I posted) With the beta, it seems to sometimes update the Bus Speed - about once a minute - but sometimes much less often/unpredictable/stops - less when under load with Prime95?! I have not yet seen a clear pattern re: when it updates. It would be nice if it was a bit more often/predictable. Does it really take that much processor to update, say, every 20 seconds?

I also notice the multiplier is updated about once/sec. It appears to be the actual(?) multiplier (as changed with speedstep). CPUZ seems to show the set (?) multiplier, not the actual (?) multiplier. This is a good thing.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
RealTemp is primarily a temperature monitoring utility. It does pretty good with the MHz but is not compatible with EPU-6. I don't have enough time or hardware to test on so I don't plan to improve the bus speed algorithm.

RealTemp only updates the bus speed when it is able to detect a clear pattern. When lightly loaded, that might take a long time. At full load it is easier to determine the actual bus speed very accurately.

On the non QX Core 2 and on the Core i7/i5/i3 CPUs, the RealTemp multiplier reporting is second to none. It uses high performance timers within the CPU and is able to very accurately determine the average multiplier. When lightly loaded, the method CPU-z uses is not as accurate at determining the multiplier. I'll finally be improving Core 2 QX support, hopefully later this week when some new hardware arrives. :)