1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i5-3570k : not bad but a little disappointed...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by LagunaX, Apr 13, 2012.

1. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
  2. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    that depends on the voltage you are at Smaller circuitry = less Resistance = less voltage/amperage needed = lower heat

3. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    One of my Friends has an i5 2500K which died twice in 6months. he was running @4Ghz, stock volts

4. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Been running 24/7 4.8ghz he must of had a bad psu overvolting the chip or inadequate stock cooling.

5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    nope. he is a reviewer, so cant accuse him of those stuff. he checked it himself. this will be the second time he will be RMAing

6. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    hes doing something wrong or his board is defective
    dirty power could also be to blame

7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Actually smaller circuitry has more resistance because there is less area for the charge to move, therefore increasing current density, which determines how much heat is generated. According to Ohm's Law, I = V / R, where I is current, V is voltage, and R is resistance, in a circuit where resistance doesn't change (ideal fully loaded circuit,) R becomes a constant (which isn't true, because hot metals conduct electricity less efficiently than cold metals) so any increases to voltage will increase amperage.

So lets say you have a CPU that runs stock at 1.30v (for an easy number,) with some static resistance R, that has a TDP of 90 watts. The calculated current for the CPU would be P = I * V, since we're solving for current, we get P / V = I, 90-watts / 1.3 volts = 69.2 Amps. Using the amperage we can calculate the theoretical loaded resistance of the CPU (this is all very theoretical, a lot doesn't work this way, but it will give an idea for numbers.)

Since I = V / R, we can reformulate that to be R = V / I which would be R = 1.30v / 69.2 Amps = 1.88x10^-2 Ohms. Using this resistance we can calculate the current of an over-clock at 1.42 volts.

I = 1.4v / 1.88x10^-2 = 75.5 Amps which is 6.3 amps more, a 10% increase in current.

According to Joule's first law, Q is directly proportional to (I^2)*R. So heat increases exponentially as current increases. So if you double the current, heat quadruples. You triple the current, heat increases by a factor of 9.

So increasing the voltage on our pretend CPU by 9% just increased your heat generated by 19%. Smaller circuitry has the benefit of using less power, but has the adding issue of generating more heat because of the smaller circuitry. The exponential heat problem starts earlier for IVB because it is already running hot because of the smaller circuitry.

IVB's lower stock voltage (and in turn lower current,) is what makes IVB use less electricity, not the smaller circuitry (which actually diminished some of that benefit.)

Relinquish says thanks.
  8. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Didin't this hole small die less heat less power thing worked till now ? Or is it from now on ?

:confused: starting to get confused :wtf:

9. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    @radusorin It is still beneficial due to the voltage decrease, and it is projected down into the single nm for silicon I believe. After that they may have to turn to other mediums such as carbon nanotubes.
    The 3D transistors may also be contributing to heat, although that is merely speculation on my part.

10. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    :respect:
    BUT
    all the goes right out the window when we start talking about super conductive materials
    won't be to far off down strange haxoring starts to occur when you get down below 10nm

11. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    that would make a bit of sense as there is more surface area to the gate so it should dissipate heat quicker, but the shorter interconnect lentgh and lower gate operateing power normally mitigates this ,its a new tech and its not like its worse;)

More than 25k PPD
  12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Except...
    A: CPUs aren't made of super conducting material.
    B: 10nm has bigger issues than this, chip manufacturers will have to figure out how to get around the quantum tunneling problem before they get past 16nm.

13. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    So for now, as long as the materials remain the same the maximum size will be 16nm?

@Vulpesveritas the same thought haunts my mind. Well at list SB (no 3D) less heat than IVB (whit 3D) and till now at list it seems to be a performance increase as well. I mean apparently a 4.8 IV can keep up whit a 5.0-5.2 SB.

14. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like hardcore overclockers might want to wait for the next stepping then, I had high hopes for OCing out of the gate on this one.

15. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    It would be funny if this will give AMD an enthusiast edge for OC this year.... eh fanboys can hope, right? Then again the resonant clock mesh may cause a similar issue, and we won't know till Trinity.
    On topic though, yeah it's seeming about a 10% IPC increase for Ivy. So it's not all bad news, though I wonder how it does under higher volts.

16. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    except that clock for clock SB-E is outpacing IVB. IVB-E is going to be a real wild card in terms of performance, heat, and overclocking, but we'll have to wait until they're released to know for sure how they stack up to IVB, SB, and SB-E in those aspects.

17. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    It won't be long before they START using Super conductors :)

18. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    @onemoar: Or at least get creative. I believe Intel is trying germanium alloy and patonting it for use in processors, while I remember something with IBM and carbon nanotubes.
    I don't believe either is a superconductor at high tempratures. So eh.

19. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Carbon nanotubes is to combat the quantum tunneling problem at 16nm and smaller.

20. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
  21. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
  22. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Hmm glad I just went ahead and went the sandybridge. Yes ivybridge seems nice but it doesnt seem like its panning out to be that much better.