1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i5-4670K help to get stabile

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by puma99dk|, Jul 23, 2013.

1. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Love that wallpaper.

Anyway, those temperatures are pretty high for stock. You probably struck out with the CPU, or it's overvolted for no good reason (can't it go below 1.25? Try for a bit lower, ideally lower than 1.1V for stock)

2. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Lower that voltage, stock voltage for the CPU should be ~1.000v. 1.25v is for ~44-45x core and 43x cache/ring. Voltage causes the largest temperature differences with these chips.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Looks normal to me.

In the Aida64 FPU test I can see your voltage is pushing 1.254 volts

for reference I can run 4.6ghz OC with my test rig chip at 1.2v so as you can guess at stock all auto settings the voltages get massive increased during heavy FPU tests due to another VID that is enabled during AVX workloads and the like.

Also whatever Cadaveca says on Haswell is pretty much 100% right lol

Regardless pretty much what Cadaveca says = right lol
    Try manually setting CPU voltage to a static 1.15 volts rerun test see what your temps are

At stock with a 1.15 set voltage you should hit around 73'C in AIDA FPU test
    At 1.2v I hit 84'C with a H110 and 88'C with a Seidon 120XL.

As such set voltage manually turn off XMP and you should max out at 70-72C stock

Overclock with XMP enabled 1.2v manual on the cpu and 1.15v on CPU cache at 39x multi you should be able to get 4.2-4.6 GHz if your chip is good. with static set voltage your temps will be more consistent. Once you have gained that knowledge you can go back to using Offset voltages and move on from there.

As such from my testing with an H110 at 1.2v 4.2ghz = roughly 84c in the FPU test.

As for those saying Voltage is to high if you dont have Haswell and you havent used it dont say its to high Haswell automatically receives that kind of voltage bump when optimized settings are loaded.

My chip boosts to 1.234 volts in AIDA FPU test at stock unless I manually set the voltages. Haswell is a different animal compared to Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge. I know ive had my fair share of problems as well.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    puma99dk| and ...PACMAN... say thanks.
  4. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i am new to the Haswell bios and i need to learn it first, atm i set it from auto til Offset mode instead of adaptive but i will get the hang of the bios soon i hope :(

*EDIT*

so far so good, trying out adaptive mode now, and put the offset underneath it to -0.100 so now my max voltage in Aida64 is 1.150~1.151V while CPU-Z shows mostly Stabile at 1.152V so i guess lowering offset to -0.200~0.250 should do the trick, damn this is getting more and more advanced ~.~

*EDIT2*

now i am running it at 1.049~1.051V in static but i really like that the volt changes depending on what my cpu does but i guess that time is over, if i can't get Offset or Adaptive mode down to like - 0.200~

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    now i have run memtest86 from usb and no errors for over 54mins:

[​IMG]

and now i have tried offset mode in + 0.005 and my core voltage jumps directly to 1.255V with Aida64, so i am wondering if there is anything wrong :confused:

here is BSOD report showed in BlueScreenView from my last crash:

[​IMG]

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Like I told you in any test that uses AVX and stresses the FPU even with offset voltages there is a HIGHER VID

example every single game on the planet will max my chip at 1.147 volts soon as i load a stress app like IBT/ Linx / Prime95/ Aida FPU it pushes 1.234 adding an offset voltage increases the 1.147 to higher voltage and same goes for the 1.234. Essentially your just adding more voltage to the default VID that in place. This is how things work now if you want temps under control

Overclock and stress test your system at 1.2v-1.25v find your max overclock, then once your STABLE with a set voltage play some games see what your voltage is in games and regular apps. Adjust offset voltage so thats the voltage you get. Essentially use manual voltages for finding your max stable then use offsets after that.

7. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    well it crashed while i was gaming and running the stress test.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to Haswell.

You are not the only user having issues at "stock". Crazy had issues as well. MxPhenom, who just got his gear...problems.

Looking at your BSOD's, they are mostly CPU Cache voltage or memory-related. They might also be due to the CPU pulling a bit more power than it should.

In your BIOS is an option that says "ASUS Optimized Turbo"...try setting it to enabled, or disabled, and see if that makes any difference.

Secondly, try with XMP disabled. I've mentioned in a few of my board reviews now that some memory kits from past platforms are causing issues. It could simply be your CPU doesn't like your ram kit. So try sticking ram in other ram slots, too.

What you need to do, is find out stock voltages. Then set them manually. Some boards are setting higher cache voltage than needed for "stock", too. Use OFFSET mode, and set the minimum offset value. then run with 100% stock settings (that means XMP disabled, too)

Also, Memtest has greatly changed recently. Try version 5.00.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    some how i manage to get it stable, or i can run 3DMark 2013, Unigine Vally and Heaven plus AllBenchmark with all on max, and no crashes at all :) (I did that one after one)

maybe i should try touching the CPU Cache/Ring voltage later see if that can make the Aida64 System Stability Test - FPU stable.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    oki, i have been playing around for another 2 months and i have my system running up to like 3weeks no problems, but so far i made some changes in the bios, but it looks like Core 0 keeps failing Prime95 no matter what i do, it fails after a 1min but the 3 others runs stable at 1.136V (offset mode -0.040V) but max temps of 66c on my Corsair H80i.

i am starting to wonder if i get it to auto it boosts up to over 1.3xxV and Core 0 still fails does this mean i got a bad chip? or my board ain't working properly?

and i also updated Bios to version 0804 which Asus says "Improve system stability."

so do i need a little more voltage to get Core 0 fully stable at 4ghz?

if anyone wanna see my bios settings i can take some screens and upload ^^

10 Year Member at TPU