• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i5 4690k and MSI GTX 970 having some sort of "lag" on games (Solved- Heatsink Issue)

JosephSepulveda

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and I saw that many people were posting their problems with their builds so I wanted to do the same! This was my first ever PC build and so I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to computers so bear with me. I read on a post on here that someone had this same build and found the culprit was the temp on cpu I believe. I'm currently checking my temps with speedfan 4.51 while running CSGO in an Arms race match. It seems that my GPU maxed at about 62 degrees then came all the way down to 57. I'm not sure if this is in celsius or Fahrenheit. My CPU is around 41-42. While playing the game, however, I noticed what has been happening since the day I built this computer (Which can't be more than 2 months), random FPS drops. On Csgo, I am running everything low settings. Standing the still in the middle of a match has me at about 100 fps. Sometimes I see it at 120. But then, when it seems too many things are happening, the game altogether drops to about 60 fps and it almost feels like the game itself skipped a frame in that spike. Not only does that happen on csgo, but it happens on games like Arma 2 when I'm playing Dayz mod. I had to place settings on what "optimal" is for low end computers and yet I'm still running at 30 or so fps especially in cities. Same goes for Dayz Standalone, a poorly optimized game. I saw a guy run this game maxed out and run in a city with no problem at all with their fps while my fps constantly falls to about 15-30 in cities. This also seems to happen in chivalry medieval warfare. I am running the game on the lowest settings possible and I only run it at about 40 fps max. And when I get into fights with other players or too many things are happening. My fps will significantly drop to sometimes below 30 and feel as if it skipped a frame.

Here's my whole build
i5-4690 K
ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8gb
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4gb Twin Frozr V Video Card
NZXT Phantom 410 ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair Enthusiast 650W
Windows 7
Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0 Monitor

After typing this, I noticed that all of my temps were in celsius. :p Sorry! But I also oticed on SpeedFan 4.51, on my "Core 0" it said while i was playing it was up to 70C and right now, while idle it is at 57C and there's a little flame by it. Not sure if that is it or not! If you guys could help me it would mean the world because it is so frustrating that I spent so much money on this computer to only have FPS problems :(

JosephSepulveda

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and I saw that many people were posting their problems with their builds so I wanted to do the same! This was my first ever PC build and so I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to computers so bear with me. I read on a post on here that someone had this same build and found the culprit was the temp on cpu I believe. I'm currently checking my temps with speedfan 4.51 while running CSGO in an Arms race match. It seems that my GPU maxed at about 62 degrees then came all the way down to 57. I'm not sure if this is in celsius or Fahrenheit. My CPU is around 41-42. While playing the game, however, I noticed what has been happening since the day I built this computer (Which can't be more than 2 months), random FPS drops. On Csgo, I am running everything low settings. Standing the still in the middle of a match has me at about 100 fps. Sometimes I see it at 120. But then, when it seems too many things are happening, the game altogether drops to about 60 fps and it almost feels like the game itself skipped a frame in that spike. Not only does that happen on csgo, but it happens on games like Arma 2 when I'm playing Dayz mod. I had to place settings on what "optimal" is for low end computers and yet I'm still running at 30 or so fps especially in cities. Same goes for Dayz Standalone, a poorly optimized game. I saw a guy run this game maxed out and run in a city with no problem at all with their fps while my fps constantly falls to about 15-30 in cities. This also seems to happen in chivalry medieval warfare. I am running the game on the lowest settings possible and I only run it at about 40 fps max. And when I get into fights with other players or too many things are happening. My fps will significantly drop to sometimes below 30 and feel as if it skipped a frame.

Here's my whole build
i5-4690 K
ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8gb
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4gb Twin Frozr V Video Card
NZXT Phantom 410 ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair Enthusiast 650W
Windows 7
Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0 Monitor

After typing this, I noticed that all of my temps were in celsius. :p Sorry! But I also oticed on SpeedFan 4.51, on my "Core 0" it said while i was playing it was up to 70C and right now, while idle it is at 57C and there's a little flame by it. Not sure if that is it or not! If you guys could help me it would mean the world because it is so frustrating that I spent so much money on this computer to only have FPS problems :(
Forgot to add! All my drivers are up to date and I have zero possible windows updates that can be done!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It almost sounds like you are running on your iGPU of the cpu instead of your GPU.

At low settings, these frames, it is very awkward. 970 should easily push 100fps or more.

The 'skipping' feeling could be caused by extreme framerate fluctuations. Try playing CS:GO with a frame limit at 60 or 75 fps and those skips should get way less, because you won't have a variable framerate any more.

Do the following:
- delete Speedfan, it always gives you wrong numbers.
- get MSI Afterburner and activate the RTSS ingame OSD. Play some games and check your GPU utilization while playing. You need to manually set OSD in the settings to show you the relevant stats.

We need more data. Rivatuner Stats Server (RTSS) can provide us with useful numbers to find your problem. You can also set framerate limits in RTSS.

Last edited:

JosephSepulveda

It almost sounds like you are running on your iGPU of the cpu instead of your GPU.

At low settings, these frames, it is very awkward. 970 should easily push 100fps or more.

The 'skipping' feeling could be caused by extreme framerate fluctuations. Try playing CS:GO with a frame limit at 60 or 75 fps and those skips should get way less, because you won't have a variable framerate any more.

Do the following:
- delete Speedfan, it always gives you wrong numbers.
- get MSI Afterburner and activate the RTSS ingame OSD. Play some games and check your GPU utilization while playing. You need to manually set OSD in the settings to show you the relevant stats.

We need more data. Rivatuner Stats Server (RTSS) can provide us with useful numbers to find your problem. You can also set framerate limits in RTSS.
Thank you for helping!!! Ok so I did what you told me to do.
Here is what I got
http://imgur.com/gallery/2EOr2aK
In game
http://imgur.com/gallery/RoU8x7M/new
It seems my CPU is getting REALLY hot.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
This looks like stock intel cooler at work. Change it for tower style aftermarket cooler.
Keep it under 80 C max and you won't see any skipping.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Glad you followed up quickly with this, and I'm sure you are glad you did too :)

The intel stock cooler *should* be able to keep your CPU from throttling. Check for the amount of thermal paste under it, and maybe if there is a foil over the paste still (though I don't remember this being on there when you take it out of the box on my Ivy Bridge cpu). Another thing to check is whether the cooler is tightly stuck to the cpu, which means using the push pins correctly.

Throttling on intel stock cooler means you should also have a good long look at your case airflow and ambient temperature. It is summer, so a few degrees higher than normal is fine, but 100c points to serious airflow issues if your cooler is seated correctly.

Regular case airflow should have an intake fan front, outtake fan at the rear at the very least. See if you can increase case fan speed in the bios if you haven't already. Also, if your case supports a side fan, consider this for a second intake fan, it will help by blowing fresh air directly onto GPU/CPU which are the hottest components.

If you are looking to upgrade your CPU cooler, consider a cheap tower style cooler, no need to break the bank. Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 is a good one with a silent, low-RPM fan that currently keeps my 3570k under 65c-70c at stock and full (gaming) loads.

Healthy upper limits for Intel CPU is around 75-80c where hitting 80c should happen only during summer time. Even though they throttle only at 105c, the 'tCase' temperature advice from intel says 80c or something around that number.

PS. when you have the intel cooler on, is the fan spinning? Worth checking before you reseat it!

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
replace the stock cooler ... never run the stock cooler on a K series cpu
the stock cooler is for post testing and nothing else

grab a sub 40.00 cooler such as hyper212 evo or deepcool gammax 400,S40 and you will be good to go

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
His CPU shouldn't throttle at stock with the stock cooler. You can always put a better cooler on it, but if he has shitty case airflow he still hasn't solved his problem with that.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
His CPU shouldn't throttle at stock with the stock cooler. You can always put a better cooler on it, but if he has shitty case airflow he still hasn't solved his problem with that.
yes it will throttle with the stock cooler especially when pumping high-frame-rates
he needs to replace the cooler --- period
the VID of every haswell chip is different his might be just a touch on the hot running side
Throwing a bunch of fan's in the case isn't going to bring the temps under 80c especially if its throttling running cs:go the second he puts some real load on it its gonna throttle into the ground

JosephSepulveda

Ok so let me break this down. I want to make sure I'm taking this down all correctly so I don't screw up my build.
1. My fan on the cpu is in
fact running. It is stock. I took it apart to make sure if the cpu was in tightly packed and it was. I put it back in after almost burning my hand.I also looked at the paste and there seemed to be a significant amount on it. To help fix this, you guys are suggesting to get a better fan than the stock to help more air flow?

2. You guys also think I should get an extra fan for the case I have?

3. This isn't something you guys said but one of my friends thinks it could be it too. He thinks it could be that I have too much power going to my cpu. He thinks basically "underclocking" it, will help it cool off. On the other hand, one of my friends thinks that's not the problem and says that it could harm my performance. Where do you guys stand on this fix?

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Ok so let me break this down. I want to make sure I'm taking this down all correctly so I don't screw up my build.
1. My fan on the cpu is in
fact running. It is stock. I took it apart to make sure if the cpu was in tightly packed and it was. I put it back in after almost burning my hand.I also looked at the paste and there seemed to be a significant amount on it. To help fix this, you guys are suggesting to get a better fan than the stock to help more air flow?

2. You guys also think I should get an extra fan for the case I have?

3. This isn't something you guys said but one of my friends thinks it could be it too. He thinks it could be that I have too much power going to my cpu. He thinks basically "underclocking" it, will help it cool off. On the other hand, one of my friends thinks that's not the problem and says that it could harm my performance. Where do you guys stand on this fix?

If your hitting those temperatures on stock clocks you definitely need to sort out the cooling. Underclocking wouldn't solve it. As for your case, as was mentioned you should at the very least have an intake fan on the front and an exhaust at the back. Can't cool the CPU with hot air in the case.

Edit:Bad Typo!

Last edited:

apoe

1. Stock cooler in case with average airflow, your CPU shouldn't even be close to 100 C when running games. Yes the stock cooler is weak but it's not THAT bad. Most likely a seating problem... if you ever take the cooler off, you should reapply thermal paste before putting it back on.

2. Get an aftermarket cooler. How does your case's airflow look like? This is a common sense thing, e.g. you don't want every case fan blowing air into the case... you want intake and exhaust with the air flow blowing over CPU / GPU.

3. Underclock / undervolt is a bandaid fix and not resolving the actual problem. You can drop temps significantly this way for the time being, but I wouldn't play any games until the problem is fixed.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
1. For some reason, the contact between the cpu heat spreader and the cooler may not be the best, lessening the transfer of heat. A "significant amount" of paste makes me think too much, which is as bad as too little.

2. We can't comment on extra fans and case airflow until we know exactly what positions you currently have fans in inside the case.

3. Your friend may be partially correct: But until we know your voltages we can't know for sure. It might possibly be supplying too much voltage to the CPU. This would be altered in the BIOS/UEFI, but CPU-z would give us a good picture first of what your voltage is to the cpu. So possibly, it could need lowering of voltage, but not underclocking.

Last edited:

JosephSepulveda

1. For some reason, the contact between the cpu heat spreader and the cooler may not be the best, lessening the transfer of heat. A "significant amount" of paste makes me think too much, which is as bad as too little.

2. We can't comment on extra fans and case airflow until we know exactly what positions you currently have fans in inside the case.

3. Your friend may be partially correct: But until we know your voltages we can't know for sure. It might possibly be supplying too much voltage to the CPU. This would be altered in the BIOS/UEFI, but CPU-z would give us a good picture first of what your voltage is to the cpu. So possibly, it could need lowering of voltage, but not underclocking. We can't know for sure yet though.
I mean when I saw the paste it didn't seem there was too much.
This is the airflow of my case http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/D...ower-Size-Calls-It-the-Phantom-410-3.jpg.html

And when I'm home and after I dust out my computer I'll take a picture of the current voltage.

JosephSepulveda

1. Stock cooler in case with average airflow, your CPU shouldn't even be close to 100 C when running games. Yes the stock cooler is weak but it's not THAT bad. Most likely a seating problem... if you ever take the cooler off, you should reapply thermal paste before putting it back on.

2. Get an aftermarket cooler. How does your case's airflow look like? This is a common sense thing, e.g. you don't want every case fan blowing air into the case... you want intake and exhaust with the air flow blowing over CPU / GPU.

3. Underclock / undervolt is a bandaid fix and not resolving the actual problem. You can drop temps significantly this way for the time being, but I wouldn't play any games until the problem is fixed.

Ok so I'll go to a store nearby and grab some more thermal paste. I will also look into getting a better cpu fan. Check out the picture I just posted for the air flow of the case

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
nothing wrong with his case airflow
I would check and see what the board is setting for the cpu VID/VCORE
make sure it isn't doing something silly like running >1.2V though for stock or has some dumbass auto-overclock enabled
either way paste isn't likely to fix your issue unless you botched the cooler install by seating it and then moving it or pulling it off(once the paste makes contact with the cpu you are committed)

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
I mean when I saw the paste it didn't seem there was too much.
This is the airflow of my case http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/D...ower-Size-Calls-It-the-Phantom-410-3.jpg.html

And when I'm home and after I dust out my computer I'll take a picture of the current voltage.

That is an interesting air flow diagram (actually it's crazy!). Normally it would be the two bottom ones as intakes (one providing airflow to the PSU,and one supplying airflow to the GPU), and BOTH top exhausts as EXHAUST, not split between in and out. HOWEVER:

Even that airflow diagram is only possible with the right combination and location of fans. It doesn't tell us what you actually have installed in your case.

Last edited:

JosephSepulveda

I
That is an interesting air flow diagram. Normally it would be the two bottom ones as intakes (one providing airflow to the PSU,and one supplying airflow to the GPU), and BOTH top exhausts as EXHAUST, not split between in and out. HOWEVER:

Even that airflow diagram is possible with the right combination and location of fans. It doesn't tell us what you actually have installed in your case.
i'll take pictures of it to make sure.

JosephSepulveda

nothing wrong with his case airflow
I would check and see what the board is setting for the cpu VID/VCORE
make sure it isn't doing something silly like running >1.2V though for stock or has some dumbass auto-overclock enabled
either way paste isn't likely to fix your issue unless you botched the cooler install by seating it and then moving it or pulling it off(once the paste makes contact with the cpu you are committed)
Ok so getting thermal paste won't help? I removed the cooler from the cpu already to check if everything was mounted properly.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Ok so getting thermal paste won't help? I removed the cooler from the cpu already to check if everything was mounted properly.

In that case, you probably didn't help anything, since the application of thermal paste should be cleaned and then reapplied anytime you break the seal.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
In that case, you probably didn't help anything, since the application of thermal paste should be cleaned and then reapplied anytime you break the seal.
he doesn't have enough hardware in that case to heat-soak it his problem isn't case airflow
either the board is setting the voltage a bit high or he just needs to replace the cooler
no sense in messing around for a week trying fixes that negate instead of fix the problem
buy a replacement cooler for the cpu
./thread
assuming fans are 10 each and he buys 2 thats 20.00 the hyper212 evo is 35.00 shipped

JosephSepulveda

I'm going to check the voltage as soon as I'm home. And I'm going to check if my local walmart has some computer thermal paste so I can reapply it since I removed the cooler from the CPU

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
he doesn't have enough hardware in that case to heat-soak it his problem isn't case airflow
either the board is setting the voltage a bit high or he just needs to replace the cooler
no sense in messing around for a week trying fixes that negate instead of fix the problem
buy a replacement cooler for the cpu
./thread
assuming fans are 10 each and he buys 2 thats 20.00 the hyper212 evo is 35.00 shipped

I covered both those possibilities in post #14.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I'm going to check the voltage as soon as I'm home. And I'm going to check if my local walmart has some computer thermal paste so I can reapply it since I removed the cooler from the CPU
they don't ,... radioshack might tho assuming you can still find one that exists :lol: