1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i5 vs i7 dilemma

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Octopuss, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Is there ANY other difference between those two other than HT and slightly more cache?
    I will be upgrading in the upcoming months, but man CPUs are costy. I was thinking 3570K could suit my needs the most since I don't see any benefit in HT in my case.
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    HT is really about usage of the CPU. What are your plans with this rig, just gaming and surfing?
  3. theeldest

theeldest

Thanks Received:
    Yes, HT and cache is only difference.

If budget is a concern the i5 with a mid-range cooler is always faster than an i7 with a stock cooler (assuming you overclock) and cheaper.
  4. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    If you're just gaming get the i5, almost the same performance, if you're planning on doing some encoding, crunching or doing many things at a time then get the i7.
  5. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Depending on what you are upgrading from, even an i5 can be vastly superior in performance with gaming and encoding.

If you have skipped the first gen i series chips, you will see a massive performance gain in encoding times.
    Plus Intel 2nd gen and later also have quick sync which certain payware supports for even faster encoding times.
  6. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Well, the idea is that I don't do ANY heavy multitasking, so 8 "cores" is useless to me, and 2MB extra cache is not going to do miracles, unless I missed on something.

I have, um, overclocked Core2Duo E8400 atm :D
  7. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    You should see a noticeable performance gain in performance over the spectrum.
    Going from a Core 2 Q6600 to a i5 2500K, there was some noticeable difference in gaming, but a very noticeable performance gain in encoding times.

The difference in encoding with AutoGK was roughly 45 minutes less with the 2500K.
  8. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    So do I. It's my work PC (got all the software). I also have a i7 laptop (2720QM) and it is so much faster in most tasks. My e8400 is running at 3,9 GHz and the laptop at 3,3 max (one core). I'm sure that 4 real cores (3570K) will feel like a real upgrade.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    i5
  10. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Those mobile CPUs seem slow as hell to me no matter how powerful they theoretically are. I bought HP Pavilion - high end model - laptop for my father in law recently, and despite having the fastest i7 (SB), Windows often simply kind of freezes doing stuff. Like when I click on something, sometimes nothing happens for one, two three or more seconds (not always). My C2D doesn't at all, ever. Weird.
  11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a driver or hard drive speed issue. The processor isn't the only thing that determines performance. Not to sound like a broken record, but if you're just gaming and surfing, go with the i5. The i7 is better if you're going to be doing stuff while you game, encoding video, running virtual machines, and other multi-threaded tasks aside from benchmarks. All in all, the i5 suits the needs for most people and people who get the i7 either need it, have money to waste, or simply want bragging rights. Hyper Threading just utilizes parts of the CPU that are otherwise left unused under normal operation without it. I will admit, the extra cache can help a lot depending on the workload. I have the i7 3820 and on certain workloads it loves the 10Mb of L3, but for gaming, it is unnecessary.
  12. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it's set to some power saving features. Very useful nevertheless when you're on batteries.
  13. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I have a sandy i3 mobile in my laptop and I don't get any of that. Thing sure is slow when zipping a file or something but no freezes.

So... I agree about a driver issue or something other than the processor.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I say, if you got the money get the i7. My deciding factor for getting the 2600k vs the 2500k was simply, I had the money, that way later on I wouldn't regret my decision.
    INSTG8R says thanks.
  15. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    It has nothing to do with the processor because the C2D wouldn't be anywhere near as fast as the slowest i-family CPU.

Your fathers laptop probably has issues relating to another bottleneck like a slow hard disk drive or a corrupt driver or a piece of software which isnt being eco friendly with the resources. More than likely if its store bought there will be a bunch of preloaded extra which are not part of a traditional Windows installation which will do havoc to the resources.

But yes, its not normal, but it isnt a CPU issue.
  16. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I don't know. The laptop is completely fresh and clean installation of W7 I did myself, so I have pretty good idea about the whole brick :D The disk is slow as hell for sure, but it's not always doing things. I will experiment with it a little when I get down there again. It's not a priority of any kind, just interesting situation.

Back on topic:

I am probably gonna end up upgrading within a month or so. Last time I did was when I bought this C2D back in 2009 or even (probably) 2007. I deserve refreshment!

Questions:
    1) I am die-hard fan of Gigabyte. Shall I go with their UD line of boards just like I ever have? I got my eyes on GA-Z77X-UD3H which seems cheap enough with all the features I want. In fact I don't need much :) I don't need any extra LAN chips, no HDMI, no wifi, no eSATA (really) etc.

2) WIll probably get i5-3570K. Good enough - unless SB of similar speed can be bought for significantly less. What do you think?

3) RAM. I am a bit lost here. I briefly checked prices of DDR3 and man they are cheap! I will get 8GB just for the hell of it (maybe even 16 if I find the right chips because I itend to do a bit of virtualization for testing and learning purposes, and server 2008 is probably a bit hungry). Any recommendations? I've used Corsair Dominator in past, but was pretty interested in Mushkin at some point. Ideas?
  17. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    I own a core I5 laptop, and although it's only a dual core model it performs almost as good as my phenom II X4 desktop, so there would appear to be something wrong with the laptop if you think it's slow.

1)At the moment most brands are similar in terms of features and performance, so realistically go for whatever has the best mix of price and features for you.

2)The 3570K is mainly an improvement in power consumption and inbuilt graphics compared to the 2500K, and both overclock well, so unless you care significantly about power consumption just go for whatever is cheaper

3)The RAM will have little noticeable impact on the PC's performance outside of benchmarking, just make sure it's a matching pair in the capacity you want and you'll be ok
  18. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Same logic.
  19. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Well, the RAM doesn't play very important role but you can still get something tiny bit faster for more or less same money. I will gladly get something with CL7 instead of 9 if it won't cost anything :D Was just checking whether someone has any great experience with something specific.
    As for the CPU, I will probably just buy the i5 because of warranty. You never know what you get going 2nd hand. And the price difference can't be huge anyway.
  20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I've had games bottleneck on memory speed in the past. I disagree with your assessment. IVB has a fantastic memory controller, it's worth taking advantage of it unless you need a ton of memory, in that case it gets expensive really faster, but even for 8gb of 1866 is relatively cheap. I built a 2600k rig for my parents about a year ago and this is the memory I put in there. I don't know what vendors you have in your area or how their prices are, but it worked really well on that rig, which also has a gigabyte board.
  21. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    How can you tell they bottleneck on memory speed, out of curiosity? I like to have faster chips, no disagreement here :)
  22. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    get something like this and it will own :D

[​IMG]

forget mainstream lol and you can upgrade to IB-e 8core in the future.
  23. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    When you overclock your cores and you get no speed boost, you change you memory latencies or memory speed and it impacts it. Also what else could it be if your GPU and CPU aren't being taxed 100% but the game continues to slowdown? I had that issue on my Phenom II 940 where DDR2-800 was my bottleneck. I squeezed a bit more out of it by boosting the NB clock and running the 800 @ 5-5-5-15 at 900 @ 4-5-5-14. I have DDR3-2133 on my 3820 and it's amazing. It's even more amazing when you start multitasking or encoding video.
  24. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
  25. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Anyone can confirm the difference between 1866 and 2133 is not something I should worry about?