• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

(Solved) I7 3820 is not stable anymore on the Stock frequency

Processor Intel CoreI7 3820 (3.6 GHz)
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Thermaltake Frio
Memory 4 GB * 4 G-Skill Ares 1600 CL-9-9-9-24 1.5v
Video Card(s) Asus GTX670 DirectCU II (915MHz) @ Stock
Storage Crucial 240 GB M550 / WD 2TB Green
Case Thermaltake Aromr Revo
Power Supply Antec 850 True Power Quarto (Bronze)
Software Windows7 64-Bit
It would be very unusual, but might it be possible something has happened to the memory controller on the CPU? I'm not good at the stuff inside CPUs, so I probably horribly wrong, but it's a guess.

Also, I would try a 64-bit windows. It can't hurt to have a copy.

Do you mean the CPU is corrupted?but If so how can make sure about that?
and I have 64-Bit Windows but I didn't updated My system page at the forum (updated now). But I will try another copy of the windows.

Thanks for your help.

Processor AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 1.01
Cooling Zalman 9900NT
Memory 16GB G Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 @2133 CL9-11-11-31 F3-2400C10-8GTX
Video Card(s) XFX Double D R9-390-TDFD 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850Pro 128GB, WD VelociRaptor 600GB, Seagate 7200.14 500GB
Display(s) HP LP2065 IPS x2
Case Coolermaster Elite RC-330 ATX
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Claro Plus
Power Supply Corsair TX850W V2 Single 70A Rail
Mouse Asus 0K100-00030200
Keyboard IBM KB-9930
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 1.21GW @88MPH
If the sfc /scannow shows no errors, another thing to try is diasable the pagefile on all drives, reboot and then enable it again.
Sometimes it gets corrupt and causes issues.
uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives then click each drive and select no pagefile and set each one.

After reboot check Automatically manage paging file size for all drives again.

Also uncheck auto restart and overwrite in the start up and recovery options
and use this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html as it will show the drivers causing the problem in red.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
This seems like some sort of hardware problem to me -- was working, it quit, then reinstall didn't help. I have seen gpu/mobo firmware suddenly corrupt, so the reflash comment is worth a try. Reseating all the hardware including the CPU is worth a try.

I'm stumped on this one. I'd start swapping hardware (as OP has done with the RAM and drives) including the PSU. It's hard to swap CPUs when they are expensive. Sometimes things just fail.

I once had such problem because of faulty HDD. And only way I spotted it was when I ran Crystal Disk Info and it said HDD was funky. Replaced it with the currend 2TB HDD and never had problems since. I've tested everything but the HDD and it always failed. But not after HDD replacement. Weird, but apaprently not impossible.

Funny thing is, it was functional enough so that I could still access all the files, data, nothing that would directly indicate it was HDD.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Check CPU <-> heatsink thermal paste. Sometimes it dries up into dust.
TIM (thermal interface material) does not wear out, degrade in efficiency, dry up, or otherwise need regular replacing AS LONG AS the cured bond between the mating surfaces remains intact and is not broken. TIM will and does easily last 10 - 15 years or longer, IF left undisturbed.

BUT, if the bond is broken (typically through abuse by bouncing the computer off the floor, during transport, or by twisting the heatsink to see if loose :wtf:), then the two mating surfaces MUST be thoroughly cleaned and a fresh, new, thin layer of TIM must be applied.

Note TIM exposed to air on the edges of the mating surfaces will dry out, but that's okay. It is between the mating surfaces that matters.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
TIM (thermal interface material) does not wear out, degrade in efficiency, dry up, or otherwise need regular replacing AS LONG AS the cured bond between the mating surfaces remains intact and is not broken. TIM will and does easily last 10 - 15 years or longer, IF left undisturbed.

Or if cheap junk was used! There's also something called the pumping effect. I had one of those stock heatsinks with the grey material pre-applied that dried up pretty quickly.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Even basic, plain ol' silicon paste will last 10+ years IF the bond is not broken. If you had TIM dry up AND crack, letting air in, then it was because the bond was broken, not because the TIM was inferior. While those OEM pads are not the best at transferring heat, they still have extremely long life.

Remember, the vast majority of computers are sold to businesses that may go 5 - 8 years without even being cleaned and the TIM is still effective. As an electronics tech for 45+ years, I have seen easily TIM outlast the electronics.

Also, it is critical to remember that the best heat transfer occurs with direct metal-to-metal contact and the purpose of TIM is to ONLY fill the microscopic pits and valleys in the mating surfaces to push any insulating air out. That's it! Any excess is in the way and counterproductive to the heat transfer process! So even if it does dry and remain solid, metal-to-metal contact is maintained and the TIM still occupies the space keeping the insulating air out of those pits and valleys. TIM does not contain water and most of the remaining materials do not evaporate IF not exposed to air.

Finally, do not compare those OEM pads of 10 -15 years ago with OEM pads used today. Both AMD and Intel provide excellent quality TIM with their CPUs that come packaged with OEM coolers (which today are excellent too).

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
Both AMD and Intel provide excellent quality TIM with their CPUs that come packaged with OEM coolers (which today are excellent too).
where have you been last 10 years....or what means excellent for you?
intel stock cooler for intel's Lynnfield processors is pure crap dude... Pre-applied TIM on it its like mayonaise on benchs, lasts a couple of test working fine, then dries... replaced with Coolermaster Ice Fusion and Arctic silver 5 sometimes...

AMD phenon X4 Black eddition was another nightmare.... supplied TIM wasnt so bad, replaced with coolermaster Ice Fusion, stock cooler died 60 days after first use...

Intel's Sandy Bridge processors: Cooler is decent but same problem with the crappy TIM pre-applied on Cooler's bottom, replaced with Arctic Silver 5, no problems so far, pretty noisy cooler,

Intel's Ivy Bridge processors, well the problem here is not the cooler... is that crap they put between CPU Die and IHS... they did not soldered those parts together... they had used some glue and thermal crappy paste...

Regards,

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
By excellent, I mean today's OEM coolers are more than capable of keeping their CPUs adequately cooled, even with mild to moderate over-clocking - contrary to what many, including 3rd cooler makers, what like us to believe.

To suggest otherwise is silly! Why? Because if not adequate, there would be millions and millions of factory built systems with constant heat problems and that is not happening.

For sure, if you are doing extreme overclocking, you would want a better 3rd party cooler, but the vast majority of users, there is nothing wrong with the OEMs. As I said before, it is the case's responsibility to provide an adequate supply of cool air flowing. The CPU fan need only toss the CPU's heat up into that air flow.

Cooler does not necessarily mean better. There is no reason to suggest or believe a CPU running at 40°C will perform better, be more stable, or have a longer life than a CPU running at 55°C. All cooler really gets you is bragging rights. Not that there is anything wrong there, just not necessary for stable computing.

Benchmarks are not realistic - or for the normal person.

As for where have I been, follow the link in my sig.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Thermaltake Frio
Software Windows7 64-Bit
Bad news :(
Am trying to install new version of windows, but the PC does not give me chance to start windows installation.
every time try to boot windows give me stupid BSOD, that there were be crucial problem and windows BSOD to prevent damage to the computer.
even after set Bios to default and downgrade RAM to 1333mhz.

any suggestions to help?

I once had such problem because of faulty HDD. And only way I spotted it was when I ran Crystal Disk Info and it said HDD was funky. Replaced it with the currend 2TB HDD and never had problems since. I've tested everything but the HDD and it always failed. But not after HDD replacement. Weird, but apaprently not impossible.

Funny thing is, it was functional enough so that I could still access all the files, data, nothing that would directly indicate it was HDD.

I disconnected both SSD and HDD but windows not even start boot the DVD

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Try running with just 1 stick of memory in slot 1A, if it still doesn't work try a different DIMM in the same slot. If that doesn't work, try that same DIMM in a different slot (maybe B1?). If that doesn't work, re-seat the CPU and try again with any DIMM in just A1.

Last edited:
System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
I'm sorry to hear what is happening to you. I know how frustrating and depressing it can be to have the computer not working right and not knowing what the problem is. I hope you figure it out.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Any bulging caps on the motherboard?

CPU heatsink that looks seated but actually has a gap / poor pressure? CPU temp okay in BIOS?

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
By excellent, I mean today's OEM coolers are more than capable of keeping their CPUs adequately cooled, even with mild to moderate over-clocking - contrary to what many, including 3rd cooler makers, what like us to believe.

To suggest otherwise is silly! Why? Because if not adequate, there would be millions and millions of factory built systems with constant heat problems and that is not happening.

For sure, if you are doing extreme overclocking, you would want a better 3rd party cooler, but the vast majority of users, there is nothing wrong with the OEMs. As I said before, it is the case's responsibility to provide an adequate supply of cool air flowing. The CPU fan need only toss the CPU's heat up into that air flow.

Cooler does not necessarily mean better. There is no reason to suggest or believe a CPU running at 40°C will perform better, be more stable, or have a longer life than a CPU running at 55°C. All cooler really gets you is bragging rights. Not that there is anything wrong there, just not necessary for stable computing.

Benchmarks are not realistic - or for the normal person.

As for where have I been, follow the link in my sig.
understood, but oem or stock cooler are just decent...

Bad news :(
Am trying to install new version of windows, but the PC does not give me chance to start windows installation.
every time try to boot windows give me stupid BSOD, that there were be crucial problem and windows BSOD to prevent damage to the computer.
even after set Bios to default and downgrade RAM to 1333mhz.

any suggestions to help?
have you replaced the ram or also use diferent ram ....

CPU heatsink that looks seated but actually has a gap / poor pressure? CPU temp okay in BIOS?
also your motherboard migh be f*cked...

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Thermaltake Frio
Software Windows7 64-Bit
Try running with just 1 stick of memory in slot 1A, if it still doesn't work try a different DIMM in the same slot. If that doesn't work, try that same DIMM in a different slot (maybe B1?). If that doesn't work, re-seat the CPU and try again with any DIMM in just A1.

I tried almost the 4 slots but I will give it another try today after work, but I have a question about it

as you can see there are the Main blue colored slots and there are secondary black colored slots , since I brought the mobo I was never allowed to put any RAMs at the black one always beep till I but it back into the blue ones ( I thought at this time coz it's the main and should be filled)Am I right? or the black slots are dead from the beginning?

I am sorry I did not got what you mean with "bulging caps on the motherboard?" forgive me for that can you explain please.:confused:

CPU temps are very normal at the Bios or the Windows (when it was works) ~ 35 Idle / ~ 55 Under stress

have you replaced the ram or also use diferent ram ....

also your motherboard migh be f*cked...

I have replaced the RAMs with my old Kingston HyperX 2 GB stick which was worked perfect before. But same result.

I have a thought about the Mobo too, but I need to be 100% sure before buy new one.

Thanks again every one, you really help my a lot

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
I am sorry I did not got what you mean with "bulging caps on the motherboard?" forgive me for that can you explain please.:confused:

Go to google image search, and search for "bulging caps", that's easy way to see.

Processor AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 1.01
Cooling Zalman 9900NT
Memory 16GB G Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 @2133 CL9-11-11-31 F3-2400C10-8GTX
Video Card(s) XFX Double D R9-390-TDFD 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850Pro 128GB, WD VelociRaptor 600GB, Seagate 7200.14 500GB
Display(s) HP LP2065 IPS x2
Case Coolermaster Elite RC-330 ATX
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Claro Plus
Power Supply Corsair TX850W V2 Single 70A Rail
Mouse Asus 0K100-00030200
Keyboard IBM KB-9930
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 1.21GW @88MPH
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
vmidov said:
Corsair 650W
I have a thought about the Mobo too, but I need to be 100% sure before buy new one.
You have a relatively efficient CPU and as seen in this TPU review your graphics card is hardly a power hog. Therefore, that Corsair 650W is more than capable of easily supporting your hardware. Why do you think it can "barely handle the equipment"?

There is a 3 year warranty on that motherboard. How old is it?

peche said:
"Just decent?"

The Toyota Camry and Honda Accord are "just decent" cars, does that mean they can't take you where you need to go in the same amount of time safely or comfortably? Of course not! You don't need a fancy Lexus or Acura to get you where you need to go when something "just decent" will do "just fine". But if you want show the world how successful you are, you can buy a fancy car. Or if you are into racing your car, you can replace the stock suspension and cooling for something that allows you push the car to extremes. But those actions make you an extremist - one of the 5%, not a "normal" user - the other 95%. It is not right to push or assume "extremists" needs are the same needs for the vast majority that makes up everybody else.

I say again, if you not doing heavy overclocking, and you have a properly cooled case, the OEM coolers are more than adequate to keep your CPU comfortably within the "normal operating range". That, in turn, will keep the CPU running stable, at specified performance levels, and no loss of longevity.

ONLY OEM coolers are warrantied to protect the CPUs they come with! No aftermarket cooler will replace the CPU should it fail to do its job. Since neither AMD or Intel want to replace expensive CPUs because of an inadequate OEM, they don't package their CPUs with "crap" coolers.

That said, I do agree 100% that the use of a good aftermarket TIM will provide a few degrees of better cooling than those OEM pads. But the fact is, IF you need those 4-5°C of cooling to bring your temps down into a safe temperature range, that mean you failed to properly configure your case cooling. It does NOT mean the OEM cooler is failing to do its job.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
"Just decent?"

The Toyota Camry and Honda Accord are "just decent" cars, does that mean they can't take you where you need to go in the same amount of time safely or comfortably? Of course not! You don't need a fancy Lexus or Acura to get you where you need to go when something "just decent" will do "just fine". But if you want show the world how successful you are, you can buy a fancy car. Or if you are into racing your car, you can replace the stock suspension and cooling for something that allows you push the car to extremes. But those actions make you an extremist - one of the 5%, not a "normal" user - the other 95%. It is not right to push or assume "extremists" needs are the same needs for the vast majority that makes up everybody else.

I say again, if you not doing heavy overclocking, and you have a properly cooled case, the OEM coolers are more than adequate to keep your CPU comfortably within the "normal operating range". That, in turn, will keep the CPU running stable, at specified performance levels, and no loss of longevity.

ONLY OEM coolers are warrantied to protect the CPUs they come with! No aftermarket cooler will replace the CPU should it fail to do its job. Since neither AMD or Intel want to replace expensive CPUs because of an inadequate OEM, they don't package their CPUs with "crap" coolers.

That said, I do agree 100% that the use of a good aftermarket TIM will provide a few degrees of better cooling than those OEM pads. But the fact is, IF you need those 4-5°C of cooling to bring your temps down into a safe temperature range, that mean you failed to properly configure your case cooling. It does NOT mean the OEM cooler is failing to do its job.
whatever you said champ!

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
as you can see there are the Main blue colored slots and there are secondary black colored slots , since I brought the mobo I was never allowed to put any RAMs at the black one always beep till I but it back into the blue ones ( I thought at this time coz it's the main and should be filled)Am I right? or the black slots are dead from the beginning?
Um, I think all slots should be working.

-cpu cooler rant snip-
Ok sure, the cooler on my totally OEM prebuilt dell that let my 870 get to 99c was "ok"
And the stock cooler on my 4670k that let it get into the 90s even with a crapton of fans is ok.
Sure

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Yeah, you and the rest of the 1.4 billion users of stock coolers too!

You win. Your exceptions to the rule make the rule. :respect:

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
BTW, I guess my 3.4GHz i7 3770 pushed to 4183GHz with its stock cooler, with ambient temps of 74°F is about to burn up too! :(

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Thermaltake Frio
Software Windows7 64-Bit
You have a relatively efficient CPU and as seen in this TPU review your graphics card is hardly a power hog. Therefore, that Corsair 650W is more than capable of easily supporting your hardware. Why do you think it can "barely handle the equipment"?

There is a 3 year warranty on that motherboard. How old is it?

so it is not the PSU.
about 3 years and couple of months.

Um, I think all slots should be working.

You mean that the Mobo has problem from the first day then?

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
about 3 years and couple of months.
That's how my luck works. :(

I really don't have anything else to offer other than what has been suggested. If might try to find a very trusting friend with a compatible CPU, you can try that just to make sure it is not your CPU.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
That's how my luck works. :(

I really don't have anything else to offer other than what has been suggested. If might try to find a very trusting friend with a compatible CPU, you can try that just to make sure it is not your CPU.
pretty sure that its a motherboard issue,
Intel processors are well know for a comun fact, they work or they dont work at stock settings...

Regards,