1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 3930K 4.5Ghz Voltage Questions?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by 20mmrain, May 17, 2013.

1. Kast

Thanks Received:
    When running 3dmark 2013 my 3770k at 5.0 scored higher than my 3930k at 4.5 on ice storm, cloudgate and im pretty sure if the crossfire issue was fixed at the time it would've scored higher on firestrike too. I'd like to do more benches between the 2 at those clocks but unfortunately I sold my 3770.

2. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Synthetic benchmark.

3. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I'm just saying that IVB generally clocks higher and if there is no use for the two additional cores that SB-E provides the gain in frequency are absurdly better.

It's very hard to find a good clocking SB-E chip.

4. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    Right now mine is 1.32v underload @ 4.5GHz on Air with temps in the 70C range.

Its more then just the 2 extra cores:
    SBe has more cache, twice the memory bandwidth, and 40 PCI-E lanes. To me its worth the hit to max clock speed.

radrok says thanks.
  5. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Yes I do agree, I was just ranting about the absolute frequency :laugh:

There is no doubt SB-E is much better than SB-Ivy and probably Haswell.

90% of my tasks can use more than 6 cores so it's a no brainer, one rendering can take up to 40GB of memory if set up with a big bucket size so memory bandwidth is welcomed too.

I was just randomly ranting that it's harder to find a good clocking SB-E but if you find it (like I sorta did 5,2Ghz 1.55v) there is no match :toast:

But enough I derailed, sorry I'll be back on topic ;)

6. Glitch01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lower vcore

Might want to play with your multiplier and bclk frequency a bit to lower the vcore voltage.
    I'm running 4420 Mhz with vcore set at 1.280v.
    Full load on prime95x64 for 6 hours and cpu temps are solid at 54 degrees C.
    Vcore mosfets are at 76 degrees C
    Room temp is 75 degrees F.

Reason you want to lower vcore voltage is to keep mosfets temps down. Water cooling will keeping temps on your cpu in check, but unless you have a water block for you mosfets as well you will begin to shorten the life of your motherboard. 1.300v vcore will set your mosfets at around 80 degrees C which is the recommended max temp. I'm guessing 1.35v will run you up to about 84 degrees C in the short and 86-87 degrees C for anything longer than 10 minutes on all 6 cores.

Sabertooth x79/Intel 3930k/Corsair H110 water cooling

7. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Its a safe voltage but I've read tales of degradation at anything over 1.3, if that matters at all. I've never had it happen to me.

8. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I was told to stay under 1.4v, though I did use about 3 or 4 different OC guides located all over the internets,

Many OC'ers say to OC cores individually for better speeds - for instance Have 2 or 3 cores running at 4.8Ghz while the rest runs at 4.5Ghz or lower. Obviously theres a lot more fuss involved when doing that but the CPU runs cooler that way.

9. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    I ran my chip at around 1.725v when benching and from that I can tell you that anything upto 1.55v is not going to cause any serious degradation above 1.7v the degradation starts to show up after about a few hours but I ran 1.525v(I now use 1.53 because of those hours at 1.725 when benching) for a year with no issues.
    As for strap there is no bonus other than potential for lowering the pll voltage because vcore applies to the transistors in the cores and those require x voltage for y frequency regardless of how the frequency is achieved.
    BTW ASUS recommends staying under 1.45v guru3d recommends sub 1.55v.
    Also what LLC do you use because most LLC settings above medium cause voltage overshoot.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013