1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 3930k and the ASRock easy OC

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Aceman.au, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    So I'm just getting back in OCing (please beware Im havent got much experience) with my new PC and when I went into the bios for a bit of a look @ what I got with this motherboard, I noticed it has an easy overclock feature which allows you to overclock to 4.0GHZ and beyond with predfined settings. Would it be safe to use these settings?

On my last motherboard (ASUS P8P67) it allowed me to enable the turbo mode overclock on my i7 2600 (It was the non k 2600) all the time with a setting. Can I do that same with this? Or should I do it manually and what sorts of voltage should I be putting on.

(on a side note my CPU cooler is slightly pushing my ram to the side ITS SO BIG!!!, less than a degree, doesn't seem to be hurting the ram slots, should I try and remove some on the CPU cooler blades?)

Image of the build (Dont worry, no PCB was placed on the towel it was for the table and cases scratch protection)

http://imgur.com/VqHKv

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Depending on how those auto settings are designed, OCing with them may work fine. On the other hand, if you have a poorly binned CPU or RAM, the PC might not be stable. So give them a whirl and use your preferred stress testing method to see what happens. As to the RAM, I had the same issue once, never noticed any adverse affects, and not sure what happened to the RAM and Motherboard I did that on, but haven't had bad feedback from any sale yet, so seems that it didn't affect anything.

Aceman.au says thanks.
  3. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Hmm ok, Im just worried about hearing that magical *pop* sound and my PC dieing

4. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Well I put it up to 4.0 seems to be stable at the moment.

Temperature sitting around 40 degrees Celsius. Definite performance increase noticed in WoW.

5. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Theoretically, those settings probably aren't going to go beyond Intel rated specs for chips. The most extreme of them might be better done under water cooling, maybe.

6. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    Theres predefined settings all the way to 5.2

7. Aceman.au

Aceman.au

Thanks Received:
    PC locks up after a while with any overclock :/

Screen locks and audio makes a evil sounding ringing sound

8. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    The pre defined settings are exactly what they say. They do not work on every chip. If you have problems up the vcore but watch temps. ASRock just added that annoying sound part to the UEFI bios but you can disable the sounds in the bios.