1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 930 X58 Overclocking P6X58D-E

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Vario, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Since I have been back home recuperating from spine surgery I started messing with my dad's rig a bit. He has a i7-930 with a Asus P6X58D-E, Corsair XMS3 3x4 (12GB) DDR3 2000mhz C9 1.65v rated.

This CPU is a helluvachip, I still haven't fine tuned it but its atleast an hour p95 stable at the 1.2 with no problems and hes only running a coolermaster v8 with a stock fan inside a big chenming/antec server tower, I bet I could get it even better. It idles at 45*C, that tells you how bad his airflow is. His load is only 75*C!!!

So far I have achieved 4.0ghz, 200 base block with 20 multiplier, ram set at underclocked and undervolted to 1600 9-9-9-24 with 1.5 voltage, the 4.0ghz core voltage is only 1.200v, but I have this without offset because the VID is too high at that speed and I can't find a way to negative offset. The ram doesn't really like to run at 2000mhz but is 24 hour memtest stable at the 1600 C9 1.5v

The board doesn't appear to have a negative offset option. Is there one? I am also running load line calibration. There doesn't appear to be any level setting for LLC, is there one? I don't like to run much if any LLC when I tune. The overclocking features on this board's bios seem so primitive compared to the Z77 I have grown used to that its hard to figure out. The 16+2 Phase Power Design makes up for it though!!!

I plan to add 3 120mm fans to the side of the case, since he has his stock front 80mm intake fans blowing over the harddrives (it has a lot of them in there). There are two 80mm exhausts. I am also replacing the V8's fan with a corsair fan from a H100, which I have found to make the V8 a badass cooler. My phenom II went down -10*C from changing to a corsair high static pressure fan with its v8, great cooler when it doesnt have the stock coolermaster junk in it.

He has a HD6850 I put in and a second one that overheats when its installed because his x16 slots are close together. I believe that adding the 3x120mm fans will offset this and give him a solid crossfire performance boost. I'll use one of these: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ct_info&cPath=59_457_362_290&products_id=3702 or similar.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Nah, LLC is either on or off on these mobos. Not sure what you mean by the offset, I use 900mv so I can use lower vcore and keep temps down. I have 1.5v ram, but pump 1.6v into them for stability, although I do have 24gigs running at just under 1800.. takes a bit more. And yes, you need a ton of cooling for the almost touching vid cards, seems a lot of x58 boards were designed like that. Lots of fans... I've got 8... and 2 vid cards that drown them out when I game!

3. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    How di you make the offset negative, when I run offset it just adds.