1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 960 too hot 80c

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by lordjohn, May 19, 2012.

1. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    which chip will be damaged

thanks, my ram is 1600 1.5v, but when i set them in bios, the mainboard change the volt to 1.62, then i set them back to 1.52 after discovering it few days later, i wonder which chip may have trouble if VTT is o.5 less than ram volt

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:

Please use the edit button, double posting is against the rules. :)

Instead of dropping the voltage on the dram have you tried increasing the vtt voltage? It does add the the CPU temps, but not nearly as much as adjusting the vcore voltage.

3. B0B New Member

Thanks Received:
    The faster you want to run your ram the higher the voltage the ram will need
    If i run mine at 1600 voltage will be 1.62
    Atm my ram is at 1920 voltage is 1.70
    At 1920 my qpi/vtt set to auto will be 1.42 so i set it to 1.32 any lower my system is unstable but at 1.42 my temps under linx will be high 70's
    All cpu's are different some will need more voltz or less than others
    Filling all your ram slots will need more volts anyway

Also read the guide i put a link to in my first post will help you to understand the connection to the ram speed and the uncore speed
    The faster the uncore runs the more volts the qpi/vtt will need
    If your bios has set the uncore speed higher than it needs to be u can lower it allowing for less voltz on the qpi/vtt

Just for a test remove 3 sticks of ram see how your temps go then if still the same you can keep trouble shooting

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  4. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    my qpi/vtt is auto

i can not know what is my vtt/qpi, since it is auto. normal is 1.175, but it is set to auto, so i assume when i set the ram to 1600, bios auto change the volt of ram from 1.5 to 1.62, so bios should up the vtt as well?

or maybe because the high volt from ram has damaged my cpu so the cpu is so hot? but no errors or what so ever, no bsod, etc, can pass stress test, just high temp

5. B0B New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can use gigabytes easytune 6 to see what the voltages are set to when your pc is turned on
    Yes running your ram faster will up the qpi/vtt voltz
    I don't think you will have damaged your cpu at this stage

Pls read the guide so you can under stand the ram multiplier to uncore multiplier settings and check that the uncore is set to 2x your ram i feel it may be higher. Lowering it will reduce the qpi/vtt voltage = bit less cpu heat

My ram is rated at 2000 so i have used 1.7v since the day i built my firts x58 system the ud7board now i have added 3 more sticks of ram i cannot get it stable at 2000 so i have to settle with it at 1920

That with the xtra voltage for the qpi/vtt to run the ram at this speed and with 6 sticks plus over clocking my cpu is why i have decided to sell my ram and get 3x4gig sticks of ram
    With just 3 sticks at 2000 my temps are down to where i am happy to run my system 24/7

I have to ask what is it you use your computer for to need so much memory installed

lordjohn says thanks.
  6. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    easy tune don't have vtt/qpi

thanks
    i can not find monitor for vtt/qpi in bios or et6 or cpu-z,etc, only bios show vtt normal=1.175, vtt setting=auto, so i don't konw what is the volt of vtt in use.

i need many ram since i am running some machine learning task

just wonder why first gen i7 is so hot even water cooled, i have another second gen i3 with 12 gb of ram stock fan max load from OCCT linkpack max temp is 61c.

7. B0B New Member

Thanks Received:
    Open easytune
    The tabs along the top look for tuner click on it its the 3rd tab along
    On that page click on the advanced tab the 3rd tab along under the word mode
    Then click on voltage1 tab
    There you will see what you are looking for. The greyed out numbers are the default voltz the numbers to the right of the greyed out numbers are what your voltz are running in windows

If you can run your pc with 3 sticks of ram to see if there is any difference in temps or not just for a test

lordjohn says thanks.
  8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Intel spec says that the maximum ram voltage that should be used is 1.65v. It is possible you've been damaging your memory controller by running the voltage that high and over time the capability of your IMC has been degrading.

9. B0B New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont think so my system runs fine with 3 sticks and if i let the auto setting in bios run the voltz for the qpi/vtt it sets it to 1.42 and my system is stable but the heat is to much for the cpu and i think the specs for 980x vtt is max of 1.4 so when i lower the voltz the system is unstable but dropping the multi down to ram speed of 1920 all good

10. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    thanks

thanks

i found it,
    the temp is lower even with 6 sticks if the size of the ram is reduced, like 18gb total,

11. B0B New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now you have found it just out of curiosity what voltage is the qpi/vtt set to when in windows with 1600 ram speed

12. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    thanks

1066, auto ram volt=1.54, vtt=1.175
    1600, auto ram volt=1.64, vtt=1.435

maybe high vtt cause the cpu to go hot

now, ram at 1066, everything auto
    occt cpu 20min 62max from core temp, room temp 23 c, water cooled asetek 545lc, maybe this water cooler is not good enough?
    if I run occt linkpack which use 23gb of ram, the max temp is about 10c higher than above.

just checked the intel spec, 900 series max vtt is 1.35, seems like i may damaged the cpu so it is so hot? since i never know the vtt is that high by auto from the bios, it was running like this for about a month, 8 or 10 hours a day. even i lower the ram volt to 1.52, but the vtt from bios auto is 1.435(very high), why bios auto up my ram and vtt volt just because i up the speed of ram? since the ram profile is ram 1.5v, vtt 1.175, 1600. the bios just ignore the ram profile

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  13. B0B New Member

Thanks Received:
    When i read your first post i felt the vtt voltage could have alot to do with your temp prob

If your realy wanting your ram to run faster you will have to do some reading to under stand your x58 system

Things like what voltages you will need to set your self
    A lot of testing after you set them if you get a blue screen or your pc locks up do you need more or less voltz etc

As i said i can set my vtt a lot lower on the voltage than the auto setting sets it at
    Atm its at 1.34 but on auto will be set to 1.42 thats a lot of difference

You could start with say 1.36 run a stress test see how it goes. If all good try 1.34 and so on
    Say u decide to play with your system here some links for you to read
    List of blue screen codes (very handy to kno / have)
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140238

Gigabyte x58a owners club the first post has a lot of links to help you
    http://www.overclock.net/t/706509/the-official-gigabyte-ga-x58a-ud3r-ud5-ud7-ud9-owners-club
    The one (MEMBER'S BIOS SETTINGS TEMPLATES) click on that it will expand down then click on any one to see what voltz other x58 owners are running

Other than that google your ram see what other ppl are running there latency's at as your ram is runing underclocked you might be able to run the latency's lower
    You can use cpuz that will show you the latency's for your ram at different speeds

But at the end of the day if you are happy with your system how it is and now you have found the reason for the high temp Time to relax :)

14. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    FYI, 80C full load is normal for an i7 960 on stock cooler, it's just a crap cooler and a hot chip

with WC 80C is def out of the ordinary though

Also it is a well known fact that loading all RAM slots can lower your max OC as it puts more stress on the IMC

15. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    thanks

i think the high temp was casued by high vtt like you said.

now my system setup like this
    cpu 3.2, vcore 1.275, vtt 1.175.
    ram 24gb, 1066, time 7-7-7-19, volt 1.54.
    basicly everything auto.
    room temp 27c
    prim 95 for 30min top core at 70c
    occt cpu for 20min top core at 65c
    occt linkpack cpu for 20 min top core at 73c

not sure the temp is still high? since no OC and water cooled with astesk 545lc,

16. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    not sure asetek 545lc is a good wc?

I am watching the video form asetek, they show that testing i7 980 in a controlled room temp of 20c, the max core of 980 only went up to 64 c after sometime of prime 95.

17. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    temp not only from room temp, the thermal paste, airflow, cooler performance, processor load and OC could affect how high your temp :D

18. B0B New Member

Thanks Received:
    The temps do seem still high check easytune compare all the voltz on voltage1 page
    Make sure vcore is set to default setting (sry i dont kno the default vcore for your chip)
    Also qpi/vtt u might be able to go down a notch or 2 on that 1
    Look at uncore make sure it is only 2x your ram (the bios can set this a bit higher at auto setting) if so the vtt voltage will still be higher than it needs to be
    If not sure how to check it run cpuz click on memory tab 4th from left look for NB Frequency
    That should be 2x your ram speed

As n-ster said they do run hot

You cannot compare a 960 to a 980

Your wc should be ok for a non oc cpu
    Before you go pulling the wc apart remove 3 sticks of ram get your system back to how it was before all this started run the stress tests see how the temps go
    If the temps are ok you kno the wc is all good if not reseat the block (use some proven paste mx4 or what ever) if still no good could be a faulty wc setup?
    Then put the ram back in retest compair temps with 3 sticks to 6 sticks
    Go from there

lordjohn says thanks.
  19. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    thanks

thanks, the vcore is auto, so at ideal it is 0.95, then full load with turbo boost it went up to 1.275. the vtt, i set them lower and system is still stable, vtt at 1.075. but uncore is auto at 3200mhz much more than 2x ram speed in bios, but in cupz the uncore is only 2100mhz. and et6 qpi link shows 2100mhz. not sure which one is correct bios? et6? i will try remove some memory to see if temp drops, however the case of the cpu is always low, ideal at 32c, load at 55c.

20. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    i agree

however, there is no post on the web for all-in-one WC on a not OCed i7 960, so i can't find any thing to compare, some posts show all-in-one WC from asetek used on a OCed i7 920@3.4 and the temps are around 79 for max core under load.

21. B0B New Member

Thanks Received:
    Load at 55 is ok

Dont let the stress tests temps get you worried to much as i doubt you will put that much load on the cpu under normal conditions but keep an eye on the temps when you are pushing your pc with what ever you use it for just to see how high it actualy gets

So we dont get confused in your bios
    qpi link speed: leave it to auto
    uncore frequency: set to 2x your ram speed

Why im saying to set it to 2x is to take xtra load of your vtt voltz to get your temps down thats all
    If you have got the temp down by all means you can run uncore frequency a bit higher if you like

Also now it seems the vtt voltz is the problem and you kno that
    You can set your ram back to 1600 make sure uncore frequency is at 2x ram = 3200 then play with vtt voltz get it as low as you can with your system stable
    This can take some doing as most forums are with ppl just over clocking so there settings won't help much but still worth reading to get a starting point

If you can get the temps down to where you are happy all good if not well back to 1066 it is
    But you have some good ram there as the 7-7-7-19 is fast as most memory is 9-9-9-24
    I would not set your memory voltz manualy leave it to auto as it will probably need v1.6x for 1600 speed
    Use cpuz to see what the profiles are for the latency at 1600 check they match

22. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    thanks

Thanks,
    Room temp 24C
    I tested with 2x4gb ram, then 3x4gb ram, speed at 1066, but still 69c top core 20mins of prime95 blend test

then i notice asetek WC official site test i7 980 without turbo, their 980 runs at 3.4 not 3.8 at 100% load!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then i turn off my turbo boost, the auto vcore went down to 1.15 from 1.275. now the temps are cool, prim95 after 20mins top core at 61C.
    OCCT using all 24gb of ram for linkpack after 20min top core at 64C.

this temp is ok with me. I don't mind the trubo since it is only 133mhz for my 960.

Thank you very much for you continues guide.

23. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    or just manually put 1.15 vcore and put turbo back on :p

24. lordjohn

lordjohn

Thanks Received:
    thanks

Will try that later,
    with out turbo, i can overclock the ram, ram can run the speed of 1600, volt 1.54, vtt 1.175. timing 9-11-11-28. temp of top core for prime95 at 65C, room temp 24C.

25. B0B New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good to see you got it sorted

I never have turbo on as i allways oc my cpu's

n-ster is on the ball give his idea a go as the bios could be setting the cpu voltz higher than what it needs for turbo