1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 970 or wait?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by n-ster, Jul 24, 2011.

  1. n-ster

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Messages:
    8,864 (4.08/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,405
    I got the upgrade itch... The upgrade from my current i7 920 D0 would likely cost me 220$. It would complement my 24GB of RAM nicely :p

    Either that or I save up and sell off my lga 1366 setup for an Ivy bridge 1155 or SB-E/IB lga 2011. I think I should go this way but I'm not sure...
     
  2. erocker

    erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Messages:
    39,954 (12.98/day)
    Thanks Received:
    14,382
    Then scratch your itch and upgrade. Aside from your personal feelings I see no reason for you to need to upgrade. Plus, you never mention what you use your computer for that would need any kind of upgrade.
     
    n-ster says thanks.
  3. entropy13

    entropy13

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Messages:
    4,972 (2.35/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,219
    Why the f**k would you get a i7 970 now?

    Wait for now.
     
  4. Depth

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2009
    Messages:
    602 (0.31/day)
    Thanks Received:
    136
    I've got an 940 and I'm really itching to get a 990. But it's just not a plausible upgrade considering the cost. You'd only notice the difference on paper.

    I'm also 100% sure we could swap my 940 for your 920 and none of us would tell the difference.
     
  5. theonedub

    theonedub habe fidem

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Messages:
    7,219 (3.50/day)
    Thanks Received:
    3,805
    I'd do the upgrade if the OOP cost were about $125 max.
     
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. n-ster

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Messages:
    8,864 (4.08/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,405
    I really only do a little of this and that... I like to experiment new things. I like photo editing (ie: photoshop/GIMP), sometimes I try to edit videos, I also encode a few videos here and there. I game as well. I will also start using many VMs, but nothing my i7 920 can't handle until March~May, after which I will NEED something more powerful.

    i7 970 is a hexa-core and 32nm vs the 4 core 45nm that my 920 is. Not exactly the same as an i7 940 vs 920 lol


    the i7 970 costs ~400$ and I could sell my 920 D0 ~180$ + ship
     
  7. lilhasselhoffer

    lilhasselhoffer

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2011
    Messages:
    1,680 (1.24/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,040
    Location:
    East Coast, USA
    What?

    Seriously?

    The Sandy Bridge series trumps the 1366 in almost every way right now. Price, performance, and an actual upgrade path. 1366 is functionally dead. Either wait 5 months for socket 2011, or a little while longer (no exact date, other than "soon") for bulldozer. Spending any substantial amount of money on 1366 is like lighting it on fire.
     
    n-ster says thanks.
  8. n-ster

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    Messages:
    8,864 (4.08/day)
    Thanks Received:
    1,405
    That's what I'm thinking (just not as strongly) but I wanted to make sure :eek: That's why on the 2nd line of my OP I said I THINK this is the way to go (waiting).

    thanks for the opinion :eek:
     
  9. Depth

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2009
    Messages:
    602 (0.31/day)
    Thanks Received:
    136
    And what are you using the computer for? You'll only notice the difference on paper unless you're doing some really hardcore rendering while calculating pi and crunching
     

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page