1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 980x should i bite the bullet or wait for the i7 990 ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dr emulator (madmax), Jan 2, 2011.

?

so should i order one before the vat goes up

1. yes get one now, as the price drop won't be big enough to cover the vat increase

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. no i'd wait as it should go down quite alot when the newer sandy bridge comes out

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. no wait for the i7 990x beast to come out

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. not sure

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. don't bother with it as it's far to expensive

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    so guys and gals i had planned on getting the i7 980x in the first place, just that when i bought my motherboard i didn't know whether i could just plug the 980x in and it would work,or whether i'd need the i7 920 first, simply because of not knowing which bios the motherboard would ship with, so i ordered the i7 920 to be on the safe side, now i've not overclocked the i7 920 as i prefer things to run at stock (ye ye i'm boring get over it :p), so it might be up for sale soon;)

but here's my problem at this moment in time the i7 980x is for sale at £749.16 (lowest price in the uk) or about 1168.16 US$ which admitedly isn't cheap,

but as anyone from the uk will know our vat rate is going up from 17.5% to 20% on the 4th january, which will add another £15.94 or 24.85 US$ making it £765.10 or 1 193.02 US$ which admitedly isn't much but more than i'm happy to pay

thing is i've heard a rumor that with sandy bridge coming out in february the 980x should get a price drop,
    but how much of a price drop do you guys think it'll be ?

so should i just get one and forget about the small price change "that might come about" in february

or should i wait untill the newer 990x comes out, now obviously i've no idea how much the 990x will be

what would you guys do ?

2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd wait and see what happens with Intel's pricing scheme when SB launches.

dr emulator (madmax) says thanks.
  3. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    get a i7 970

4. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    +1

5. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    +1

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    whats it going to be used for ?

7. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    emulation, encoding/decoding videos mp3's, playing games, emulation you name it :laugh:

seriously though mainly emulation ps2 ,gamecube (which we aren't aloud to talk about :cry:)

money isn't a big deal tbh, although i'm not rolling in it ,

i have looked at the 970 but i would definately prefer the 980x simpy because that's what i had planned on getting ;)

8. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    lol, I think a chipped wii and PS2 is cheaper

9. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    what is the real difference between the 980x and 990x?? not much correct?? screw it dude, if you got the cash get it, you will be satisfied with the encoding due to the 6c/12t cpu.

10. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    ye i know but it's just a pure beast, and beleive me emulation needs raw power, plus the games look so damned good in comparison to what they did on the original consoles

but as i said it's not just emulation it's video encoding/decoding and speed

how much is a i7 920 worth second hand ?

11. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Not being funny but judging by your current specs, an i5 760 or i7 930 will make you jizz in your pants, spend the rest on some kick ass RAM, a top end Mobo and a 6950, take your mrs out for the night and treat her, trust me she might surprise you with what she is willing to do afterwards and if you don't have a mrs, beer, smoke and random fanny :eek:

12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I doubt the 980 will get a price drop, it'll just be discontinued when the 990 hits. Save some money and upgrade to sandybridge. The core upgrade will cost less than the 980, while offering the same or better performance for you application. It has a clock for clock advantage and an overclocking advantage. The only instances where the 980 wins are the very rare apps that fully scale across cores. I don't know of any emulators that do that.

13. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Overclock the 920 and wait for the new chip. I'm just guessing as I've not seen any for sale lately but probably 210 to 280 us for the 920 depending on the seller.

14. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    The thought of spending that much money on one computer part almost makes me sick.. I voted save ur cash

15. dsystem New Member

Thanks Received:
    As an owner of one i cant say enough good things about it. I also upgraded from an i920
    but it comes to this:

are you robbing your budget to buy the 980x, the stock clock performance gains are not that huge from a i920 (heat is a different story, more cores much lower temps hooray progress)

and is your mobo going to be able to fully take advantage of the unlocked multipliers.

where the i980x shines is the raw oc ability. On my idiot proof asus rampage formula 3
    i just clicked the level up feature in bios and bam easy ~1ghz oc, no fuss and temp increase is minimal.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/23/asus_rampage_iii_formula_motherboard_review/

onto the other part of your question

I was unaware of the 990 refresh I am a little peeved, I would have waited. That said I would also like to see some reviews pitting the 990 against the 980.
    If my memory serves the extreme processors never go below $900 USD; even if its 2 years old.

Sandy bridge:
    I can not see myself every upgrading to it; at least not right away. Unless that gpu can be programmed for some other task why add more heat under the lid, we have RED and GREEN to do our graphics already.
    Sandy bridge will be great for laptops but high end desktops..... give it a few years than sandy bridge will be a good choice. perhaps even a proper stone bridge tehe.:laugh:

i970 is silliness by the way its made for system builders so they can charge more i mean your already spending that much on the proc might as well go for the top

but if you are content with your i920 waiting never hurts.
    "THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMETHING NEWER FASTER AND BETTER"

feel free to pm me if you have any questions

mjkmike says thanks.
  16. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    welcome to techpowerup dsystem, and yes i've a small but significant question (to me anyway) that i can't seem to find the answer for , does this processor have emt64? the place i was going to buy it from says it doesn't, unyet on some reviews cpu-z says it has :wtf: what does your box say on it?

17. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    mine has em64t

also i would get a 970 cuz all should oc to 4.5ghz or less more then that you going to need alot better cooling

[​IMG]

dr emulator (madmax) and mjkmike say thanks.
  18. AUTOgod

AUTOgod

Thanks Received:
    just about every cpu since some late P4s have 64 bit capability (i think? at least since the core solo), so that isnt a thing to be worried about :)

19. dhdude

Thanks Received:
    yeah late P4s, and all Core 2s, i3/5/7s have EM64T, would be mad for Intel's flagship processor not to have 64bit support!

20. dhdude

Thanks Received:
    If you've really got your heart set on getting a six core i7 then go for it, I really doubt the 990x will be significantly better, and I really doubt the 980x will drop significantly in price, so I've voted to pull the trigger on one now.
    However with SB around the corner (day after VAT increase for us :( ), it might be worth seeing what the performance is like; I've heard and read that the i7 2600K will give the 980x a run for its money in games etc

21. mjkmike

mjkmike

Thanks Received:
    just voted yes and this is why. The 2011 socket is over a year away. Sandybridge is not on the same level as the i7 9XX chips.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. dsystem New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah ty for the welcome I have visited before but I rarely post on message boards.
    As others have said every new Intel CPU has em64. just checked on the box they don't even make a big deal about it like they use to. For most users 64 bits means more available ram, for researchers it comes down to huge number crunching and better accuracy on the smaller ones.
    something like 10 zeros vs a 64 bit 20 ( someone check that it has been a while).

as for cooling the stock solution seems alright but i haven't tested it
    see attach
    the lil round thing is the stock i920 HS without the fan. and unlike other Intel HS it doesn't have TIM pre-applied

I have a corsair h70 and replaced the stock fans with these bad boys; an open window some cool winter air and idle temps go down to about 15 c( fans on low speed of course):cool:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706015&cm_re=1st_pc_corp-_-35-706-015-_-Product

Attached Files:

23. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
  24. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    980X will likely be discontinued when the newer models come out, and the price will not be lowered. As far as I know, Intel has never lowered the price of any Extreme CPUs.

They either replace the older EX model with a higher MHz one at the same price and discontinue the older EX models., OR they discontinue ALL the older socket EX models and only sell the non-EX one. The new EX will be the one with newer socket.

25. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    :wtf:is wrong with my specs :p

ye ye i've only a 5870 but that's good enough for me, and my board was pretty much a top end one when i got it,

ye it's old in tech terms, but i'm not after the latest and greatest thing (i don't want to have to have a nuclear accelerator to power the thing :laugh:)

the i7 980x would be the top end upgrade which should last at least 3 years (hopefully :twitch:)

i'm not really into upgrading every other week like some :laugh:, i just think it's daft tbh, if your equipment works why bother ?

i agree i could overclock what i've got but i don't want to so :ohwell: