1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 o/c to 4.5ghz suggestions?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by sol.fides, Mar 11, 2010.

1. sol.fides

sol.fides New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey, I'll be upgrading soon and wanted to hit 4.5Ghz on air again, only this time with an i7. I'd use it at 4.3Ghz 24/7. I haven't seen many comprehensive databases available on the net like there was for the conroe. Have you guys run into a collection of some promising oc results? any links? thanks. Many review sites don't share my lack of fear. I'm not afraid to push my processor. I've been pushing the limits of every processor I've had for 8 years now. If its not good enough I resell it.

I'd be willing to go water, but wanna keep the whole 4.5ghz experience under $500. I'll be investing in a high quality tri-sli board probably a classified.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. sol.fides

sol.fides New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. MickNat New Member

Thanks Received:
    If its anything more than $15-20 more than an i7 920 I really wouldnt bother, they are the same chips bar the multi is 1 higher on the 930, oh and they are all D0. Most 920's will do 4-4.3ghz on air with a good board and cooler fairly easy, its the 4.4ghz + where it starts to get a little bit more tricky.
  5. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    920's do a 21x multiplier with speed boost. So does the 930 do x22?
  6. MickNat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, short and simple answer :p
  7. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    This is sad... the moderator just told you where you should ask your question.
  8. Binge

Thanks Received:
    It will not do x22 when overclocked.
  9. MickNat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes it will, you cant enable turbo but you can just use 22x multi, I should know i have my i7 running at 21x overclocked
  10. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Alright... let me rephrase. You CAN run x22 multi overclocked, but you can not post with an overclocked x22 multi.
  11. MickNat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I am not following what you just said, from my understanding you said you cant use the 22x multi overclocked, I said you can cause my 920 runs overclocked at 21x, what do you mean you can not post with 22x ?

BTW dont take offense, I am not arguing, just dont get what you mean ;)
  12. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Sir, I speak of the 930. It does not like to run x22 multi with the bclk overclocked. When you do it either takes excessive voltage or does not post at all. You can get better results by keeping the multi @ x21 and raising the bclk.
  13. MickNat New Member

Thanks Received:
    From my understanding the 930 is a 920 D0 with a turbo multi of 22x, do you have any evidence of this? seems strange to me as all of the i7 range dont seem to have any problem like this when running a turbo multi, and there has been no architecture change as far as I know.

BTW I know you speak of the 930, Sir, I was speaking of it also :toast:
  14. Binge

Thanks Received:
    I've owned a 930 recently. All the proof you need is my word. I don't make a habbit of coming on here to lie to people. You can doubt it all you want, but if you go out buy yourself a 930 CPU and then try it you'll get the same results. Hell let's go over to xtremesystems.org and see what they have to say!

Here's a CPU-Z of the highest water-OC of the 930. Do you see him using a 22 multi??

[​IMG]

Alright, now think about what you're asking me... You want me to prove to you that under x22 multi my PC doesn't post I OC the bclk. How am I going to prove it to you? Video footage? Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap! That would take time + effort I don't need to exert. Facts as they are there's no reason for me to BS you, and I'm cheesed right now for two reasons. I'm obviously not making sense, and that frustrates me. Then on top of it I'm still not worth my word when it comes to this stuff...

Even though I do stuff like this-

[​IMG]
  15. MickNat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seriousley why are you getting defensive there is nothing written anywhere that I can see that shows a 930 doesn't post at a 22x multi, I think you need to walk away for 5 mins and come back. Please dont make out like I called you a liar :wtf:

I stated I dont disbelieve you nor am arguing with you but simply asked for something to (and I hate this word btw :( ) backup what you were saying, that maybe the case, I dont personally own a 930, though sure I will have one to tinker with in the next few weeks or so, such is my job.

I mean how many 930's have you owned ? there are such things as one off's and you may have had a chip that didnt neccessarily like the 22x multi ? :eek:
  16. Binge

Thanks Received:
    You can take your head out of the sand for a second and then ask yourself how I'm supposed to prove something doesn't post without making a video. Though you may think I'm being defensive I'm actually something a little more specific. I am agitated by you. You are calling me a liar, and your overly polite but passive agressive manner of speaking is just typical of the internet. You aren't trying to learn. You're assuming what you understand is correct, and I'm telling you that if you don't believe me then you should try it yourself. The OP and a bunch of folks on this thread seem to take your word as it is while you have no proof that x22 multi OCs will work. I'm dispelling the rumor. Now there are two conflicting pieces of information both with lacking proof. You now have the great task of proving that x22 works while overclocking the BCLK. It's expensive to do, but the important part is that if you're successful you can prove it with a screen-shot and not a video!

I've owned 5xi7 930s so far, and you still cheese me off with how blatantly ignorant to the double standard you place on others without placing it on yourself.
  17. MickNat New Member

Thanks Received:
    You know what, Binge is it? you are really starting to cheese me off also with your attitude towards me now when I haven't once give you any reason to, if you dont like my posts then dont respond you obviously cant have someone question anything you say without getting annoyed and wound up. I have been on these forums for a short while and really hope this is not the kind of attitude that is directed to newcomers here when they try and voice an opinion.

I will take anyone at face value but if you start getting offensive when I simply ask you to back something up then there is no talking to you, enjoy being right, I am out of this thread.
  18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    BiNGE and MicNat, let's let this unhealthy conversation end. Banned member was not banned due to this thread, just to keep things clear. Let's get back to the original intent of this thread.

Thank you.
  19. Binge

Thanks Received:
    I enjoy being right less than I enjoy dispelling rumors.

I really hope the OP posts in the i7 overclocking thread. A bunch of people, myself included, look there for updates on people's progress overclocking the i7.

A 4.5GHz from experience has usually taken voltages from 1.4-1.48V with a variety of different QPI values (depending on the chip). It's one of the less difficult OCs. 4.6+ is much harder to manage and completely changes based on the motherboard and chip used. If the OP could provide a bios template it would be appreciated.
  20. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    I have two rigs running at 4.5GHz with 920 DO's...one with Boreas for cooling and the other conventional water. I keep two profiles in bios...one for 4.5GHz without HT and one for 4.3GHz with HT enabled. I would be happy to post the bios screens if asked. :)