1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 rig ordered due tomorrow =D thoughts ?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by InTeL-iNsIdE, Oct 1, 2009.

1. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

Well I have ordered my new i7 rig which is due for delivery tomorrow, dammit didnt want to spend as much :ohwell:

Consisting of:

Looking forward to putting it together tomorrow, I may sell the 4890 later on for a 5850 but dont have the patience to wait for one right now, and the 4890 is well enough for my needs :D

Didnt plan it this way but the whole build has a red/black theme, I love the asus 4890, the cm storm scout and the looks of the motherboard :toast:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Looks nice.
    Hope everything works the first time for you.

3. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice setup, I wouldnt worry too much about the 4890.... 5850 thing, if you look in the thread that has the link to Tom's review of the 5850 the 4890 actually beats it in some games at some resolutions, both cards at stock of course but as my 4890 does 1050mhz then clearly the 5850 is not a viable upgrade path from the 4890, I would guess 4870 and 4850 owners are more likely to make the jump to the 5850.

4. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Wow that looks gr8. How much did it cost then ?

5. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

thanks Tatty, I have heard some of these asus ones getting 1ghz+ core and 1200 on the mem, I will be tinkering :toast:

*Cough* Just shy of 8 :ohwell: well I did get some tax credits backdated so I am not that much out of pocket :toast:

6. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, it sounds like this is going to be the last day I am ahead of you in F@H. I hope you plan on running WCG on the i7?

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I quite like your pick, the lot should look really cool together, and perform awesomely of course.

8. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

Hmmm not too sure, I will need to tinker and find my 24/7 overclock ;) and the 4890 will be a huge improvement on the one 3870 for F@H I'm running atm :toast:

9. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Very nice choice of components... most people overpay this kind of rig for nothing

10. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

Well build went without a hitch, took me around 2 hours from getting the stuff to opening, building and turning on :toast:

One thing I will note, I never seen my old C0 idle at 33c :eek: :toast:

This D0 stock volts is something silly like 1.1v right now I have it at 166 bclk with a small bump in voltage and its running at 3.3Ghz and ideling at 40c, theres a lot more tweaking to be done but I just wanted to have a quick play.

The scythe mugan 2 is a beast and a big shit to install, had to get my mate to hold it to the proc whilst I screwed it in from behind :confused: but damn is it a good cooler, dissapointed with the crap TIM it came with but from those temps I cant really complain.

Case looks awesome, not quite as good for cable management as my old antec mini p180 although its a mid ATX not a Matx like the p180, and its teh sex :D

The crucials as suspected are micron D9's ;) people have been hitting 1800mhz with these on stock volts, so there is a lot of tweaking to be done.

One thing I will say the PSU I should have spent the extra £10 and got the 750 w as this only has 4xmolex and 6xsata, it has dual 12v rails with 25a on each but only 1x 6 pin pci-e and 1x 8 pin pci-e, the 8 pin cpu power lead is too short and as such is stretching straight up across the HD 4890

the Asus 4890 is sexy as fook, has super ML caps :S which apprently yield upto 3x better overclocking whilst remaining cooler. Its nice n quiet and temps are low 43c idle, hopefully this baby will clock nicely.

Cant do any benching tonight as I am running my old install of vista for the time being, will perform a clean install over the weekend :toast:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
  11. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Looks nice.:)

12. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I had the same issue and fix for my Mugen. Still trying to figure out how one person can do that without a stand, clamp, or some help.

13. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

Well aside from the installation, I cannot fault this mugen 2, i have yet to see temps rise above 60c, havent done much stressing but have run intekl burn test for a few mins and encoded a .avi file to dvd in nero and the temps are amazing, bear in mind my first i7 920 was a C0 and my akasa nero couldnt keep it under 90c at 3.8ghz :cool: