1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Icy Dock Rolls Out 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch Converter Enclosure

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Nov 3, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Icy Dock is out with its newest single-drive enclosure that converts 2.5 inch HDDs or SSDs into 3.5 inch drives, to properly fit into PC cases with 3.5 inch bays. The Icy Dock MB882SP-1S-2B provides enclosure and ventilation for 2.5 inch drives, while connecting them to the SATA interface (data and power) in accordance with the standards, so it could be easily inserted into desktop HDD docks that use a 'cartridge-load' mechanism. Measuring 145 x 101 x 25 mm, it is the size of a the typical 3.5 inch HDD. It weighs 163 g, and is made of plastic. The unit also has a simple slide-open lid that makes handling it (installing/uninstalling 2.5 inch drives) tool-less. The Icy Dock MB882SP-1S-2B is priced at $17.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    AWESOMENESS!!! I've been looking for something like this but could never find anything like it, I was gonna get a WD Raptor 300gb but still wasnt sure, anyone with WD raptor Hard drives or SSD's, which one would you buy, mainly be using for operating system and games, already have a 1TB drive for Music, movies, videos, pictures and other crap too :rolleyes:

3. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    Nice box - I wonder how icy it is though.

Get an SSD. When you're booting into Win 7 in 18 seconds you'll forget all about the money you paid for it. ;)
    The Velociraptors are not worth the price anymore - some of the quick 1tb drives are just as fast.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. LoneEagle70 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would go with the new intel SSD. I got the 180GB @ 549$CAN.

5. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Simple, Functional...

It's unusual to see a product actually make so much sense these days...

Now if SSD Mnfr's would just hurry up and make a reasonable drive for a reasonable price, I just might want to buy one.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. newfellow New Member

Thanks Received:
    This box is so damn sad looking that hell I'll build better than this from Antec spare parts. ;P

lol, anything above 10-11 seconds is slow even for vista and I don't even own a single SSD.

7. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Good to see a good converter box, I am tired of making my own out of old hard drives.

8. gumpty

gumpty

Thanks Received:
    This is getting way off topic but ... video or it didn't happen. Cold-boot too, not from sleep.

9. newfellow New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, off topic indeed.

I actually was speaking of cold boot. I do not like sleep states. Video I don't even own an camera perhaps cellphone camera record, lol. hell all you need is 'Autoruns' little love with rundll32 + descent defrag = around 10-11 seconds to usable. Plus BIOS device POST time. I'm using RAID-0 on Samsung F3 500GB single platters. Ofcourse it's a bit different, if you bloat the system with some incredible size AV. lol, that alone would take 10 seconds.