1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Id like some feedback on my CPU temp.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Mar 9, 2011.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I was talking with a good friend of mine about CPU fans. He was telling me that he just got a new CPU fan and I told him I never installed one on my CPU and that Im just using the heatsink.

I idle usually under 20*C at stock speeds and under 25*C at 3.8GHz. The temps have been like this since the day I built the computer.

My friend is basically convinced that I have a bad sensor on the board but i dont think that at all. Ive had the computer nearly 3 years and if something was going to melt, im sure it would have by now.

Id like the community to weigh in on this and give me their thoughts.

I should mention that the CPU is an X3350 (server version of the Q9450) and the HS is a Scythe Ninja and it doesnt get hot to the touch.

So lemme know what you all think. Whether you think its normal, you agree theres a bad sensor, or whatever else.

Thanks for the replies. :toast:
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Considering an average room temperature or ambient temp is 22c, I'd say your temp sensor is not working correctly. It is impossible for a CPU to run under ambients on air or water. Like many AMD temp sensors with this problem, one would usually add 10-12c at idle. Your CPU cores are most likely idling at 30-35c.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  3. Undead46

Undead46 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you've never cleaned out the dust from your rig and you've had the same temps this entire time, sounds like something is wrong..

What are you using to check your temps?
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I always keep my PC clean.

I use the BIOS, Everest, and Asus Probe.
  5. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Unless you are TEC cooling with a coolit or some TEC WB I would say that your CPU has ( Like mine ) Bad sensors . Mine is idling right now below freezing but there are no programs or sensors that can go below the 32*f and my sensors are stuck on all 4 cores at 37c 37c 38c 38c once they reach a higher temp then they work fine LOL . ( But this is hard to do unless I line pack with OCCT ) And I do not do that as well no need to .
  6. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Any official way to check to make sure if there are bad sensors?
  7. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Well not really . but you find out if they are "stuck " DL prime95 and core temp then run the sensor test . You will find out then .
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, it's impossible for them to run below ambient. So that's pretty official.