1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

IDE and ACHI setting in BIOS...

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Sasqui, Nov 14, 2012.

1. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Yep.

And, if, you are going RAID... don't forget to configure bios for the RAID/AHCI and configure your RAID setup in the bios before you install Windows.

Also, most manuals from the major MB makers have a decent walk throughs on the installation of RAID

If it is just one drive, no RAID and for AHCI, just skip the first sentence on the RAID setup, but you will still need to tell the bios AHCI and or RAID/AHCI; just not setup an array.

And, depending on your build, the chipset and ports you use will determine which drivers you may need.
    You may need Intel drivers, if you are using the Intel chipset or AMD, if, it is an AMD based chipset or Marvell drivers, if, you are using the Marvell controller on some boards.

If you run into problems, you have a whole forum to help you, a fellow member in fine standing.:toast:

2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    hey Viper have you ran a bench for Single Drive (no other drives attached) performance when the controller is set to RAID vs AHCI?

because i know when RAID is set you have to have the Raid Driver installed because of the POST looks for it if im not mistaken

95Viper says thanks.
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Nope, never compared them, as I have had RAID on every system I built.

I have not had a single drive setup since IDE days and 32 GB drives.
    Interesting question though.
    I have a few VR drives I got on the cheap, so I am still using them up.

Yep, if, you set to RAID you need the RAID drivers to install. Windows has MSAHCI drivers it can use for AHCI or your can use the ones from the chipset maker.

4. Konceptz

Konceptz

Thanks Received:
    Correct, Win7 will have all the drivers you need. You wont need a RAID floppy. Plug in your data drives and boot the machine, windows will see them as D, and maybe E or F. You might have to assign them a driver letter under disk management but the data will show.

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    IIRC certain chipsets newer than release of windows 7 does, but since floppies are far and few between i guess that means a USB Key is to be used

6. Konceptz

Konceptz

Thanks Received:
    I've always used Raid if available, even with a single drive, and never had to load floppy disk based drivers for RAID. The Win7 disk will have everything he needs.

7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Raid is AHCI it just has support for the raid arrays