1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Idea: Remove the Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway posts from the "Latest Posts"

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by newtekie1, Oct 9, 2008.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I think that topics in Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway section shouldn't show up in the "Latest Posts" section on the main page of the forums. Right now, there are 9 out of 20 topics listed in that area that are from the Buy/Sell section, and it kind of defeats the purpose of the Latest Posts section.

It would be nice if that section was reserved for informational posts only, if people are looking to Buy/Sell something, they can just go to the section specifically. It wasn't a problem in the past, but with the growing popularity of the Buy/Sell section it has come to the point where nearly half of the posts are from that section, and it reduces the functionality of the main page.

Also, that section is the only section where people bump topics just to put them at the top of the page, so usually there are topics that have no new added information on the "Latest Posts" area, which makes that area completely wasted space.

Edit: Another thing that I thought might help, is limitting the number of active topics a person can have in the Buy/Sell section. I think limitting the number of active topics in that thread to 2(one for items you are selling, and one for items you want to buy) would be a great improvement. The section can really get overrun with one or two people who have 5 or more active topics, and there really isn't a reason they can't combine them into one topic.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    +1

I agree with ya newtekie, I think removing them from updated posts like General Nonesense was a while back would be a good thing. Not too long ago people wanted 12hr bumps which they could get if all the B/S/T threads weren't on the updated posts section.

:toast:

3. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    I personally disagree. I am constantly using the Latest Posts section to find FS/FT posts.

4. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I just notices that 6 of the latest posts were all b/s/t. Way too many. If someone really wants to look at the B/S/T section, all it takes is a couple more clicks to get there.

5. kyle2020 Guest

perhaps do a similar latest posts bit dedicated to the b/s/t section? called the short adds or something?

6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Agree with these guys. With the current rules, I never see that many B/S/T/G threads in the latest posts at a time. And if people take the p*ss they get reported.

I think leave it as it is. But then at the same time, I have always thought the latest posts section should be bigger anyway :ohwell:

7. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    disagree

I want to see them in the newest posts.

8. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like em on the front page, but giving them their own section wouldn't hurt either. Seems that would be a lot better actually. Stick the latest BST threads down below the other ads and leave the good info up at the top.

9. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    maybe we can have another top posts section that does only FS treads?

10. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    I also disagree.
    Come on, really, how long does it take you to scan the thread topic & move on to the next.

11. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you fit.

I agree and disagree.

I like them up there because its quick and i most of the time dont go to b/s/t unless its from the new posts. but sometimes, there is like 5 or 6 of them. maybe have another with b/s/t like the news.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I don't think they should leave the front page entirely. I'd imagine there's tons of hits on those from guests, and it really helps out the sellers too. Seeing 6 at a time though... Not to mention, they wouldn't have to bump as often to get on the front page.

13. wolf2009 Guest

i disagree too,

i like seeing them there, and its easy to sell and buy stuff that way

14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe a separate button for them to goto ?.. so you can click and see them if YOU want to.

15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I like your idea newtekie1.:toast:

16. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    After reading the responses, I have an idea that seems like it will make both sides happy, but I don't know if it is possible.

How about adding another smaller section right under the "Latest Posts"/"Latest News" section. Make that dedicated to the Buy/Sell latest posts, and eliminate the Buy/Sell topics from the Current Latest Posts section.

That way, for the peope that still want the latest Buy/Sell posts to be on the main page, it will be right there under the other Latest Posts, in their own section(this will actually be better, as it will highlight the Buy/Sell topics for them). The people that don't want to see the Buy/Sell topics, can just click on the little green arrow at the top right of the section and the section would essentially go away(the little title bar would still be there, but who really cares). This would also allow more informational posts to show up in the current Latest Posts section either way.

17. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:

Liking that idea, as long as it doesnt make the latest post section any smaller, if anything it needs to be bigger IMO. (or at least show more of the title)

18. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the way I see it, the current Latest Post section would be unchanged. The new Buy/Sell Latest Posts section would under that, stretch across the whole page, and be big enough to show about 5 topics, with the ability to scroll through about 20.

19. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I suppose some of it will depend on what rez w1zz has to work to. At my rez of 1680x1050, There is more than enough room to add a third column. Though I still beleive the Latest Posts section should be setup to show more of the title, quite often its, "Please help me with my..." or "I've just bought a..."
    And you miss the most important info.

20. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, my work machine only has a 1024x768 monitor(it is my workbench machine that I use as a workstation) and it is pretty bad. Now that you mention it, it might be nice to break off Latest Headlines into its own section also giving all three the whole width of the screen to display the titles.

21. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It would be a big put-off for a 1280x1024 user.

22. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree that sometimes it is very off putting when members bump alot of FS threads one after another, and you get half of the new posts used up by the FS threads.

This can cause alot of other posts,say someone looking for help to quickly disappear and not receive any attention at all..which could lead to new members not sticking around as their questions dont get answered.

Also all the regular members know where the for sale thread is and if they are looking to buy something, can quickly check that sub section out.

I would also agree that the new posts section could be larger,would be nice if posts from each section only got bumped down if there where new posts in that particular section.

23. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    +1

24. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, or maybe if its possible to make it an option you can set yourself for your login?

25. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I like seeing the FS posts in the newest posts. I like to be able to go directly to a hot topic or a hot deal from there.

alexp999 says thanks.