1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Identifying fake/unauthentic video cards?

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by wazel45, Nov 15, 2011.

1. wazel45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I signed up here just to ask a quick question; havent used GPU-Z before and im not much of a tech guy -- will GPU-Z be able identify a fake or unauthentic video card if i were to buy one? Just a little skeptical with this deal I have -- a guy who selling me an ATI Radeon 5570 sealed for just $46. I might take the risk and buy it, but im just a little skeptical since its so cheap; I just wanted to make sure everything is right in case i do buy it.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It will show the sensors/specifications of the card. Based off of that one should be able to determine if the video card is the correct card. The price for that card isn't unheard of. They can go for that price new when on sale. :)

3. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Seems about right for the price. Just install Gpu-Z when you get it and google to compare on the web. I understand your suspicions though. I have myself experienced having an old Ati card (not mine, but a customer's) strangely needing Nvidia drivers. Now go figure.

4. wazel45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, Not where im from (Southeast Asia) - Good performance video cards like this model are both scarce and expensive. And for it to go as low as that, i couldnt ignore the chance :p

5. wazel45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    How about if any of the hardware sensors/I.D.'s are manipulated into tricking GPU-Z, that its the right video card?

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is what you want to see:

[​IMG]

A 5570 is a lower-end card, I doubt it would be a fake. GPU-Z reads off of the video card's bios, it is quite difficult, even not possible at all to make the card read something other than what is equipped.

7. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    An easy clue would be the brand and the boxing. That will be the first indicator. If its with a cheapo box with strange cryptic language on it, that will be a clue. The false card I stated earlier had a never heard of brand with chinese writings on it.

8. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    I didnt even know false cards exsisted.

9. wazel45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its MSI.

I guess im a little paranoid. But here there are a lot good product imitations going on so just some caution. But i guess those indications make it most likely true.

10. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I don't think anyone would fake it. If it's MSI doesn't mean it would be anymore of a fake than the others. Especially such a low end card.

11. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    there is quite some card faking going on in asian countries. i've seen nvidia cards flashed to an unused device id, with a bundled nvidia driver that calls the card "ATI ....".

your first step to identify a faked card should be checking its properties with GPU-Z.

if you then have any suspicions that something is wrong, post the gpuz screenshot and photos of the card's back and front here on the forums and we'll help you out

12. wazel45 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright ill do that. I'll compare the front and back appearance of the card as well and box contents with a close up picture on Newegg. I'll get back here if i have any suspicions. Thanks all.

13. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    yeah i just heard some guy in india was gifted a fake card, which was bought by his not so technically literate uncle. Such a shame really :(

14. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    The brands themselves should tip you off if it's fake or not.

15. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    d'oh where does the brand thing come when its a fake :/
    it has no brands. thats why its fake.

16. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    You obviously haven't encountered a fake card yet.

17. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    you did :p ?
    the box has something written. true. but i dont think that brand will take responsibility for the fake card.

18. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    What are you planning to do with the 5570?

19. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 lol had no clue people would actually fake a video card :laugh::laugh: aww well must just be my trust that what yae buy is what you are getting 99% of the time it is though :)

20. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Its more common than you think. In asia and other developing countries, its pretty rampant especially in lower segments (most sold cards are middle to low end anyways). Even some time ago on TPU there was some guy from south america that had a fake XFX card. It wasn't actually XFX, but the artwork on the box would have made you believe so.