1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Identifying VRM?

Discussion in 'GPU-Z' started by Barleyman, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Barleyman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible to identify the VRM chip with GPU-Z?

2. qu4k3r

qu4k3r

Thanks Received:
    I guess not.
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong...

I think the most of vrm are compound by analog components (capacitor, inductor, transistor/mosfet, etc..) and they can't be identified by software, because those analog parts don't have any kind of internal registry for keeping info.

If vrm were made of totally digital components highly integrated, like PIC micro controllers or something like that, then yes.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually the VRM usually contains a control chip which controls the output to the chokes/inductors/MOSFETs/capacitors that ultimately make up the power circuit (often just called PWM).

Here's a PWM circuit with CPL-5-50 power-inductors, 5 unidentifiable (probably VT1157SF) Volterra digital PWMs, and the nearby Volterra VT1165MF voltage regulator:
    [​IMG]

If the chip is programmable via software, like the VT1165 pictured above, then there must be a way to retrieve some information about the chip in software.

That being said, I do not believe GPU-Z provides VRM info, probably because these chips were not controlled in software until fairly recently.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    qu4k3r says thanks.
  4. Barleyman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, MSI afterburner can do I2C dump which does return strings which should be usable to identify the chips. However without some reference as to which string stands for which string combines with a particular chip.. And yeah, I did appeal Unwinder for help :rolleyes:

5. Barleyman New Member

Thanks Received:
    streetfighter 2 says thanks.