1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

IE10 Metro: no freedom allowed

Discussion in 'General Software' started by qubit, Sep 15, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    What a great step backwards. Plug-ins are what make Firefox so fantastic and customizable. In particular, there's no ad blockers for IE10, so I'd have to put up with flashing animated ads all over the place and only have features that Microsoft wants me to have. No thanks. :rolleyes:

Of course with Flash out of the way, I bet their competing Silverlight gets 'integrated' into IE10, showing up Microsoft's hypocrisy - it will be embrace and extend all over again.

The Register

digibucc says thanks.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If I don't like it I'll use a different browser. No one is being forced to use IE.

NAVI_Z says thanks.
  3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    it seems there will be 2 versions anyway, ie10, and ie10 metro. am i wrong there?

4. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Of course and obviously I do already. But it is the default browser, so it's not good to see this trend.

No, you're right, but it's not a good trend. It's always bad when any company tries to lock you in. Apple are especially bad in this respect and is the main reason why I don't buy their stuff. MS have been relatively open so far, especially in recent years. Now they're trying to reverse it, which is bad. Stuff like this will spread to the whole of the Windows experience if left to run unchecked.

digibucc says thanks.
  5. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Qubit your thread titles are getting more and more like Btarunr's everyday :laugh:

Have you downloaded and tried the OS yet? I'm rocking it as my main OS at the moment.....giving it a thorough workout :)

qubit says thanks.
  6. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks matey. :toast: I do try to make them compelling and interesting. No, I haven't got round to it yet, but I will soon.

Is that download totally legit, btw?

7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Adobe might sue Microsoft over that one because Microsoft would be putting in a "barrier to entry" allowing the use of their product (Silverlight) and not Adobe's (Flash). Additionally, Microsoft still has the most browser market share so it is a blow directly to the bottom line of Adobe.

hellrazor and digibucc say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. qubit

Thanks Received:
    What would be their argument? Anticompetitiveness? Possibly, but they haven't sued Apple yet over the same thing.

9. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I guarantee you that the EU will fine them. Good old EU. When in debt... fine everybody!

hellrazor and D4S4 say thanks.
  10. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Which reminds me..

A friendly reminder:

By all means though, cary on with the discussion on topic. :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
    qubit says thanks.
  11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Because Apple doesn't have a similar product; Microsoft does.

"Metro" and Silverlight are essentially one in the same (different appplications of WPF).

hellrazor and digibucc say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely, I haven't had any problems with drivers other than Catalyst betas which I had to run in win 7 compatability mode. Running like a champ but a bit scary as I don't fully know my way around it yet :)

qubit says thanks.
  13. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    they said

So I will just use desktop version. However I ain't no flash fan anyway. Maybe they try to push html5 and silverlight

14. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I take it that was directed at me and I've been a bit naughty. :eek: :eek:

Thing is, really everything like this could be considered as "news", which means us members really can't post it, but I think it makes a really good thread and I love to talk about these things with you lot. I'm not sure what to do now. :confused:

15. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Carry on with the topic. :) I sent you a PM on the matter as not to go too off topic in this thread.

qubit says thanks.
  16. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    With the new standards like HTML5, SVG, Animated SVG, video and audio tags, CSS animations, etc... (there are many spectacular sites made with those technologies out there free of Flash/Silverlight) Flash is increasingly less meaningful IMHO as well as Silverlight, besides they aren't fully cross platform if I understood well.

When the browser support is fully and bug free and webmasters take care of them or begin to learn those, I think flash/silverlight will have a slow death.

Anyway I wouldn't like a browser which isn't extensible so very bad if IE metro won't allow plugins :mad: and dropping Flash at this day would be a TERRIBLE idea because most sites uses some flash currently like YouTube.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  17. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Sure there are ad blockers for IE10, just grab a custom host file or use a custom DNS to block ads.;)

As for not having any ad-ons, it might be what makes Firefox great(I don't believe so), but it is what makes IE terrible. Remember how everyone makes fun of all those toolbars that IE gets hit with, those are ad-ons that everyone hates.

qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  18. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Flash and Silverlight have more strict compatibility requirements whereas HTML, JS, and CSS are loose and it is up to each browser developer to add support. In short, if you develop a Flash or Silverlight app, it is guaranteed to work on any browser that supports the Flash and Silverlight plugins. HTML5, you got to check yourself that it renders correctly on each browser.

Silverlight isn't going anywhere because it forms the core application environment of Windows Phone 7 programs. Nokia is ending Symbian and switching over to Windows Phone 7. In other words, if you're developing an app for Windows Phone 7, you might as well make it compatible with browsers too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    because microsoft doesn't foster an open atmosphere. why should anyone create a real plugin for ie when it's a crap browser that is constantly insecure and outdated? on top of that, any real usefulness is negated by how closed the system really is.
    they say it perfectly "The experience that (ie) plug-ins provide today is not ... good" ;) not everything needs to be open, and i'm fine with no plugins if it's a complete product that doesn't NEED plugins.

but call it what it is. they had a shoddy plugin system from word go.

20. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Toolbars are indeed addons, but that's only one kind. The stuff you get for FF is incredibly diverse and can add some serious geek functionality. :rockout: And for free.

For what it's worth, I don't think IE has ever qualified for "terrible", but it's not as nice as its rivals and I don't especially like the interface since version 7.

21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    tell u truth I will be using firefox or google chrome that supports Flash anyway, majority of sites out there use flash

22. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    My love for FF and plug ins is not very strong. I just want a robust browser that resists hacks. FF is not that browser anymore. Flash is hackable. That's probably why it updates itself every few days.

23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    never had any troubles with it and any piece of code is hackable...

digibucc says thanks.