1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

IF facebook is left open, or auto login, is it illegal to look through?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by BlackOmega, Feb 20, 2012.

1. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    As the title states, if someone were to use YOUR laptop to look a their facebook and either left the page open or it automatically logs in to their facebook, is it illegal to look through their stuff?

I'm thinking that it's not but, I would like to hear what other people have to say about this.

2. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    dont know if its legal or illegal respecting others privacy is the right ethics

Solaris17, ThE_MaD_ShOt and BlackOmega say thanks.
  3. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    I know it's ethically/morally correct, but is it legal is my question.

4. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Seriously?

Assuming that you have a laptop left out in the open, it is considered viewable to the public. Anything viewable to the public is considered legally viewed.

This skirts the complex issue of internet sites, and what rifling through web pages is considered. Local law may hold their own precedent. For such a complex issue you'd need some serious legal council.

So, why the heck would you need view someone's facebook page legally? Anything public is legal to view, so the only reason you'd need to see a person's facebook info is if they weren't your friend. This opens up a very creepy stalker angle... And on that note I think it's time to go.

ThE_MaD_ShOt and BlackOmega say thanks.
  5. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Is it legal to watch a women's changing room if the door is left open?
    Seems kind of the same to me...

driver66 says thanks.
  6. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    No it's a legitimate safety question. I understand that looking at someone sitting in public and viewing their facebook is completely legal.

However, imagine a scenario like this. You ask someone to use their laptop and check your facebook. Let's say you were in a hurry and accidentally clicked the "keep me logged in" button. So then lets say the owner of the laptop later launches their browser and it automatically opens a page to your facebook. Do they have the legal right to look through your "personal" stuff (obviously as many times as FB has been hacked, there's nothing personal).

7. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Technically, if it's in public, yes it's legal. It's not morally correct, but it is legal. You lose the right to all privacy as soon as you leave your front door.

8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Half the people on this forum think theft is ok. Dunno why you would think they would gain ethics now over being a peeping tom.

95Viper and jpierce55 say thanks.
  9. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    I know this only has a small relevance to the question but don't put anything on there you don't want public in the first place. People seem to be getting dumber by the minute anymore.

10. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Were there any good wet t-shirt contest Spring Break pics?

11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I think it is legal because I can't think of any grounds through which it would be considered a criminal act. Why? Because it is on account of someone's stupidty/lack of protecting themselves. On the other hand, if you logged in using someone else's account information without their permission, it can be considered criminal because you circumvented the digital rights managment of the website (user credentials/authorization).

BlackOmega says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Now correct me if I'm wrong, if they give you their account log in information isn't it implied consent since they gave you the log in info to begin with?

13. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    This still seems a little weird. Assuming you're the one who did it, then you've got no right to sue. If someone else did it, then lawyers can argue this both ways. There's no clear answer legally. Morally, it's wrong. Being a dick and thumbing through someone's personal stuff is never justifiable.

14. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    While true, the first thing that the Police does when a serious crime has been committed is look through someones facebook.
    Sometimes it's not as easy as it being a dick or not, sometimes it has to do with someone else's safety.
    There's always two sides to every coin.
    :toast:

15. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    ....Does it matter? Most likely you are friends with the person using your computer so it would be the same as you viewing it from your facebook to theirs.

16. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Sort of, however, since the person has access to your account they can look at the private conversations you've had with other people.

17. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Oh, well I didn't think the person was going to go that morally wrong. I figured you say they had it open you just read what was on the screen, but yes clicking around and loading more pages is not right.:shadedshu

But about the law part I really don't know if can be considered invasion of privacy or not the "Internet" is a tricky one to manage.

Personally to me it wouldn't bother me at all I have nothing to hide, but I wouldn't like it if they posted something.
    I don't even have a password on my computer I could care less what people find/do on it, I can always fix if they break it.

19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I bet money BlackOmega was looking at some chicks facebook he has a crush on.

de.das.dude says thanks.
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Invasion of privacy ?. And if it's not your computer\laptop then that's another reason you should not be touching it.

21. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    FOr the most part I'm the same way, except I have passwords on my computers, don't want to make it THAT easy for hackers. However, on my netbook, I have it set to a pretty freaking hard PW, and it requires the PW when "waking" it from the screensaver. But that's only because it goes in public with me.
    No, I don't do that. I'm thinking about going in to law and was genuinely curious about that since I know law enforcement does it. Granted they need a search warrant to access any real info.
    The thing is, how is it an invasion of privacy? By leaving their PW saved on to your computer, they have given implied consent. Whether it was accidental or not is irrelevant.

22. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    That is like saying by having a hidden key to your house front door under a rock it is ok for someone to unlock your home and walk around and look though your stuff.:p

23. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Not quite, it'd be more like they make a copy of their key and attach it to your key-chain.

24. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    So what i am hearing is that you cannot be trusted ?. The fact is it is all so irrelevant that i saved my password and stayed logged in which in turn is none of your frigging bee's wax.

Shii, i guess you better tell that person who TRUSTED YOU! not to.. As apparently the gave consent by staying logged in WTF dude.

25. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Oh don't get your panties in a bunch.

This is a legal question more so than not. As I mentioned before, I'm contemplating about going to law school and becoming a lawyer, and I'm curious about people's privacy (mainly for my own sake since I like my privacy). I looked through FB's privacy policy and quite honestly, there's nothing that really covers this aspect of it. That's why I asked the question.