1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

IF facebook is left open, or auto login, is it illegal to look through?

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by BlackOmega, Feb 20, 2012.

1. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Here we go again. :laugh:
  2. jgrahl

jgrahl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am sure your questions will be answered in your law classes. I doubt many people here have any degree in law or are lawyers of any sort. All you can obtain here is opinion.

here is an example of some of those classes that would interest you.

However, the questions you ask, the manner, and detail in which you ask them leads me to believe you are withholding information. If I am right, my advice to you is to not look through other people's facebook. Also, on the flip side, don't log into facebook on a computer accessible by others, ever.
    BlackOmega says thanks.
  3. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the link. Definitely going to look through that, however, I'm just a wee bit north of you so Berkeley is a little out of the question. Probably more like U of M, or Cooley law, possibly even Wayne state.

As for withholding info, well you're right about that. However, it doesn't pertain to me. Although I must admit it piqued my curiosity.

Regarding my questions and the detail, I am a very detail oriented person.
  4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I believe in most places it's not illegal to gain access to an account. It is illegal to send messages from that account pretending to be that person though.
    BlackOmega says thanks.
  5. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:
  6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    BlackOmega says thanks.
  7. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Thanks you've given me something to go on. Where's your thank you button?

However, the criteria that it has to fall under is a "reasonable expectation of privacy". And as one court has found, with social media sites there is no longer a reasonable expectation of that privacy hence it does not fall under "intruding in private affairs."

Some quotes:

and
    and

Source
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
  8. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    As others have said, it isn't illegal, just unethical.

If I tell you that you can come into my home (use my computer), now you're in my home (using my computer).

Now you need to use the restroom (typically a private matter), but you decide to leave the door open. As dirty as it sounds, if I stand there and watch (viewing your typically private [no pun] matter), I'm not committing a crime.

I would care, however, to hear what someone else thinks if I were to force the door open.
    Riotpump and BlackOmega say thanks.
  9. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    But one can conclude messages on Facebook are considered "private". They don't call them "private messages" for nothing. Hey I am not a dang attorney but to me that would be enough grounds to be intruding on both private and personal affairs. Also going by your quotes, Facebook could now be considered unconstitutional(in my thoughts) and a dictatorship more communist maybe not dictator .... hmmmm
    According to BlackOmega, "hey the door is now open, therfore it's no longer private". Also I am saying IT IS ILLEGAL.
  10. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Some food for thought isn't it?
    I know you're not an attorney, but really, I want to thank you for giving me some leads to go on.
    But as that court case I linked to stated, social media sites do not guarantee a reasonable expectation to privacy. Therefore you can not expect it, so even your "private" messages are really not private.

Not quite. Even if the door was open, I could still not lawfully enter unless I was specifically invited in because it is still private property. However, if I was given a key, regardless of whether the door was open or closed, I could still enter as I have implied consent by possession of the key.
  11. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Let's say the door was never locked. To me this is even like the good old "wireless unprotected" debate, I say it's illegal but yet the subscriber should have his/her wifi encrypted. You do really have me thinking from both aspects though...
  12. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    It seems to be perfectly legal for facebook and twitter etc. to HARVEST YOUR ADDRESSBOOK so if it is legal for them, I would imagine it would be legal for others. If the user didnt explicitly deny access (by selecting such option to deny access to facebook twitter, or in your case, logging off) then it is PERFECTLY OK. Ethics are not important in the 21C corporate and political world. They are something we read about in history books ;)

If you want to cover your ass, you need to create a quick "terms of service" and post them or link to them on your PC. The terms of service would be "by using this computer you grant indemnity to the owner of any data left accessible on this PC". If the user chooses not to read this terms of service, their problem! There you go... Covered, a la "corporate ass covering" ;)
    BlackOmega says thanks.
  13. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Isn't illegal from what I understand but I wouldn't do it. Wicked unethical bro.
    BlackOmega says thanks.
  14. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. Where it becomes illegal is if you "hacked" or otherwise obtained the credentials without consent.
    BlackOmega says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    This.

And the other half think they are the voice of reason cause they take the moral highground swings n round abouts.

Illegal - no.

Ethical/moral/PC probably no also, you decide.
  16. dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    Use a public computer and you have a reasonable right of privicy
    Use "MY" computer then you ain't

Its My computer and I'm legely responsible/liable if any law is broken by the use of "MY" computer.
  17. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    its not illegal.
    but.... see... if its HIS/HER personal comp which u are using just for a moment, its not right.

However if someone logs into facebook, from YOUR computer and leaves it open, you better write some funny stuff on their wall :p atleast i DO :p

but be sure to confess it after there has been enough of a fuss :p