1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

If you had $5,000...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by T4C Fantasy, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    It'd be a good start though
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    i would save it and use it in time of need.
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    seriously, I'd use the money to put a new engine in grandpa's truck I inherited(engine currently has 246,000 miles and water in the oil)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. T4C Fantasy

T4C Fantasy CPU & GPU DB Maintainer

Thanks Received:
    that is 2 things... 1 smart... 2 boring
  5. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Buy $100 worth of Taco Bell.
    Buy $300 worth of pepto-bismol.
    Buy $500 worth of prepaid mailers.

Fill each mailer with the results of my first purchase.
    Down all of the second purchase, so my internal organs don't liquefy.
    Send all of the packages to any group supporting PIPA, SOPA, ACTA, or any other draconian internet censorship legislation.

Purchase huge screen TV, and CNN subscription (~$1000).

Watch as everyone on TV news loses their minds. Try not to laugh too hard in case of pepto not working.

Spend half the rest on upgrades, and save the remainder. Those 8xxx and 7xx series cards look like they'll be worth the upgrade.

Edit:
    Yes, I was going lowbrow. Everyone has revenge fantasies, and mine is to make those who try and bury us in crappy legislation know we can send crap their way too.

Childish, stupid, and grotesque. Despite this, I can dream...
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
    T4C Fantasy says thanks.
  6. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I was wanting to place an electric motor on my bicycle so it could go 40 mph.
    Imagine how fun that would be! (I believe bicycles are allowed to go only 20 mph)
    So, I just want to use it when traffic is bad or to drive faster than some of the cars.
    T4C Fantasy says thanks.
  7. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    If i had everything & all was left is to spend it on a PC i would buy the fastest Intel board & CPU & go Xfire or SLI with tri-monitors 30" & couple SSD...

Then i could sit in front of my computer & do all i am doing right now but only a little bit faster which is spending most of my time surfing the net (~75%) , watch movies (~20%) & play games 2-3 hours a month (~5%)... :laugh::rolleyes:
  8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    HA!, well mine hi jacked my computer that i use for a dedi server but that's ok with me as seen as were playing the same game :p.. Other wise she's on the laptop

My wife will never use my comp in fact she cannot due to the mouse speed as it annoys the crap out of her trying to click some thing.

And no i'll never tell her that all she has to do is press 2 buttons and move a mouse wheel to slow it down either lol.

I just add what i think my system needs over time. I don't use a case these days either i see no point in one and saves $100 in upgrades

Back in 06 i would of had no problem dropping $1800 on a system but with the littler one and Remote control cars which gets her out more than a computer.

Just sold my onroad HPI sprint flux which could hit 55mph+ so we could have 2 off road cars.

It's a no brainer, although if my computer died tomorrow i get it back asap i just not into spending really crazy money on one at a single time. Like hell i should of stayed with my 9550 for what extra performance a i5 gives.

Spending 5k on a system is a hell lots of wasted cash and would be better either spent else were or saved for a later time even if that was 1-3 years later it pay off much better that way than spending that kind of cash.
    T4C Fantasy says thanks.
  9. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    it can go eitherway.... spending money on a pc rather than on a vacation *aka a waste of money* because if you live a miserable life and your vacation ends... guess what.... your going to be miserable again so spending money on a vacation is stupid lol...

a pc is way better than a vacation... more entertainment over a period of time and it lasts alot longer....

however this all depends on your preferance... if you need a car.. then a car will be way more important... if you have a car, bills are paid....and live a descent life... spend it on something you will use all the time... your pc, includes tvs/ monitors
  10. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    I'd take the 5k and purchase doom puts on the S&P 500. Then buy my own computer company.

;)

LC
  11. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    NZXT Switch 810, Z77 board, GTX 680 in tri-SLI, 1250W Seasonic PSU, 2x 240mm rads, a lot of fans, a lot of HDDs, big SSD as primary drive. lol
    T4C Fantasy says thanks.
  12. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I would buy a brand new Kawasaki 2013 KXF250 or 450 motocross bike.
  13. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    AsRock says thanks.
  14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sure can go either way but 5k on a system is just a waste unless it's going to be making you money.

And i have a TV that's 3-4 years old and a Sammy LCD thats even older lol. Built over time to give what i need.

I buy what i believe will last me 2-3 years so next thing for me will be a new v card but if games carry one how they are there is no point as my games are running perfectly as is so just for a example spending $300+ on a cpu would be a waste of money to me which is the whole reason i opted for a i5 as a i7 has nothing extra to offer gaming wise and spending $200+ on a mobo is just pointless been their done it, as long as you pick a fairly decent mobo to give at least a average overclock you should be good.

And only just looking at your specs you have already why not just build a system for your wife and build some thing what mine is and that should cover were if she plays the same games with you too ;).

Other wise maybe a good A/V system is in order and if you buy a AV at the right time you can save $100's there too.
    T4C Fantasy says thanks.
  15. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
    i still use a tv i had since 2004... ill never upgrade my fat tv... it does its job well... its a 32 inch sanyo.. you know that famous fat grey tv like everyone had.. haha only thing that i bother to upgrade is my pc, i live cheap and im happy all the time. leaves room for spending... what else can you ask for
  16. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the $5k would be more than enough though, I'll probably have $1.5k to spare? :laugh:
  17. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
  18. xxdozer322

xxdozer322

Thanks Received:
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: being on a PC enthusiast forum and most of the replies are non PC related. AWESOME. id most likely spend it on my car too. new rims, get rid of all the dent, and definitely a pair of some sticky tires. I live in SOCAL, so driving a nice car is basically a must.
    T4C Fantasy says thanks.
  19. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    I would probably build some awesome WC system with which I can put all my radiators just outside my house so I can dump that heat outside and not inside, and cool the hell out of my hardware.

Apart from that I could use some new screens, some new hardware to upgrade my fileserver(which is currently an ancient medion laptop), and a bulkload of harddisks. This would probably still leave me enough money to buy my GF a decent pc aswell.

If I'd spend it all on hardware that is !
    T4C Fantasy says thanks.
  20. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

man i can't wait till i have enough spending money for one of these.
  21. T4C Fantasy

Thanks Received:
  22. cmaxvt

cmaxvt New Member

Thanks Received:
  23. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    prolly build an alternative/extra power source, solar panel perhaps, damn electricity is so expensive one where i live in >.<
  24. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Spend about $800 on a computer, the rest would go to other stuff. I'd probably travel.

And oh yeah, I'd probably buy a Windows tablet.
  25. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Want a Windows tablet Frick? I have one for sale.

On topic: I'd donate it to me, as I can use some money right now.