1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I'm going to build a new system, opinions please.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mnm222876, Mar 26, 2008.

1. mnm222876 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to build a new system and move to Vista. Here's a screenie of my newegg cart. My storage drive will be brought from my current system. Opinions on my choices, good or bad, are welcome.

[​IMG]

-Updated screenie with HDD-

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  2. Duxx Guest

I prefer to get a retail version over OEM for my CPU, and you should check out some comparisons between the Q6600 and the Q9450, may change your mind and save you some bucks. You can find a cheaper 9800GX2, PNY has one for 500, XFX has one for 550, EVGA's step up is nearly useless since u have nothing to upgrade 2. Are you sure you want to go DDR3? Very expensive for minimal gains at their current stage. Planning on going quad with your graphics in the future? And hope you already have a HD, because you didnt mention one :D And i dont know much about Zalman PSU's. Someone comment on thier quality?

3. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Zalman are good quality. As to going DDR3, well for a quad he will see a marked improvement. The reason Intel decided to do DDR3 is because they need the bandwidth for the Quads because they use a memory controller in the northbridge instead of on the CPU like AMD does.

And why not future proof? He'll have a board that will take DDR3 so he'll be able to get better stuff down the line if and when that happens.

4. mnm222876 New Member

Thanks Received:

Thanks Duxx,

I must have added the HDD after the screen shot... The OS drive would be a WD 150GB 10K rpm Raptor.

As for the mobo, I was thinking DDR3 for longer future and upgrade path. The retail version of the Q9450 is not availible yet but yes, I would do the retail version also. I just used the newegg cart to show choice but not of particular brand. When I make my final decision I will shop around for lowest price.

5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    retail vs oem processors... if he's getting an aftermarket cooler, he will be perfectly fine.
    790i... I know the 780i's flopped worse than vista has been

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. mnm222876 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking of getting the Noctua NH-U12P with dual 120mm push-pull fan setup.

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3268

And the 780i flopped, but will the 790i flop too?

7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    WTF?? Did hard drive prices suddenly plummet? $80 for a 320 gig drive... I don't remember seeing something like that.

But yeah two of those would be much better^^

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice system, although I would probably drop the 790 board and get a good x38 or x48 as I would guess it's unlikely that you would want to go SLi with two GX2's :eek: and if you did then I would think you may need to upgrade the PSU, bearing in mind for SLI you would need two 8 pins as well as two 6 pin PCI-E connectors, then I would probably go for the Q9550 over the 9450.......just my thoughts............maybe even stick with what I have said but rather than the GX2 go HD3870x2 on the x38 or 48 board as that will be a cheaper route to quad sli/xfire with less power complications.