1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I'm guessing that Diablo 3 WILL be pay to play.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nick89, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Will Diablo 3 be pay to play?

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=14697600550&sid=3000
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
    AlienIsGOD and streetfighter 2 say thanks.
  2. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    Napalm Death song says : "Can't play, won't pay"

i think i'll stick to this :cool:
  3. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    I agree with that I understand they do have to make cash. When you pay for the game and most internet companies are raising their prices as well its a bummer to have to pay for game time.
  4. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Thanks Received:
    I refuse to pay for multiplayer. There's no excuse for this. I'm fine now, I'll be fine long after D3 is released. I feel bad for all of the people who will pay. :/
  5. CounterZeus

CounterZeus

Thanks Received:
    D3 is now officially off my buying list.
  6. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    How did that age old quote go...

"What the heck? I put three skill points in Improved Blizzard, but the company still sucks !"
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  7. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Stupid game companies all starting to charge us to play. I'm never buying a Pay to Play game ever. I don't care what it is they won't take my money like that. Hope no one buys their games.

At least I know Valve will be there for me. I LOVE U VALVE <3
  8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I had very little interest in Diablo 3 and now I have none. Congrats Activision Blizzard, you achived the impossible.

First subscription services to play online, then deliverying half-assed games with "DLCs to come", then "internet connection required" to play single player games, and since that wasn't enough, now you have to pay to play your single player game? Is the gaming industry completely shameless now? I'm a devout PC gamer and all this stupidity is making me buy games from as much as 12 years ago (StarCraft Battle Chest--supposed to ship soon) rather than new games. That's how much of a turn-off this shit is.
    AphexDreamer says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I do that to, mostly because old games are better. :(

Anyway, the only cost is for online so I'm not really affected, but it still is kinda sucky.

Just you wait, they will probably fall in line with it too. -_-

I can kinda see why they do it though. Pretty much all Blizzard games are more about online play than single player (except maybe Lost Vikings :p). Will it be worth it though? That depends. They need to add a LOT of goodies for that.
  10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll get Diablo 3 for the single player ... when it's about $9 in the bargain bin.
    I'm in no hurry.

@Ford : Silver level is opt-out (no monthly fee) for SP only. Just the one-time purchase price.
  11. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my question is why would i want do play it online anyway?hasnt diablo always been single player looting game,and by online what do they mean? co-op looting? diablo for me has always been that when you have finished the story and you have free time on your hands you can go and loot to find better guns and armor(just like borderlands and torchlight)
  12. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pay to play huh? Who exactly do they expect is gonna pay $15 a month to play a $60 new game? I honestly can't think of anyone but die hard WoW fans and we all know they aren't actually people.

Screw it. I'll be sticking to Torchlight 2.
  13. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Wow, this is just a kick in the balls. I'm so disappointed at Blizzard.

The ONLY way I am going to even think of getting this game is if they lower the monthly subscription fee to $10 per month. Even that sounds a little steep. Freakin Xbox Live only costs a measly $50 a YEAR! D3 will cost $180 a year.

Blizzard, you are despicable. I am with you Kreij, but unfortunately I don't think that a game of this calibur will ever go below $30, even $40. Take a look at how much D2 and LOD still cost.
  14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    It's coming. It is inevitable. Remember, they already nicked LAN support from StarCraft II. Give the people the ability to host their own multiplayer servers and all this nonsense goes away (as it was for the past 2 and a half decades). But no, they are control freaks. It is disgusting.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Here's how I pay for my games these day (I don't use Mp so that irrelevant).

Fantastic Game, one of the best -> When it hits $29
    Great game, top tier -> When it hits $19
    Decent game -> When it hit's $9
    A Developer I want to suppport -> I'll pay full price when it comes out. (I just got Elemental : War of Magic at full price becuase I support Stardock and what they are doing. Heck, I bought 2 copies of GalCiv 2 becuse it has no DRM)

Anything else that looks interesting ... $1.99 (or less) on Steam.

If eveyone starts charging a monthly fee to play SP games I will simply stop buying games and play the ones I have.
    I have enough games to last me the rest of my life if I start pulling mods for them.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
    DonInKansas says thanks.
  16. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Because we all know Blizzard doesnt make enuff already off WoW subscriptions
  17. Nickzy

Nickzy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Blizzard is just some money greeding bastards :banghead:
  18. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    @Altec : Co-op dungeon crawling and looting is a lot of fun when you are playing with people you know.

@Ford : How about me and you write a generic game server that allows plug-ins so you can play any game you want on your lan? We won't get rich, but we'll get LOTS of attention. :roll:

@Alien : Yeah .. With the slowdown in the economy Blizzard has fallen on hard times. They've dropped from obscene profits back down to gross profits. I can feel their pain. :rolleyes:
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  19. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    I'm going blind at an early age... where is this confirmation annoucement?
  20. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure there is a crapload of encrypted authentication BS that prevents that very thing from happening. Additionally, most games are configured to use one master server and without modifying the game to use an alternate master server, alternates might as well not exist. Basically, it would be fruitless and the greedy bastards would simply constantly patch or otherwise modify their service in order to render such a service useless. They will do that because "bypassing" their "services" are in violation of their EULA.

Conclusion: Just don't touch it with a 10'+ pole, ever. They'll make your life hell either way. That's the way the business works these days.

I'm going to start work on a game concept I've been thinking about for years (I mentioned it in another thread) once Microsoft gets XNA 4.0 out. You're welcome to help on that. ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. DriedFrogPills

DriedFrogPills New Member

Thanks Received:
    the thread you linked has nothing about D3 being subscription based. its a thread arguing about the percieved benefits or negatives or of a subscription service. and no where in the link was the quote in the original post
  22. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    not a big deal single play is still for free(after buying game) so this news didnt changed my mind at all.I will still get game and play it.And when i'm done with all modes in singleplayer i will start multiplayer or whatever there is.
  23. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    you right i didnt see any words stated in first post in that link.So it looks like he made this own fantasies
  24. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I read nothing of the OP's statement in his source link.
  25. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Where's the link to this announcement? I'm pretty sure it would be easier to find than in the middle of a fanboy forum thread.