1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I'm in quite a pickle...

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by pbmaster, May 20, 2008.

1. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok. First off, I don't really want to catch a bunch of negativity about tattoos in the first place. Just want to see what others think of this situation.

Currently I am 17, making me a minor and unable to get tattoos without parental consent. One of my friends at work does tattoos as a side job and said he could do one for me. Knowing he was unlicensed, I began looking at what I could potentially want and talking to my mom about it. My mom said I could do it, I went ahead with it, and then got another a few weeks later.
    (Side note: I live with my stepmom and real dad)

The day of high school graduation my stepmom and dad discover my first one, on my back. They go crazy and talk of me being grounded for life and putting the guy who did it in jail. They tell me I have to get blood tests to see if I have HIV or Hepatitus C or something like that. I watched him open the needle and clean all the other stuff. The tattoos healed properly and are looking really good.

This morning around 8:30 my stepmom runs in and says "Show me your ankle!", where my other is. How she found out I don't know. Now I have to tell my dad tonight when I get off work. If my dad wasn't going to press charges, he certainly is now.

My questions: Are they overreacting? Can my friend get in any real trouble for this? Could I die?

2. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, probably she found out because she saw your ankle while you were asleep or something...

Do they know who did your tattoo?
    If it were me, if they don't know I wouldn't be telling them. I mean okay it's illegal and all that stuff but would it really matter if within some time you can still get them done legally yourself? So it wouldn't be worth to ruin your friend's reputation with the law. I don't know US law but I guess he can get into serious trouble operating without a licence... on a minor... plus he'll have to prove that he's not un-declaring any possible income.....

What is the age when you can do tattoo without consent in the US? Is it 18?
    Anyway no matter the legal age I'd play the victim and tell them promise that you won't do any more tattoos and tell them to forgive you and all that....
    Or else have your stuff done on the parts of your body which your parents shouldn't normally see..... ;)

3. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know about other states, but you don't have to have consent in Georgia if you're 18. I turn 18 in August. And about them not finding out who he is, they already know. :(

4. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Well honestly I don't want to 'mummy' you but really you should have waited 3 months and avoided all the trouble...:slap:

The only thing that remains to do is to play sorry, and if necessary tell them you'll do tattoos only after your 18th birthday and under a licenced professional. If they persist against tattoos tell them it is your right to decide within 3 months and that it wouldn't be fair to get your friend in trouble just because you took your decision 3 months early...

It'd be best not to drag your mum's consent into the story... for her own sake at least... because such things between adults could get ugly... :ohwell:

5. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I know. My mom honestly did tell me I could do it though...
    I'm just fearing what's going to happen tonight when my dad finds out about my other one

6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, he could be in trouble is charges are pressed.

7. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure both offenses are misdemeanors though, so could he go to jail? He already told me if he goes to jail for any real length of time his gf won't ne able to pay the rent by herself.

8. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Well since your b'day is only 3 months away I'm ready to bet that they're over-reacting, to show who is in control. Parents tend to think that if they are lenient over one issue then they risk losing control....

If you are really really worried about your dad discovering, I do have a somewhat wicked idea which might work if you know someone capable of doing it and are ready to do some sacrifice...

Do you know anyone in hospital/clinic or perhaps know someone who can apply plaster to your ankle? A bandage won't work because they can ask you to take it off but if you 'white lie' that you broke your ankle and it's in plaster (and has to stay in for 3 months...) then you're practically covered.

9. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    That won't work lol, my stepmom is going to make me tell my dad about my ankle tonight.

10. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    kk what you do is suck it up....now when you tell your dad your step mom is probably going to flip her shit....this is going to make everything alot worse so just stay calm and talk about it dont raise your voice...they may ask you questions like how old is he were does he live or similar questions....this is going to make it so they are steering you into answeres...clear your head of this stuff and fight it. give them 1 word answers that arent to informative than counter by bumbarding them with questions...now if your dad is a cool guy..stary playing butter on him....if he has a tattoo use that play innocense..well dad has one and i kinda just hoped you guys would like it...now dont tell them much about the tattoing process just what they need to know....tell them it was sanitary...and if he's an ammiture and they dont know it dont tell them..but dont tell them he's a pro..now if he does own his own shop or somthing tell them that...you want to make this look as good as possible for you and him.

11. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    They know all about how it's done. They looked everything up on the internet. They also know who he is and where he works, just doesn't know where he lives, other than city. I know everything was sanitary, like I said I watched him open the needles and clean everything else.

12. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Both offenses are misdemeanors. It is unlikely that he would do jail time unless he has a bunch of prior convistions or something.

However, the below state statues can be superceded by more stringent county or municipality laws, if there are any.

13. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    He hasn't done any time before. He says he's never even gotten a ticket. I just don't understand why they are acting like this.

14. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    Deny everything. Simplest way to do it. If you have any female friends who are willing, ask them to cover the tattoos in makeup the same shade as your skin.

15. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Ben here. Go to any drug store and ask them for a cosmetic concealer to cover birth-marks. They're very efficient!

Then if the worst comes to the worst tell them that laser procedures remove tattoos... if they think that is necessary for you to be tattoo-free till next August...

16. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why would I cover them up when my parents have already seen them?

17. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:

Yeah, "Tattoos? What tattoos?!?"

It was great for me. At my Baptism we had to enter a pool in front of the congregation. I was wearing a white t-shirt and when I came up, my 5 black stars down my spine totally showed through the shirt! My brother-in-law (who did them for me) wanted to stand up and say something like: "It's a miracle!" or "Those weren't there before!" That punk...:rolleyes:

18. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Tell them it was henna? :ohwell: And only one parent saw it so far, no?

19. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Take your lumps. But before you do, do some homework such as print out info about Hepatitis, HIV, etc. Also, learn about cleanliness while getting a tattoo and show that you are informed.

Ask them what their huge fear is and try to explain why you did what you did. You're 3 months from 18, so let them know you thought you were "close enough" but do respect their feelings and authority.

Most of all, be honest with them and take what's coming. Try to protect your friend as much as you can and let them know how you feel about that as well if they press too hard regarding legal, etc. It's not the end of the world, this too shall pass and someday you'll look back and laugh.

20. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    whats your design bud? mine is this one, got it on Saturday 40 minutes and £80, going to get another same place but other shoulder soon

Attached Files:

21. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Getting tattoos done from unauthorised/un-licensed artists is a crime, the artist commits a bigger crime. That aside, they're justified in having your diagnostic tests done, as also the reaction to it all. Your coworker may be trustworthy to you, but not to them.

22. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    WhiteLotus: Typically I hate tattoos, but yours is actually really cool!

PBMaster: I'm sorry, but you are in a pickle. You should have had it done by a professional and just waited until you're 18. Even then, you'll prob regret your tattoo in several years anyway.

WhiteLotus says thanks.
  23. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    thanks bud,

on topic for a second. Tattoos

Yes they do hurt when your getting them but the pain is tolerable, also make sure your getting a design done that you will NEVER tire off and in a place that suits you. i got mine done on my back because arms and legs are just too easy to see by people you dont want to see them, say for example your boss who may not approve.

as for getting them done underage - well if you want one that bad then of course your going to find a way to get it but i think it is a little irresponsible, but you have it now you cant get it off. I would just own up, luckily for me my mum and dad were totally cool with the idea, dad even told me were to get it.

basically dont be a dickhead about the issue just confess up, whats done is done. and just refuse to get your "mate" in to trouble - really he shouldn't have done the artwork on you if he wants to a reputable tattoo artist.

24. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The reason there are age limits is because of those questions. You can't make your own decisions and aren't informed well enough.

I'm on your parents side, being a rebel does you no good.

25. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Not in this country. PB has committed no crime.