1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I'm planning on an upgrade in May

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by skellattarr, Jan 16, 2012.

1. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    The Asus Crosshair V Formula was bought already (and it's not even May yet)... :p
  2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    :( Yea I would return and pickup a Z68
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the OP just told all the Intel guys... hehehe

[​IMG]

j/k... I would have went 2500k.. I have two..lol :p
    brandonwh64 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No offense to go against your motherboard and CPU choices, but Ivy Bridge will give better performance in games compared to the FX cpus. The Ivy Bridge i5-3570k and a Z77 MB along with 16GB's of RAM wont set you back much more, if not no more than the FX series and the Crosshair V Formula and create less heat, and perform alot better!

Also getting back to your orginal question :D Your sound card will still perform better than on board for sure!
  6. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    all you intel guys are ok in my book but i like the crosshair v board so im a sucker lol, any way i found a thread in a different forum where this one dude was using the same memory that i have picked out and said it works great. im getting the memory next month then saving for cpu it will be around may or June for that or when piledriver comes out any way don't make fun of me because i like amd and enjoy your intel pc's.
  7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Not making fun dude. Just wanted to see you get the most out of your rig. Far from fanboi, you know this. Will say this, CHV I am a sucker too but it costs way too much for what it is, especially when you can get a board that will work just as good for 50%-60% of it's tag.
  8. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    hi all i got my mushkin memory now im waiting for piledriver to come out. that is going to be a long wait lol.
  9. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Way to build a new system, one part every month; by the the time it's finished it's going to be so outdated. :rolleyes:
  10. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    :roll:
  11. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    it doesn't matter if he build a system 1 part per month, so long as he build it in the end :laugh:

but hey I have some friends with 8150 + crosshair v formula and it performs well but not on the same level of i7 (I'm talking about work related stuff) but when he tried playing some games well not much different but better eye candy and other stuff on intel, so far hes happy with his build.
  12. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    OK, What if you wait and piledriver is not the same socket?........

Just thinking out side the box now. But you may be looking for yet another board to use with the new AMD chip
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    But AMD has already issued a statement that Virshna (desktop Piledriver) will be AM3+.
    and have a 10-15% IPC improvement and ~10-20% higher clocks as well as being more energy efficient with that nice new mesh layer thing.

I mean, the piledriver-based Trinity APU AMD is saying is ~1/3 faster than Llano STARS cores (which so far have the highest IPC of any desktop AMD processor I know of.) And are being clocked about 25% higher, so that will be interesting. Oh and a ~%50 increase in GPU power will be interesting to see. But that's mainstream FM2, not the Virshna AM3+ cores.
  14. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    110% confirmed?
  15. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    HMM I am just saying, they may change their minds like when AM3+ came out. Many places would swear that any AM3 board would support BD but come to find out only a limited few did and you must have the Black socket as well. They may have a new red socket.... OMG I HAVE SAID TOO MUCH!!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    lol. Well it's certainly in the realm of possibility, however I doubt that AMD would pull a move to completely kill off a good portion of it's remaining fanbase, and hence kill it's income. Given AM3+ currently has an unused pin socket, and that Piledriver is literrally just "enhanced Bulldozer", and that engineering samples were supposedly being tested before Bulldozer's release, I would have to say I would be quite suprised if it wasn't on AM3+.
  17. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    i got my system together now i can't overclock it. i thank its ether the power supply or the video cards when i try to go to 3.8ghz windows loses its arrow and i have to go back to 3.6 and reboot to get arrow back.