1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I'm slowly becoming addicted to these forums . . .

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by theJesus, Aug 17, 2008.

1. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I don't even remember the original reason I joined (I just read the front page for a while), but not having a working pc of my own at the moment and not being able to do more than browse the web and IM on my parents' PC (they disabled my administrative rights and it's vista, so I can't install shit or do much of anything now, and I don't want to bother getting around any of this as that would piss them off and they probably wouldn't let me on here anymore) . . . I now find myself checking these forums more and more frequently each day. It started with the project logs and case modding/electronics, and then expanded to the BSTG and hot deals so I could constantly look for deals that I don't really have the money for (except when it's for my girlfriend and thus with her money). Then I started in general nonsense and occasionally some of the recent posts on the index.

I've been on here pretty much all day today and I'm not sure whether I'm proud of it or ashamed :confused:

Edit: I think I'm also catching the upgrade/tinker bug. I have a feeling that as soon as I get a job, I'm gonna continue browsing the BSTG and hot deals, but actually buy a lot more stuff, just cuz it's a good deal lol . . . regardless of whether or not I actually need it, just because I might have a use for it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  2. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    so am i.... this forum got me hooked on oc'ing... and now i basically live in the buy/sell forum

3. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I've been hooked on ocing since I built my system back in december 06, and the quest for optimal cheap air-cooling has led to many a ghetto-mod (will post pics in the ghetto mod thread once my shit's back up and I can access the older ones). I selected the components specifically with ocing and upgrading in mind, but didn't get around to the latter for a while since I quit my job shortly after paying it all off (the job sucked). I'm still always lurking for good deals and telling myself "oh sweet I'll buy that as soon as I get a job", but I never get around to doing so lol.

4. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I have been an addict since January of 06. Been here quite a while.

5. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    hmmm, maybe we need a TPUAA lol

edit: idk why anybody would care, but this is general nonsense so whatever . . . I'm going to go eat a bowl or two of cocoa krispies :)

6. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have been here since jan 08 posting but of course registered long before that, i forgot i even signed up here.

7. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm kinda addicted to another forum so i can't be addicted to this one

i must say this is the most knowledgeable tech forum i have visited, however. geeks like me who get excited about our power supplies and stuff

very little flaming and trolling, lots of help and information, low count of idiots. good forum imo

8. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    You have always had a very interesting avatar. What does it mean?:)

9. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    you know i have no idea? i saw this forum allowed big ones and i picked this one off my computer somewhere. i just liked it and put it up

maybe its time for a change....hmm....let me think...

nah, i'll keep it awhile :)

10. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    @candle: lol, I have a tendency to do that when I lurk somewhere and just want to see a pic or something
    @psycho: I fully agree with you. I can't say I've posted too much on other tech forums, but people here and indeed very knowledgeable, and compared to other forums in general I've been at there's hardly any flaming/trolling. The little bit there is usually gets taken care of properly as well.
    edit: I like the avvy, keep it

11. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    no i didn't even lurk. I forgot i even registered here. I showed up in Jan 08 and tried to register and it said my email was not availble and already registered, so i tired the same username and password i use on every forum and logged in. I checked when I logged in, I had zero posts anywhere. No idea why I ever signed up

12. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    i find the same. i mean sure thier are other tech forums i guess, probably good but this one in comparison to other forums in general just seems to have a nice tone

and no stupid fanboy stuff going on. oh sure good natured ribbing in the "rate the system above you thread" and elsewhere sometimes. and us AMD guys have to be hearty sometimes when the C2D posts start to get going, but all in all its a good place to come to. much better then the guru3d forums, which are ok and the only other tech forum i am signed up at.

but this one is fun enough and loose and informative. always lots of posters around with help for a question or an opinion. it really is a nice place to check into on the internet

13. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    lol, I think I've done that a couple times. I'm still pretty sure it was to view a pic though. Like I clicked a link to a thread somewhere and wanted to see a pic in it, so I registered and completely forgot about it afterwards.
    Edit: @psycho: I think the main reason I like this forum is the people. There's not too many, but still enough to keep it flowing on a daily basis, and everybody seems to be relatively familiar with everybody else even if they don't have 1,000's of posts.

14. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I never do that, It was prolly to reply to some thread, so i signed up and forgot to reply afterwards, ive done that before. For instaces im a member of bjorn3d found that out recently. Also a member of OC wiki found that out also, oh and I keep getting email from the ubuntu forums lol. I wonder where else im a memeber of

15. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    lol nice. I'm pretty sure half the forums I've registered for were for that reason and the other half were because I wanted to see a screenshot of a pr0n I was considering dling :laugh:

16. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    congratulations! you have successfully been inflicted with tpuitis!

symptons include: prolonged computer usage, urge to make tpu your homepage, posting at rapid posts-per-day ratios (also known as post whoring), and the urge to waste lots of money on high end computer hardware that you dont need!

side effects include: increased hate for pre-built systems, the virtual to real friends ratio moves to the left, the e-penis grows to a size bigger then the real penis, possible fanboism towards one specific company. some serious side effects also are: loss of friends, overexcessive usage or obesity with computer hardware, and loss of female realationships. (serious side effects are rare, but contact a doctor immediately should any of the serious side effects occur)

cure: a massive banstick.

v2.0 says thanks.
  17. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i dislike every other pc and tech forum, its just there is no other forum that can come close to the greatness of TPU, its useful and informative news, its easy to get along with members, its good buy sell sub forum, its helpful members, less of those elitists, fun, addictive, less people who flame spam or break the rules, less strict rules you really only need to not insult spam and post in the correct topics and threads

NEXT TO NO FANBOYS!!!
    very impartial members

18. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    sigged :roll::roll:

19. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is a "cure" to treat tpuitus. I recomend not recieving it in any way!!!

Side affects of treatment are but are not limited to dizzyness, dry heev's, hives, weight gain, sudden loss of self esteem, depression, heavy drug use and or drinking, road rage, sudden loss of short term memory, more dry heev's, a sudden urge to be around other humans, dust build up on your rig <--- not good and EMOitus.

Please stay clear of this so called "cure". Tpuitus is controlable is administered in proper dosages. A daily dose of TPU is also known to re-grow that failing hair line and also to make that certain area of the male body to seem larger like the latenight tv talks about.

20. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Damn, those side affects sound scary :( Do you think maybe there's a patch I can go on? :laugh:

21. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Sooooo true:toast:

22. mep916

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the club. Better than crack, I suppose.

23. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    This is what I have said for over 4 years now. We all have differences in our views, but one common denominator keeps all together:) It is a great mix of members, admins and content.
    I hang out at TPU, home and work.
    In September, there will be a big LAN in my city and I hope to meet a few TPU members.

http://www.showdownlan.com/

24. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
    same here..but still fun.

25. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Oh damn, I'd love to go to a big LAN like that, but it's hard for me to ever travel out of state (ohio) without family. I suppose it would help if I got a job so my parents would let me drive the car that's waiting for me though :banghead: