1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I'm still thinking to upgrade to a GTX 480

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Live OR Die, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Im just thinking of the long run here if i sell my 2 card i could get around $250+ AU so thats $500 and if i change my order from 2 coolers for my cards then thats $200 more so all i would need to pay would be $50 for a new card with DX11 what do you guys think input would be great.

2. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Yeah sure go for it, just beware of the heat but I don't think its that bad of a issue.

Live OR Die says thanks.
  3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't sound like to bad of a deal if anything else I would try and snag a better cooler for the fermi while you were at it

Live OR Die says thanks.
  4. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    One gtx 480 is about the same performance as your sli probably a little better and power consumption would also be better + dx11 .In your situation i would go for it.

Live OR Die says thanks.
  5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I'd wait for the improved "GTX 485" variant, or go for a 5870/5970 instead.

This card has too many compromises to my mind: very expensive, disabled shader cluster reducing performance, plus lots of heat and noise.

You are still spending a huge amount of money on it, whether you're getting money back from selling old stuff or not; doing the same thing and buying a cheaper card will still save you that price difference.

Then again, the unique nvidia features such as 3D Vision & PhysX might be important to you, so there's no hard and fast answer here. Enjoy whatever you get. :)

The next version built on a smaller process will kick ass... but will have to compete with ATI next gen cards of course. :D

Live OR Die says thanks.
  6. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the input i didn't want to wait to long because my cards are dropping in what there worth so i thought this was the best thing i could go for, i was think about ATI but there drivers put me off abit and no physX

7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I was gonna suggest a GTX 285 if you really wanna go nvidia, but I see you've got 280's :laugh: The only worthwhile upgrade at the moment in my book is a 5870 or 5970 really.

Can you live with a borrowed cheap graphics card for a month or two, perhaps? I'm thinking you could sell your cards, wait a bit and get the 480 at a more reasonable price later on. I'll bet it's at least $100 cheaper by then.

8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sell your cards fast, then get either a 5850 or 5870 for now. Crossfire them in the future. But getting GTX480, I don't think you will get one which is worth the price.

9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Qubit may have a good plan get an 8400gs and wait for a price drop

qubit says thanks.
  10. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    so whats so bad about the 480 that should make me what to go ati? looking a W1zzard review its not the best card for its price in most games it ranks up ok? with most of the time ati bets it on my res, i was think of a 480 just because my 280s have done well.

11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I think it's unrealistic to expect NV to drop the price on the GTX 480 anytime soon. It's already established that it sells for very little profit if not a loss (due to the TSMC balls up with 40nm rendering a very poor yield).
    Likewise, the GTX 485 that does not exist would probably have to wait until 28nm fabrication is in place as the suggested 32nm is being skipped if i heard right somewhere?
    The current 40nm process cannot easily make 512 cores work and NV will likely be looking ahead already. If anything, they will start using the wafers they have to produce the ranges of lower power (GTX 460 etc).

I repeat, DO NOT hold out for a GTX 480 price drop. If you think about the GTX 295's they still sell for £400 in the UK and the GTX 280's didnt come down in price when the GTX285 came out. There would have to be an abundance of GTX 480's in stock when the 'GTX 485' came out for there to be a price drop and we know there isn't going to be a lot of GTX 480's out there anyway (rationale being the GTX 480 becomes 'end of line' when the GTX 485 is produced - again the GTX 485 does not exist!!)

On the gfx card front. If you must go NV, weigh up the odds. If a single GTX 480 outperforms the sli GTX 285 and consumes same power, then why not. Bear in mind though the GTX2xx series had good acoustics. However, if you get an aftermarket cooler, then why not. If i was green i'd probably mod up to a watercooled GTX 480.

Final thought, two GTX 285's i'm sure rip the piss out of Physx as the second 285 gets to do the work. How does a single GTX 480 compare on Physx to 2 285's?

Vitaliy69 and Live OR Die say thanks.
  12. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What's so bad about ATI that prevents you from switching :laugh:? Well, the GTX480 is not a product well done (kinda reminds me of all those Toyotas in States suffering from braking failure) so its best to stay away from them for now. And the fact that its going to be super expensive.

Live OR Die says thanks.
  13. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    umm makes me think what should i get :confused: the price doesn't bother me much because works out the same for me buyin 2 new coolers for 2 old cards.

14. twistedneck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its a good idea.. the 480 has a lot to offer. But good luck getting a card. i've had a PNY gtx480on pre-order at provantage since March 29th, still no card.

15. ArkanHell New Member

Thanks Received:
    I say, Go ahead! just remember that you will need 1.21 gigawatts to make it work, and I know in the future you can buy that at an online store, but right now the only thing that can provide such power is a lightning and we never know where will strike one.... or we do?

Quick! to the clock tower!!

16. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    ill probably end up getting one off ebay from the us

17. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    It will be hard to sell it once the Fermi 512 variant arrives.

18. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Why is it super expensive?; especially compared to a 5870?

I'm not sure why you're even asking Live... maybe if you rephrased the topic as 'Do you have GTX 480s? What are they like?'

Sure you can look at Wizzard's review but -barring inciting another flame thread- you need to speak to someone who's using them on a daily basis, with modern titles over a spectrum of average situations.

But yes, I'd say it's definitely an upgrade. You just have to find the cards :)

19. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    In the UK, hd5870's are around £300, the hd5970 is around £500 and the gtx480 is around £450 :laugh: it's ridiculous. Nvidia are not going to be selling anything in this country to anyone except major fanboys or people who really really like physX.

20. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    From the reports of others who have it heat is not the only issue. Noise is another issue as some who use it have to really crank up the fan to keep heat under wraps. They try to fool themselves into thinking that fan noise is "not that bad" but hey they are stuck with it now (IE: sold their card(s) and got that one).

21. lukesky

Thanks Received:
    I'd say go for it. GTX 480 is probably quieter and draws less power than your GTX 280 on SLI. It's a win win situation for you if you can resell your card for a high value still.
    A note on noise level clears up the mystery of the noise level.

22. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Thinking about getting a 480 myself.

The fan noise cant be that bad...Hell the 5870's sound like a leaf blower if you turn them up.

23. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you are missing the obvious here. Any video card with that fan design will be noisy if you have to crank it up. From what I see from the post online people have to keep the fan speed around 65%+. Making the fan noise loud. Sure you can make the fan spin at a low % but you compensate better cooling for heat. So if one buys the card you will either do one or the other. After you watch (and listen) to that video is why you never "just look at the numbers" when it comes to noise ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  24. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely. I've just watched it and it doesn't sound that bad to me. The card is running flat out running Furmark, so you'd expect the fan to work hard - my GTX 285 would too. The important thing is that it sounds mainly like windrush noise, which is much easier on the ear. It's the whiny noises that really get to you, even if they're fairly quiet and they can always be engineered out with good fan design.

Just checked out another YouTube video and this one sounds like a leafblower... no whine, but incredibly loud, nonetheless. Open case with noise meter right next to card measuring 62dB.

25. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    i have asked over on the evga site and all the people there are saying its a good card and is no louder than my 280, some people are mad getting 3 of them, i placed a order for one i never brought a ati card so think ill stay on the nvidia path and for selling it when a new cards out ill probably just keep it like i did my 280 and sli when they drop to half price :)

here the thread if any one want to look
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=306208