1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I'm still thinking to upgrade to a GTX 480

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Live OR Die, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:

The difference between the video I showed you is that the mic is a few feet away from the card inside an enclosed case. Much further then what I believe most people are from their PC. Your video has the mic within a foot from the card. So one can speculate that the very noise you don't want to hear may in fact be the case depending on your setup.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. CyberCT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just go for it.

I got my hands on an EVGA GTX470 SC which should be at my place on Tuesday. It will hold me over until the next round of cards. I currently have an EVGA GTX 285 FTW which works great, but I wand DX11 functionality so it's going on ebay. I'll bet the voltage was upped a little on the SC for the higher clocks, which will be helpful when overclocking the card. These things are supposed to overclock like crazy according to the reviews. I play games with headphones so the fan noise won't bother me one bit.

I'd love to have a 480 but it doesn't really fit my need. You on the other hand will probably be quite happy with it. Just get a decent set of headphones and set the fan on something high. You should be fine.
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what games do you play that even use hardware physX? theres only 15 of them in existence.
  4. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    yer the fan doesn't really bother me much when my cpu fan is on max its louder than my 280 so i probably wont even here it, i only can get the normal version i wanted the SC but they dont sell them over hear and theres only one on ebay and he wont send it out side the US, i think the SC will just have the bios clock set high like the 280 did so i think i should be ok trying to oc it lol

edit bioshock 2 and UT3 and a few others
  5. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    But, but, but nvidia has physX plastered over the box! that means it's the best thing since sliced bread! Conveniently ignoring that the gtx480 has been demonstrating lower performance in directcompute 5.0, which is what will likely be the medium of hardware physics for dx11.
  6. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    what games do you play that even use directcompute 5.0 physics? theres only 0 of them in existence.
    bobzilla2009, crush3r and Mussels say thanks.
  7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    True, but my 285 doesn't sound like that and my PC is next to me on the right, with the side panel permanently off. Even my noisy 2900 XT wasn't anywhere near that.

In the end, I don't think noise measurements under such an extreme test as Furmark are fair anyway. It's designed to put the card under maximum stress, so no wonder the fan ramps up. Using it under typical gaming conditions (a stressful game like Crysis is ok) at high res and high details would be a much fairer test of the noise one can expect when gaming.
  8. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    I dont understand the point of asking for advice here (receiving legitimate advice) and then following the stampede from the evga forum to buy a 480. The people over there would still buy 480s at almost any price with any noise output. :confused:

I'd like to see what Nvidia can do with this architecture but for now you're wasting your money.
    EastCoasthandle says thanks.
  9. ERazer

ERazer New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol wow i never been into forum thats so biased, never mention anything bad @ all about 480
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    it doesnt really matter what you do, cards tend to crank up to max anyway.

high detail at 30 FPS or low detail at 300FPS, the cards working just as hard, therefore, same power and heat. and trust me, the heat builds up - so on a cool day you might have nice quiet gaming, but on a hot day, or if you leave the PC on... you suffer whiny fan noise that just annoys the shit out of u
  11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    That's better than nothing! :laugh:
  12. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    i just wanted people thoughts on the card and what i was doing, i like evga cards and nvidia chips so i guess i would pay more for some think i like more, you would do the same i probably buy a GTX Pro cooler when they come out for it :) and thanks for every ones input but i was happy with my 280 so i think ill be happy with a 480
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thats what people said when the geforce FX series came out... look how that went.
  14. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    yer it sucked :laugh: but i dont know why people dont like the 480 so much i know it uses more power than a ati card but i really think there potential to be unlocked by drivers look at the 280 when it come out, it was nothing to what the 8800's did in its time and it not really any difference from buying intel over amd
  15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    it uses so much power its likely to cause problems for a lot of motherboards... it even breaches the 300W limit at full load, set by PCI-E 2.0
  16. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    i think my board should be ok to handle it maybe they made it for PCI-E 3.0 haha
  17. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:

That benchmark uses unrealistic algorithms to measure peak theoretical values. In any realistic computation benchmark, the Fermi cards will be faster, for sure.

Not that it makes the GTX480 justifiable for gaming, because it doesn't. Even if the compute shaders sart being intensively used in games, adding a secondary graphics card for computing should be cheaper and more efficient, power-wise.
  18. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    aye, to be honest i just hope game developers just start actually utilizing some features like hardware physics, (no matter what is said, the smoke in that little demo was actually quite nice and it'd be an awesome addition to a good game) i'd imagine it's going to be via directcompute or openCL though. I have no doubt the gtx480 will perform admirably, as will the hd5870 :)

Also, aye, thar be nothing really using directcompute 5.0 yet :) but since it is linked to dx11 i can see developers being more likely to choose it over OpenCL, and we all know physX won't have much of a future after that, still physX is a nice preview! There's no way i'd ever choose not to have it given the choice to run it on my hd5870. Also, I'm sure any performance deficit will be overcome by drivers for nvidia, after all the grunt is there for gpgpu.
  19. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    That's what I call a red flag. I wish we had a smiley holding up a red flag/red card icon. I've seen it before but I don't know where.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
    TRIPTEX_CAN says thanks.
  20. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    you're gonna card me on this one? awwe

[​IMG]
    EastCoasthandle says thanks.
  21. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
  22. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    i really dont know why some people just upset over a thread that was made for input
  23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no one likes giving advice only to be ignored.
  24. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I'm like some others, I don't care what amd comes out with, give me my geforce, and let me blow some doors down! Fanboi, hell yeah! Another saying comes to mind, don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen! If I could afford a 480, I'd jump on it!!! It's tech, and it's fun! If you can afford it, buy it, and enjoy it!
  25. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    aye, in the UK a hd5970 is only £50 more though :) so a gtx480 is a bit illogical for the most part. Unless you hate dual gpu setups with a passion.