• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

iMac AMD Radeon 5750 (5850m) flash error

iMacDKOwner2013

because the device ID is wrong = 'card not found'

NO...see ^^^
in the pic red square your vid card?? could be removed & replaced or fixed

I honestly dont know? I have not opened my iMac because I dont want to ruined it furthermore... However I dont think the GPU is upgradable?

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
could be removed & replaced or fixed
looking @ the pics in your link this would be a job for somebody @ a repair shop unless you have the stones to do it yourself the vid card is deep in the system ... My advice take it to a shop

iMacDKOwner2013

looking @ the pics in your link this would be a job for somebody @ a repair shop unless you have the stones to do it yourself the vid card is deep in the system ... My advice take it to a shop

But is it fixable? I do have the stones to do it, but I need to know what to do? Can I flash it myself or is more machinery needed? If so what is needed?

System Name MONEY PIT
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Mouse Rat7
However I dont think the GPU is upgradable?

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Store_30.html if it can be removed then it can be replaced
you would need to remove the card find the eeprom chip because of the way it's installed doing the 1-8 pin fix is out of the ? the only other way would be to remove the chip from the card & reprogram it with a eeprom writer ..AND reinstall it on the card ...nit for the faint of hart unless your real good with thr sodering iron
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZP2010-Hig...048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f9c1b538

Last edited:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
iMacDKOwner2013 - Please stop double and triple posting. It is against forum rules. Use the Edit, Multi-Quote and Quote features.

iMacDKOwner2013

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Store_30.html if it can be removed then it can be replaced
you would need to remove the card find the eeprom chip because of the way it's installed doing the 1-8 pin fix is out of the ? the only other way would be to remove the chip from the card & reprogram it with a eeprom writer ..AND reinstall it on the card ...nit for the faint of hart unless your real good with thr sodering iron
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZP2010-Hig...048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f9c1b538

Damn it... That what I was afraid of! But that is still durable, but I was hoping to find a more friendly solution. Because I would probably need a lot of equipment to do the latter or find a professional that could do it?

iMacDKOwner2013

iMacDKOwner2013 - Please stop double and triple posting. It is against forum rules. Use the Edit, Multi-Quote and Quote features.

My apologies :) I am a new but desperate user.... who is quite unfortunate... Granted, this was my own fault.

iMacDKOwner2013

A friendly member here just informed me that the Video ID in RBE should not be the problem. Could the problem be that the clock was set to high? The default was 625 and I sat it to 675 or 700?

I have just tried to reset the NVRAM and PRAM but no difference?

Last edited:
System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
"So I thought, I'll just flash it back... Problem: the X1900 CF PCI device ID changed from 7249 to 7346. ATI's flashing
programs query the device ID to know which GPU to expect, so the software can use the right flashing method.
Unfortunately a device with 7346 doesn't exist at all so ATIFlash didn't even show the card as installed.
The only way I could imagine how to fix this is by disconnecting the flash memory somehow so that the device ID does
not get changed (all ATI GPUs have a default value which can be overwritten by the ROM. Not all bits can be changed,
that's why I ended up with 7346 instead of a real X1300 device ID)."
Retrieved from "http://reference.techpowerup.com/Fixing_a_completely_gone_wrong_ATI_BIOS_flash"

iMacDKOwner2013

"So I thought, I'll just flash it back... Problem: the X1900 CF PCI device ID changed from 7249 to 7346. ATI's flashing
programs query the device ID to know which GPU to expect, so the software can use the right flashing method.
Unfortunately a device with 7346 doesn't exist at all so ATIFlash didn't even show the card as installed.
The only way I could imagine how to fix this is by disconnecting the flash memory somehow so that the device ID does
not get changed (all ATI GPUs have a default value which can be overwritten by the ROM. Not all bits can be changed,
Retrieved from "http://reference.techpowerup.com/Fixing_a_completely_gone_wrong_ATI_BIOS_flash"

What a mess!! Had I known I would have never have touched my nicely working iMac! I just read a forum post in here regarding a similar machine as mine and I thought I could do the same!

So where do we go from here? A friendly user told me to get -log info... So I have to somehow get that 2morrow... Maybe I could change my blind flash to read/write from USB while booting from CD.. As I cannot see anything on the screen....

I cant see your link? Is that thing possible on a mobile Radeon GPU? I also think it is a device id issue but I cannot confirm it! Maybe we can make this an group Techpowerup effect! Beers on me :-D

Last edited:

iMacDKOwner2013

I've just updated the info in the first post. Have a look at it and tell me what you think? Much appreciated!

System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
Is there a way to perhaps change the device id or clock speed, voltage and such without accessing the BIOS of the VGA card
NO
But how do I find the VGA BIOS? Can could I just buy an empty one from a electronic shop, flash it and insert that one and clipping the old one out?
You will need to remove the card from the machine [see the pic I posted] with high res pics of both sides of the card the bios chip is easy to spot or you could find it yourself. ID on the chip should start MM25LVxxxx. Because of the way the system is built you can't access the card when the rig is powered up so the 1-8 pin method won't work for you:mad:. So you will need to reprogram the chip in a programer.You could order a blank chip but you still need a programer, so you could just reprogram the chip on the card, you would have to remove it to put the new 1 on anyway

Last edited:

iMacDKOwner2013

NO

You will need to remove the card from the machine [see the pic I posted] with high res pics of both sides of the card the bios chip is easy to spot or you could find it yourself. ID on the chip should start MM25LVxxxx. Because of the way the system is built you can't access the card when the rig is powered up so the 1-8 pin method won't work for you:mad:. So you will need to reprogram the chip in a programer.You could order a blank chip but you still need a programer, so you could just reprogram the chip on the card, you would have to remove it to put the new 1 on anyway

What if I bought a clip-on? Like the E3 flasher? Could I flash it without having to remove it? And what kind of a pic programmer would I need? And how do I remove the chip without damaging it?

This is the card that I have in my iMac:

http://applecomponents.com/items/66.../0000004987?pn=1&s=video&cmp=0172&per_page=30

Last edited:
System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
The E3flasher is a great piece of work but a rig like it for vid cards has yet to be produced. Yes you will need to remove the card & the chip from the card to flash. see the e-bay link in post 31 for the type of flasher required. You could ask around in your local compter stores & see if any of the techs have one or know of sombody who will do it for you, desodering the chip & reattaching is a skill that take pratice & a steady hand

if you look @ the MXM card in post 20 [it's a 6xxx ati card] you can see that the img posted here has the heat sink still on it you will need to remove it to find the bios chip.
this vid will give you a look @ chip removal. but you really shoud look for some pro to help you

iMacDKOwner2013

The E3flasher is a great piece of work but a rig like it for vid cards has yet to be produced. Yes you will need to remove the card & the chip from the card to flash. see the e-bay link in post 31 for the type of flasher required. You could ask around in your local compter stores & see if any of the techs have one or know of sombody who will do it for you, desodering the chip & reattaching is a skill that take pratice & a steady hand
http://applecomponents.com/media/parts/resized/661-5578.gif
if you look @ the MXM card in post 20 [it's a 6xxx ati card] you can see that the img posted here has the heat sink still on it you will need to remove it to find the bios chip.
this vid will give you a look @ chip removal. but you really shoud look for some pro to help you

Thank you :) Do you know anyone or have pictures of the BIOS chip in regards to my BIOS chip? So I can locate it? How do I identify it? Much appreciated! :)

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Man. This is like the coup-de-grace of threads proving that you should never flash your GPU bios unless you have damn good reason and know exactly what you are doing and why.

Good luck though I think you're gonna need a lot more than that.

iMacDKOwner2013

Man. This is like the coup-de-grace of threads proving that you should never flash your GPU bios unless you have damn good reason and know exactly what you are doing and why.

Good luck though I think you're gonna need a lot more than that.

And how is that supposed to help me with the situation now? Please keep focus on the problem because its always easy to think back and reflect. You're not telling me something new. I already know what you're stating.

And I actually already found a working solution to the problem, which I am using now. So please provide constructive feedback or refrain from posting further :)

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I was simply trying to deter others from making a similar (pretty ridiculous) mistake.

Please share the solution should it turn out to actually be one.

iMacDKOwner2013

UPDATE!

I have now fully dissembled my iMac. I have extracted the GFX card from the iMac and I am planning on getting it reflashed tomorrow. I have located a shop near where I live that I knew had a E3 Station (flashing station for e.g. PS3 downgrading). I will bring the card to him and he should be able to flash it with a stock BIOS as they have the same iMac in their workshop.

Update 2!

I actually believe that the Apple EFI is preventing the GFX from booting because the Video ID has changed! I think there is some sort of precaution/restriction in the Apple BIOS that prevents the iMac from booting if you upgrade or change your GFX!

Last edited:
System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
Great to here your making headway :toast: Your bios chip should look like the pic below. Will add the rom chip PDF soon ... GOOD LUCK
pdf

Attachments

• 4870%20rom%20chip.jpg
    4870%20rom%20chip.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 352

iMacDKOwner2013

Great to here your making headway :toast: Your bios chip should look like the pic below. Will add the rom chip PDF soon ... GOOD LUCK
pdf

I actually believe that the Apple EFI is preventing the GFX from booting because the Video ID has changed! I think there is some sort of precaution/restriction in the Apple BIOS that prevents the iMac from booting if you upgrade or change your GFX!

System Name Salvaged
Processor AMD Phenom II X6, 1055T
Motherboard MSI (cant remember model..)
Cooling Antec Kühler + extra fans (Antec, Zalman, Coolermaster, Generic brand)
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD6870
Storage Samsung 1TB, 320 Seagate, 250 Samsung
Display(s) LG Electronics
Case ANTEC Sonata III 500 (found/salvaged + modified)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Power Supply It's made in Denmark, never seen a PSU made there..
Software Win7 X64 Ultimate

Doesn't new iMacs have some sort of "mechanism" in their BIOS to restrain/prevent the use of say hardware not specifically made for (certified by?) Apple?
Maybe since the Video ID has changed, the system reads that the card is different??
Just a thought..