1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

iMac AMD Radeon 5750 (5850m) flash error

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by iMacDKOwner2013, Mar 16, 2013.

1. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its just a theory of mine... I cannot confirm it as it is! But it would make sense, because everything is working as it should?

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure that it uses a generic driver like Windows does and limits you to only 1024x768 unless you force it to another resolution on boot. I don't think this is the case, I think the GPU is failing to initialize because the voltages, timings on memory, and signalling between the 5770 and 6870 are very, very, very different.

There are very few reasons to flash a BIOS/VBIOS on a PC. I know you're probably feeling pretty crappy about this, but a point has to come out of this, even more so since I administrate a fleet of Apple laptops at work. There is absolutely no reason at all whatsoever to flash anything on a Mac that isn't in the form of an Apple update, EVER! Even if you do manage to get the BIOS switched back, it's very possible you could have fried the GPU since both GPUs run at different voltages and such and just attempting to use the different settings could damage the device.

I wish you the best of luck, keep us updated on your progress. Worse comes to worse, now that you know that video card is removable, if it is bricked you could attempt to replace it, but worry about that when you get there. Cheers. :toast:

SaiZo says thanks.
  3. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You are misunderstanding! I did not use 6870 BIOS, but I just edited the video ID in RBE to detect it as a 6870! The BIOS on the VGA card is the stock BIOS with few hz added (50-75 hz).

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    ...and what other things does changing the video ID impact? That's the thing. You're right, it might work if you get it flashed back, I'm just saying it might not and you have to brace yourself for that.

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    build up cash for an RMA man, youre s*1+ outta luck with trying to firmware flash. Tools used in windows/DOS are not the same as those used in Mac, (different file formats used).

If it ain't broken don't fix it...

6. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course it could happen, but I do not believe that is the case. I hope and believe that it would work as I did not do something crazy to it like overclocking it to insane amounts or such. The GPU is actually capable of running at 825 hz stable, so it should not be a problem in theory or practice.

7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but you shouldn't have to change the video id to do it. They're different architectures, you can't expect them to work the same.

8. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:

9. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    However, Its not like it changed architectures, but it should just be recognized as a 6870 driver-wise and nothing else. The 6870 is just a rebrand of the 5870. And the difference between a 5850 and a 5870 is just clock-speed. Simplified.

10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:

11. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:

12. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Well I learned here that iMacs have an actual video card. I always assumed onboard especially as an "M".

Are you sure the problem isn't that the refresh rate is now too high for the display?

13. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The iMacs uses a MXM video card... Which is a stand-alone Mobile GFX - simplified. The refresh-rate is not an issue and should not be relevant in this case or situation :) However, I do understand your statement, because if you set your refresh-rate too high in Windows, then the screen just turns black as the LCD cannot handle it.

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  14. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah same on a Mac, it's the hardware not the OS, of course. I actually only mentioned refresh as I thought that's what you said you edited along with the type/device ID/whatever. Maybe you just meant you added more Hz options not actually changed what the card was outputting to the display.

15. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh ok :) But I meant the clockspeed and missed the "M" in Mhz :) Im uploading some screenshots now for all to see :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  16. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That's because you're saying the wrong thing, the clock speed would be Mhz not hz.

17. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update 3!

UPDATE 3:

I have now managed to extract the original stock VGA BIOS backup from my iMac harddrive! And I have loaded the one from this site, my backup and the modified bios and taken screen shots of them, so the people that wants to help me in here can see it too :)

Attached Files:

18. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    So did you ever read that warning there where is says to check the FAQ when you change then card or vendor ids? It's in red for a reason. :wtf:

19. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read it, but from what I gathered from the FAQ was the it was simply how it would get detected in Windows. This was my initial understanding of it.

Can you please see my latest UPDATE 3! I have posted new pictures and retrieved the original backup rom. And have also for the benefit of the site and asked uploaded information in regards to the mislabeled firmware in the database and my stock rom :)

Do you still want me to upload my BIOS VGA ROM? Even-though its looks to be the same. I'm comparing it to the mislabeled VGA BIOS :) I have screenshots for you to look it.

Does anyone know whether I can access SSH-access to OSX if I extract the iMac HD and connect it to my Windows PC?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Only if you chroot but that won't get you access to anything that would be able to help you.

...and use the multi-post button. You've been told this earlier in the thread already. Please respect the forum rules and limit yourself to one post.

21. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    No it would have to be somehow booted for ssh to be functioning and you would be simply trying to mount the filesystem by slapping it on a Windows box... on a disk format that Windows can't read without something like Mac Drive.

Failing that, this is pretty easy if that thing has FW 800 and you can find another Mac with the same. Just boot up holding T for Target Disk Mode turning the iMac into an external drive. Though it sounds like the drive may be (practically) out of the machine already.

22. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    These pic show the location of the bios chip green 5870 mxm blue 7970 mxm cards

Attached Files:

23. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Oh you could probably find (or make) a Linux Live CD that can read HFS+ to boot your PC from with the drive connected. Perhaps some "rescue" distro.

24. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    @ iMacDKOwner2013, start using the multiquote/edit buttons or I will close the thread, I like to keep my room tidy!

Aquinus and HammerON say thanks.
  25. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I thought it could be a possible solution so that I could access the machine from my other Mac computers and PCs. Well, where there is a will there is a way I guess :-D

You Sir are my hero with OneMoar of course :) I will be fixing it later today or tomorrow! So fingers crossed! :)

There is a windows partition reading software for the OSX, so thought that there might be something similar for Windows? If I could enable SSH on the iMac harddisc, which I have extracted - that would be golden! :)

Well I did not know how to, but I just found out now. So it should not be a problem in the future :) And I have been using the "edit" button. :toast: