1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

iMac AMD Radeon 5750 (5850m) flash error

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by iMacDKOwner2013, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    you can prob re-use the thermal pads But don't be cheep on the TIM. Would suggest GELID EXTREME because of the cramped location & heat produced by the card

2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yes it is called Mac Drive, as mentioned earlier. A commercial product. As for SSH, again, the OS X system has to be booted or "active" for the ssh binary to be running and accept connections with your user account credentials. So, actually, you may be able to get to it just booting the Mac to black screen and then trying to connect via PuTTY or KiTTY from your Windows box.

3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Wrong, you can chroot into the system but you really should be running the same OS that you're chrooting into, so unless he has another Mac handy that won't work. It also won't help get the old BIOS back on the GPU, so I don't quite see what help that this will be anyways. SSH also has to be enabled to expect to get into it with PUTTY as its configured now. If SSH was never turned on you'll be SoL.

4. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Isn't that just "single user mode"? I thought that he was trying to get at his data...

5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You don't need to chroot if all you need to do is get data. You need to chroot if you want to make changes to the OS/Filesystem without booting it by making the machine think that you're root directory is actually somewhere else.

It's more like "recovery mode" without booting into the OS.

6. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I am not exactly sure why he seeks "SSH access"; didn't ask. Really shouldn't make any assumptions with the likes of this guy and this situation either...

7. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    i would get another mac and use it to access your hard drive and get the backup bios you saved so when you take it to get the chip flashed your 100% sure its the right bios.

8. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, maybe that's what he is after data-wise at this point.

9. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was actually planning on using thermal paste arctic mx-4 :)

I already retrieved my data and extracted the BIOS. The reason why I wanted to have SSH access was so that I could flash within the OSX system and use my backup VGA rom file. :)

I already did extract the backup BIOS from my iMac harddisc. And I also have other Mac computers e.g. I have a MacBook Air also :) And I handed it over today to be flashed with the original BIOS backup on a USB flash drive (128 kb) :)

10. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    All right, good luck. What a saga...

11. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    I hope it goes well for you.

This should be a lesson to you and everyone else who thinks about flashing any bios before finding the recovery procedure.

I had to break out an old pci ati rage to get my HD5850 working after a bad attempt at a modded bios.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  12. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was a bad ATIFlash. Sh!t happens and I have actually flashed 4 BIOS'es since that. I have been modding things, flashing, soldering and such for over 20 years now... And I think that it has gone bad 2-3 times in the period. But I would strongly recommend people not to do so without being able to recover or bear the loss. It was an unwise decision on my part and could I redo it, then I would never have done it same goes for future similar situations :)

Yeah it has been an unnecessary ride for my part! But lessons learned and experience gained! And I hope that it recovers :) But that's how it is sometimes - you take some risks, when you experiment in order to learn new things :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    Aquinus and Geofrancis say thanks.
  13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Yup, sometimes lessons are learned the hard way. I've been super careful ever since I flashed the wrong BIOS to a motherboard several years ago. You can easily brick hardware even if you manage to flash it back.

It didn't stop me though, it just made me more careful and more picky about what and when I flash a BIOS of any kind... unless its for a micro-controller and I'm developing on it, in that case I will flash EEPROM all day long. :p

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    sorry to hear but hard lesson learned. If youre able to find another MXM for that unit that is designed for the MAC go for it.

Card makers need to adopt PLCC.

15. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I went to the place and they could not fix so.... So I just bought a new card.... And just replaced it with a AMD Radeon HD 7970M... It didnt fit, so I had to modify my spacing within my cabinet and the VGA card (MXM)... But when I turn the computer on all the fans are running at high speed like crazy! Could it be that I need to apply the CPU with some new thermal paste? I think so... I now I have to dissamble it again to do that! I still have the old card and I will just reflash it or replace the BIOS chip with a new reprogrammed one :) The old card is not dead it just needs the BIOS replaced so that is good too :)

16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    that newer card might be causing thermal readings to go haywire or its drawing too much juice.

Id say try the heatsink. did that new card come with a heatsink designed for your laptop?

17. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its an iMac?

18. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Read the thread?

:banghead:

How about actually getting a video card that has Apple as a vendor ID? You can't throw any GPU into it and just expect it to work.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  19. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its an Apple GFX card from the 2012 iMac series.

20. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    Nice card;) Shame you had to spend $$$:eek: on the new card. Hope you can find some 1 to buy the old 1 when you get it repaired

21. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    when i think of imacs i think of the laptops anymore

22. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    How big is your iMac though? I don't think all iMacs have the same output on the power supply.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    his sounds like its older if it came with a 5750, circa 2010/2011?

24. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn now its only showing half the RAM in my machine. I have 4 slots, and only 2 of the slots are working. Could it be because I maybe tightened the cooler screws too hard? Too much paste? Im so tired of all these problems... I think I dis- and re-assembled it like 7 times now! And these iMacs are not like PCs! I would rather re- and disassemble 100s PC than 3 iMacs!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  25. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    re-seat the processor it could just be not making contact properly with the pins.