1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

iMac AMD Radeon 5750 (5850m) flash error

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by iMacDKOwner2013, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I thought at this point the CPU is soldered to the motherboard on the iMac.

2. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    I think you could be right I forgot apple are backwards like that.

nope just checked iMacs are socketed its just the laptops that are soldered in place.

3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    If that imac is lga based core2 or core I. yeah over tightening the cooler can cause memory controller issues. This is starting to sound like a boat anchor now

4. iMacDKOwner2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I have to dissemble the damn thing again! I'm starting to hate my machine, but I like the challenge. This is turning into a Greek tragedy, but if it breaks, then I want it to be me who does it. Apple has really done everything in their power to make it as difficult as possible to modify or repair the damn thing as opposed to a normal desktop PC.

First it wasn't even turning on when I tried to loosen the screws, but then I tried again without the LED attached and now it turns on. I think I have to re-seat the heat-sink and the CPU. I do believe now that the CPU is very fragile! Do I have to take the CPU out or can it be re-seated without been pulled out? Which way is the easiest way to do it? And how much Arctic MX-4 paste would you recommend?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    being LGA based you have to pull the CPU out unless if you want to damage the motherboard pins themselves. Overtightening the heatsink flexes the motherboard causing improper contact between cpu pads and motherboard pins/contacts. I think this applies to all AS Products but apply a small amt to center of the CPU about the size of a half grain of rice. Either you can just press the cpu heatsink down and twist a few times or you can use a credit card to spread the compound all over the CPUs integrated heat shield then press down and twist and then lock the heatsink into place (Screws)

Good Luck Man if you get it to work, if not id shitcan it for a PC (Current Macs as of 2010 run x86 CPUs anyway so you can most likely run mac software on a PC- yes they are a pain in the ass to fix)