• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

imperial's general state of affiars

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
I apologize in advance, as I'm sure some of the hit squad will consider this to be in the wrong section . . . but, allow me to explain myself: considering I was an active member of the community here for a long time, and still drop in every now and then (I wish it would be more often, and I've even said that I would be here more frequently, but I'll explain below), I figured that many of the older and active users would be interested in what I'm about to say . . . besides, I really don't think the message would get out to enough users if I were to post this in GN.

That being said, I just want to inform the community as to my current shituation. As I mentioned, I had said in the past (not too long ago, actually) that I had intended to become fully active around these parts again . . . but, as tends to happen, real life had other ideas, and has taken the full brunt of my attention over the last few months; and will continue to hold my attention through months to come . . .

The last few months have been something of a roller coaster, mentally, physically and emotionally. Back in the early part of July, I had learned that my girlfriend of the past 8+ years was pregnant - this was information that I recieved quite joyously, considering some of the things I had been told regarding my past medical history. But, alas, only a few weeks after we hard learned she was expecting, she had miscarried . . . which had devasted both of us. We weren't more than a week or two out from that ordeal, when one of the family dogs had taken a turn for the worst quite literally overnight, and we had to make the decision to put him down. 12 loyal years, and they shan't be forgotten.

Well they say that bad news comes in threes, and that definitely proved true. For those that don't know a bit about my past, I'll rehash quickly (as I've been extremelly open about this information over the years): I had battled Hodgkin's Lymphoma back in 2002-2003. The cancer had presented itself only within my neck and collar region. I was initially diagnosed at stage 2, and underwent 4 months of chemotherapy, followed by 14 daily radiation treatments . . . the first follow-up CAT scan had come back with some questionable nodes, so my oncologist at the time had ordered another 2 months worth of chemo. That proved effective, and shortly there-after I was declared "free of cancer."

To get back to my little yarn, while still coming to grips with the miscarriage and the death of a family pet, some routine follow-up medical tests after finally getting back in with another oncologist (which was a long battle with my clinic) had shown what ever cancer patient constantly fears . . . I've had a relapse with the disease. Thanks to the incompetence of my primary care physicians, their lack fo ever getting me a referal to an oncologist or getting me the routine follow-up tests I've needed done had led for the disease to spread quite a bit. I've been diagnosed with stage 3B Hodgkin's Lymphoma, with cancer presenting itself in my collar, chest, abdomen and pelvis regions. Thankfully, though, there's no involvement with the bone marrow, no extra-nodal involvement, no organ involvement, and preliminary blood tests show little evidence of the disease.

That, my good friends, was back at the beginning of September - the whole of September had been a barrage of preliminary testing, and surgery to fully diagnose and properly stage the disease. October had started off immediately with the first rounds of treatment - my chemotherapy this time around has been in-patient hospitilization over 3 days. Thankfully, all prognostic factors going into treatment have been outstanding for me, and there's a really good chance we can entirelly cure this disease and leave me cancer free for the rest of my life. I've already completed two cycles of chemo so far, and have another to go. The first CT scan, which was earlier this week, has shown the chemo to be quite effective, with a 50%-65% reduction in size of the cancerous nodes. I should be scheduled for a PET scan sometime after the 3rd cycle, and if this chemo regimen works for me as it has for others, we should see clinical remission . . . if not, another 1 or 2 cycles of chemo will probably be in order. Sometime following clinical remission, I'll be undergoing a stem cell transplant (sometimes know as a bone marrow transplant), which should effectively mop up any cancer that's left, reset my bone marrow and immune system, and cure this disease for good for me.

I truly hope so, as cancer simply sucks - I'd never wish it on anyone, enemies included . . . we cancer patients face some of the most brutal and barbaric procedures the medical industry has to offer. Thankfully I'm handling this current treatment much better than the frontline treatment I faced 8 years ago. I've had very little debilitating side effects, and for the most part I feel perfectly fine and healthy . . . which I'm entirelly thankful for.

It's been stressful, though - the constant hospital visits, doctors visits and testing has left me with very little free time. I'm still working as I can, as I need to maintain my insurance, but my income has taken a massive hit . . . enough so that I've been looking into some possible freelance work, or anything simple I might be able to do for some additional income. Thankfully, I've found some great charities and co-pay programs that will help cover a good portion of the medical bills that are piling up.

I would be here more often, but without a laptop to use while being hospitalized for treatment, I'm kinda stuck in those regards - and once out of the hospital, it's work and rest . . . typically by the time I'm home from work I'm not in the mood to do anything other than just get some sleep. Plus, I still have constant doctor's appointments and otherwise eating up my days.

As it is, I still browse through every now and then to check the reviews and keep an eye on the tech world. I'm truly sorry for such an emotionally heavy post, and that it's probably in the wrong section . . . but, I've come to regard many of the long-time active users here as much as friends as I do my real life friends (even most of the users I've heavily disagreed with in the past). It simply doesn't feel right to me to not pass this information along, as I'm sure some users have probably become curious as to where I've disappeared to, and how things are going. Y'all deserve to know as much as my real life friends and family.

I simply want everyone to know that I am doing alright, that I am still kicking, and that simply because life has thrown me a curveball it doesn't mean I've dropped the bat.

I'll also take the risk here of passing along my Facebook profile, should anyone else want to keep in closer touch and stay more informed of how things are going as they happen - if you want to throw me a friend request you're more than welcome, just pass along a message with stating you're username and that you're from TPU: http://www.facebook.com/#!/imperialreign

In the meantime, y'all, I'll be around . . . watching, lurking, occasionally posting . . . and y'all keep the silicone blazing! :toast: