1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

implications of using a server for other things.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Tau, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i have been steadily expanding my home network/domain and i am at the point were i dont really want to add anymore computer then i have to. I need to be setting up a VPN server here, and was planning on setting it up on my fileserver (p4 @ 3Ghz, 1GB ram, lots of HDD space) basically the fileserver is just storage for files on my homenetwork; music, movies, photoshop files, iso's etc.

Now i think it would be better to install the VNC server on there as i could than keep all that stuff running on a single box, (also will be running a Winamp remote service pretty soon, probobly a small ftp daemon, and a few other things)

Now my question is what kind of impact will logging into the VNC account of that machine cause to it? I will than have to install some basic daily apps (web browser, IM client, word processor, etc, etc.) I was always taught not to do this for a server though have never tried and am curiouse what exactly the implications/negative marks would be.

I would also be remote desktopping into other machines on the network from the VNC machine (log into VNC, than from there RD into other boxes)

Would i be better off to set all this up on a dedicated machine so that i can keep the server clean? (I think this is the best option).

Just wanted some opinions, and curiouse what kind of setups people are running at home.

The other reason i ask is that i might be migrating the fileserver OS over into something diffrent here soon that may not play nice with VNC, or apps.

2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Do whatever you please with it, as long as the hardware is fast enough you won't notice much. As long as you know what you're doing things will work. ie you can't run several webinterfaces on a single port. You'd have to change settings in such situations.
    Not installing IM's, browsers can be recommended for the single reason of keeping the server virus free and not breaking it. When using it all day for other tasks the odds of you eventually wasting something get higher. I use RDC on my server every day, I run MSN on it 24/7 and browse torrents sites. (I start downloads at home when I'm at work) Everything still works :)

3. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats kind of what i figured. Maybe I will see if i can dig up another box for remoting into.... If not ill throw it all onto the fileserver.

Thanks Dan.

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Just run it on the fileserver, if you manage to break that down you shouldn't be doing these things in the first place :)

Or go for an ESX solution of course.