1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

** Important Notice regarding creation of new threads **

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by DanTheBanjoman, Jul 14, 2009.

1. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    To keep all GN threads in one place you can't create new threads in this subforum anymore. You can however reply to existing threads. If you wish to create a thread please go to http://generalnonsense.net , you'll have to register again there if you haven't done so already.
  2. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    will get over there soon
    is this part going to be shut down perminently?
    have you plenty of moderators for it?

update.gif
    if you want to add your 10 cents worth anywhere else on this site your welcome to
    if your not a member yet you can join up by clicking here it's free and will only take a minute to do so
    (please take a moment first to read the Forum Rules)

please use the Search Forums drop down menu when looking for solutions to problems you may have
    also read the forum guidelines by DanTheBanjoman before posting your problems,
    (chances are someones had or having the same issues as you :) )
    and be patient someone will help if they can

oh and finally to spammers
    beware this site has many many moderators who have the power to ban you Instantaneously so be fair warned, if they don't see you straight away someone will report you and your ip address will be banned

me
    well i don't work here (yet) i'm just a member (status may change in the future)

if you want a job look here
    the above also tells you who is who and there position in this site

alternatively if you just want to chat to other members there is always the General Nonsense Forums
    with crazy topics such as
    From The News
    Sports & Recreation
    Health & Life Counseling
    Phones, MP3 Players & Gadgets
    Politics
    Cars & Bikes
    Miscellaneous
    Crazy Pictures
    Movies & TV Series
    Online Videos
    Music
    Photography & Video
    Image Editing
    click on any of the above links to see what goes on over there

if you do want to sign up to generalnonsense go here
    it's free and will only take a minute to do so (please take a moment first to read the Forum Rules)

if any of the above links are dead please press the report button and say which link is bad
    have fun;)
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Personally I'm guessing this will end up as a thrashcan for pointless threads. Ie crap posted on other forums that gets moved here. Threads about hitting your girlfriend or doubting your government will be forced to gn.net. So instead of having mods here facepalming all the time due to the useless things people share we actually want you to share the ideas that come out of your arse (and the feelings that are deep in your heart) so we can have a laugh about/at it.
    For now we have enough mods on gn.net, though if people start spamming crap (which they are free to do) we might assign more.
  4. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    classic:laugh::roll::laugh::D
    well i'm usually around if you need a mad moderator to keep the peace:D
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sucks. i don't like gn2.0.
  6. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Then don't sign up. And just keep all that nonsense bottled up.
  7. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    why?:confused:
    what would you like to see over there?
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Then go over, and give suggestions on how to make it better.
  9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    That suggestion is going to be to integrated right into the forum structure of this site. If all sub forums were made shown on TPU it would be much easier access. Still lost on 2 sites with the same people, some with different names, just add the extra mods from over there here and create sub forums would work better also. But that will get ridiculed even though it makes sense, but those are my 2 honest opinions.
    qubit says thanks.
  10. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    And you never will if you don't give it a chance instead of just complaining in a non-constructive way.
  11. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That is so Weasel News (GTA). Classic! :roll:
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    many of the more fun mods are over at GN2.0, and we welcome ideas from your ass. its a craptastic forum where you can have fun, you can have hot girl threads, and you can post crazy pictures.

TPU = tech site

GN2.0 = sister site for non tech stuff
  13. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:

i second that :respect:

personaly i think some of you guys like the randomness of General Nonsense
    just talking about anything like me :laugh:
    and i understand ,
    but life needs some order ,
    some people don't like things to be disorganised
    besides it makes the site look untidy and unprofessional
    which i'm afraid to say counts in the buisness world
    you are all viewers of the ads ,the reviews and the advice which makes you
    potential clients to the sponsors/ supporters/owners of this site

so get some reviewing /purchasing done :D
    and make this site more talked about than the others out there
    i want to see this site worth alot more money in the near future ;):D
    and yes make suggestions on what you think this site needs to shine
    against the others
    over there at http://generalnonsense.net/
    no bs though proper suggestions ;)
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  14. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    Not happy about it, but might as well give it a shot but I liked it all being under 1 website/forum. I wanted to ask what good online shops there is in the UK because I'm looking at getting a 32GB iPod Touch cheap but not many people are on GN.net :(
  15. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    If you stay away from GN thinking "there aren't many people there", it will never grow, and you'll not have an off topic community to be a part of. It's a chicken-egg thingy. Join up, post, leave the rest to the community. That's is how a community grows.

Another observation has been that people who are "GN kings" of TPU hate the idea of a spin-off community the most. In my understanding, it's because these people with the massive e-genital post counts want a community as large as TPU's to "perform" to. They'll be "performing" to a smaller audience at GN, hence the hostility towards the idea. At the end of it, starting an account there is as time-consuming as finding a set of lolcats and posting it.
  16. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    not that i have an iphone but using that as an example would i post about it in General Hardware as there is no longer a GN

it dosnt fit in GN 2.0 yet GN is gone from tpu

if i wanted to know about an app for example

things like PDA's or palmtops

your forcing us to join GN 2.0 and YES it is forcing, maybe not physically but sneakily like since you dont want to go there we will make that your only choice

fuck this ill HAVE to use it now which is rubbish as it will be a waste of a registration for the amount of time ill use it for
    DaveK says thanks.
  17. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    You have a lifestyle/gadgets forum there.

Yes, it's being forced upon you. In the process, in no way have you been deprived of an off-topic posting place. Everything on TPU forums is free (and ad-free) service, including GN.net.
  18. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    well in that case wizzard should change tech power up to PC hardware and gaming power up and im not going to post here item by item things that SHOULD be postable (did i just make that word up?)on tech powerup

i really think that the website name is deceiving tech power up but your only allowed to post about pcs and gaming, well if wiz says i cant post such and such then i wont as he is the owner of the site not you
  19. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    i agree people need to stop grouching and get over there or i'll have to buy this website
    and charge people per post
    think i won't hm:D
    mind you then i'd lose money as i'd have no customers[​IMG]
    i think this thread needs to be[​IMG]
  20. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    I'll make it all the more more clear what TPU is about:

It's about Computer Hardware & Gaming (till GamePowerUp comes up). Every community needs an off-topic part of the website. Well, ours is bigger than any off-topic service a tech-site would offer to its users, for free. GN.net is only a different URL, and a different set of users, but nothing stops you from being part of it, and in doing so, you're not "leaving" TPU. You have familiar e-faces from TPU there, and more are signing up every day. Once you sign up and set it to remember your login, you just have to click on the "General Nonsense" link in TPU's forum index to go there, all in one click.

Like I said, in many such discussions earlier, the psychological "blockade" (that's right, blockade) some people have towards the idea of a spin-off part of the community is because they think it's not a part of mainstream TPU and that creating an account takes as long as applying for pension from the government (both of which are dogma). Keeping GN on TPU was having its ill-effects (GN threads cluttering the new-posts search lists, flame-wars, drawing too much staff-intervention, and most of all, adhering to the posting standards of TPU. I mean, you couldn't talk about drugs for example here, because it harms the image of this community, nothing stops you from doing so there, because it has its own indigenous standard which is lenient and gives you all the space you were craving for, and fighting with TPU's mods for, in the past.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  21. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:

how can you call it a tech site yet it is only for currently pc hardware and gaming?
    lets also note i signed up and its just a flame wars and stupid topics forum! aka the crazy picture thread

im not opposed to it because it has a registration process i DONT like the type of stupidity its designed for

what was wrong with having a miscellaneous sub forum? rather than call tech a load of general nonsense

i am now confused as tech can stand for technical (equipment) or technology

im not the one that needs changing your not even acknowledging things im saying, i realise that TPU has a high standard but it also has a high level or tolerance so it contradicts itself, you couldnt for example ban a member because they spell wrong

i singed up for GN 2.0 but begrudgingly
  22. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    what does that mean im like not allowed to?

i dont see why i cant have a view about the new forum, even if it is one that you are opposed to

i should be able to EXPLAIN why i dont like it for consideration which is CLEARLY not happening you are all just going about it one way

im trying to take on board points and say why exactly i dont see the same or in the rare case it maybe something that i got wrong or misunderstood and may make me see it differently

EDIT: none of the old GN posts showed up in the latest topics it got disabled i know it used to be like that a long time ago
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  23. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    You're right, we need to get Wizzard to make a WatchPowerUp, a PhonePowerUp, CarPowerUp, CalculatorPowerUP, etc and then rename this one to ComputerPowerUp. Either that or he needs 100 new sub-forums here so we can talk about all those things too. Oh, and if we go on what technology actually is, he should go back all the way to SpearPowerUp and WheelPowerUp.

General Nonsense isn't specifically for hardware other than computers its just that's where it happens to be. In fact, Dan Banjo even asked over there if cell phones would be better hosted on TechPowerUp, though I don't know what came of that. Bta already described why it was created, as have many others. Specifically, it appears in post #20.

You completely ignored what he posted. Besides, TPU does have a Misc Hardware section called 'General Hardware'. You can probably talk about anything hardware that is 'tech' in there.

So you want mods to be more strict?
  24. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    Because, it is, well, a techsite. When you have a website that teaches you how to make Italian food, it becomes a cookery site. Now I won't cry at them to teach me Chinese cookery saying "how can you call it a cookery site yet it is only for Italian food?"

well, that's how you're sounding right now mate.

Being a tech-savy person, you already know that it is a different forum, a different database and that you can't have users from here merrily hopping on to there. It's a technical issue. If it could be done without mega-tons of work on the databases, it would have been done. You have my word.

The spoils of having an off-topic section within this community are explained in my earlier post. No crowding of GN threads and "GN heroes" here. Having a spun off community makes sure things (and some people) are kept right where they belong (or are better off).

Again, get back to by Cookery/Italian food explanation.

This move is not an attempt to change you, but rather keep things in place. You can just have a big cupboard in your room to store junk along with your clothes, or you can choose to throw your junk in a closet. We just built a closet for TPU.

Finally...
    Which is exactly what TPU's GN was. The reason you find things a little more to the extreme there is because the staff have different thresholds compared to here, and it's more lenient than here. People pretty-much asked for that kind of leniency from the staff here, which could not be provided at the expense of making things worse for TPU (more GN topics here, more fights, more drama,....).
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  25. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    i'm not the boss here ;)
    i'm just saying that i think things are getting far to heated for no reason, there's no need to argue who owns what but getting abusive towards others is just daft [​IMG]
    if dan was here he would either give out some serious infractions or ban some of you
    i'm old enough to not get into such things .
    yes it may seem like your all getting a raw deal but your not ,
    read the above. it's neat and tidy over there. and like btarunr said it's free
    here you have to trawl through hundreds of hours of rubbish posts about nothing , i'm going to suggest ,so that people can find the right tech advice ,we get rid of all the old crap that's on here, no one will lose out they're just words .old words
    i don't need to fall out with anyone over this ,the above is meant as a friendly[​IMG] to get people over there
    if you want to vent your wrath put it in the suggestions thread http://generalnonsense.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6 tell them what your not happy with and what you want to see it'll either be implimented or it won't
    anyway this thread is bizaarly still open now but tommorow will surely be closed