• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Important W10 activation key questions left unanswered by Microsoft

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I can't seem to find a straight answer to these questions anywhere and it's putting me off going for the upgrade.

If I upgrade, will my old W7 & W8 keys no longer activate my older OSes? It doesn't mention this either way in the official FAQ. If it invalidates the old key, then it's hardly a free upgrade and is actually a part exchange so they should make this clear as it's a critical point and forms a contract between the user and Microsoft. There's a hint of this in the FAQ answer that you have one month to revert to the old OS.

Similarly, does Microsoft actually explicitely give you a W10 key or do I have to use the Keyfinder utility?

The one thing that does seem clear however, is that regardless of whether your old OS is OEM or retail, the upgrade to W10 is OEM and hence tied to the motherboard, which is quite restrictive if the original was retail. This is also a sneeky way to stop it from being a perpetual licence too, as it dies when the hardware dies or is replaced.

Imagine your mobo dying a week after installing it. You replace it with a new mobo and internet activation of course fails. Do you even get the option of a phone activation? If you do, are Microsoft likely to block it anyway?

Note that I am actually running the RTM version of W10 in VMWare Player, since it came down free on Windows Update at the end of the Insider program. Interestingly, it has an option to let me continue being an Insider or not. If I remain an Insider then I guess it still does the keylogging, which would make it best to opt out of it. Again, I haven't seen anything at all about this. Anyone know?

This is what I see now if I go into settings and Windows Update, Advanced options. Note the Stop Insider builds button.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
As I understand it, you are correct in this "free upgrade' essentially bein an OEM tied to the life of your hardware. That's why I stated in your Refusenik thread when I finally deem W10 essential, I will buy a retail copy

Also, since you only have 30 days to change your mind on the upgrade, and W10 then deletes youe windows.old folder, you lose your old OS forever and are essentially trapped. It's a clever way to make sure you upgrade to W10 and stay there. While I think it's an abhorrent tactic, I have to admire it too.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Actually, those questions WERE answered by Microsoft, but perhaps you missed it because you've been busy posting all these Wn10 threads.

Maybe you could recap here, because as a number of writers have pointed out MS has been less than clear on almost every W10 rule they have published, to the point of obfuscating and contradicting themselves!

It would be much appreciated!

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz CL16 1.35V
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT Gaming X 8G
Storage Crucial MX100 512GB + Samsung 870 EVO 2TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG24C
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX-550
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K60
Actually, those questions WERE answered by Microsoft, but perhaps you missed it because you've been busy posting all these Wn10 threads.

Well, I also don't know the answer of the following question, so please, give me the answer since I actually didn't upgrade yet because I need to know this before I do anything.

Thanks

If I upgrade, will my old W7 & W8 keys no longer activate my older OSes?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Sheesh. FFS A quick google would have your answer, but I had this page bookmarked:

TL;DR: what happens to your key depends on what type and version of windows you installed WIn10 from.

It depends on the license you upgrade from:

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM licenses this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c2?msgId=17e41c57-5cfb-41a0-beee-e9959edfd138

The only time you will get an ACTUAL win10 key is if you buy a full retail/OEM Win10 copy (available RIGHT NOW from Microsoft store).

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Thank you. That is dated July 28th. Prior to then, they kept this (deliberately I believe) not so clear, so there was no reason for any of us to do a new google search, since the unclear info had already been put out there by MS.

So this confirns what I understood, you lose your old OS after 30 days.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Thank you. That is dated July 28th. Prior to then, they kept this (deliberately I believe) not so clear, so there was no reason for any of us to do a new google search, since the unclear info had already been put out there by MS.

Not if you have a full retail copy OS. In other words, you have the same "install rights" as the copy you upgraded from. And I do understand that the post is new-ish, but at the same time, it does make some sense to me to check with Microsoft first before going elsewhere, since only Microsoft can directly answer these things. Hence my comment about posting Win10 threads... this thread was posted today claiming these questions were not answered... but they were, just recently, which makes them easy to find.

This other new post other might find useful as well:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-fb85-43e3-8be4-07e7c4ab9ea2?tm=1438131062665

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes

Sheesh. FFS A quick google would have your answer, but I had this page bookmarked:

TL;DR: what happens to your key depends on what type and version of windows you installed WIn10 from.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c2?msgId=17e41c57-5cfb-41a0-beee-e9959edfd138

The only time you will get an ACTUAL win10 key is if you buy a full retail/OEM Win10 copy (available RIGHT NOW from Microsoft store).

Actually, it answers some of it, but not the critical question of whether the old licence will still activate the old OS. Judging by the "licence consumed" wording it probably won't, but it's not clear. Right, so this critical info was sort of finally posted on the 29th in an MS forum thread rather than the official FAQ where it should have been. Can you really not see the problem here? Good thing I posted a thread about it to help raise awareness of it, eh? ;)

So I was right, if the old key is consumed, then it's not so free then, is it? It's actually a part exchange. Yeah, trust Microsoft to do a bait and switch tactic like that. I don't see how that's legal without putting this critical point up front. There's nothing wrong with a part exchange, just make it clear up front.

Oh and obviously I did actually google it before posting this thread, but this didn't come up in the search results. Most people realize that from my OP, but not our esteemed @cadaveca, lol.

Well done for finding it, but once again zero points for having such a dumb attitude and attempting another silly putdown with a strawman argument and hence looking like a bit of a plonker, tsk. c'mom man, I'm not your enemy. Oh and it still wasn't quite answered by Microsoft, so your find isn't quite the slam dunk is it?

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
My main question is do my insider preview installs automatically get updated to gold or do i have to do something

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
My main question is do my insider preview installs automatically get updated to gold or do i have to do something
Insiders did get the RTM version. I'm an Insider and I got it. Read the last few sentence of my OP where I explain it and show the screenshot.

I'm not sure if Microsoft will allow an Insider build to activate now. Try it in VMWare Player perhaps?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
subbing to this thread, getting asked a lot of these questions myself and don't have all the answers.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Insiders did get the RTM version. I'm an Insider and I got it. Read the last few sentence of my OP where I explain it and show the screenshot.

I'm not sure if Microsoft will allow an Insider build to activate now. Try it in VMWare Player perhaps?

I've had these installs going for about 5 months now. They still seem to run fine but the thing telling me they're insider previews is still in the bottom right

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I've had these installs going for about 5 months now. They still seem to run fine but the thing telling me they're insider previews is still in the bottom right
I'm sorry, I don't know then. <puzzled> Towards the end of the Insider period, MS said we'd get the full version and mine is at the retail 10240 and doesn't show the version in the bottom right. Typing ver at the command prompt shows the version number.

Have you set your updates to Fast mode? If not, try it and initiate an update scan and see what you get. Also, did you use a Microsoft account or was it a local account? That will make the difference too. Actually, I don't think you could install it with a local account, but I'm not sure as I never tried.

Processor Intel Core i5 4570
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Kingston ValueRAM CL9 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTS450OC-1GL
Storage 1TB WD Black + 1.5TB WD Black + Kingston V300 120GB
Display(s) T200HD
Case Delux MZ401
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Enermax NAXN 500W
Software Windows 8 Pro x64
I always had it with a local account. And now i am not an insider on my account and will get the official rollout much later. I tried to force updating on 2PCs and none of them worked, Windows update erred out on me, and the ISO takes ages to download and still crashes. Good that i can break these installs as a reinstall was coming anyways on these computers with the OS being 2yrs old and starting to bloat, especially on the laptop with HDD.

I am trying Windows Update again as I speak.. Cleaned all folder and remains of previous attempts. Aaaand its stuck again on preparing to install, as it always was. Once i got the romanian version that went further but couldnt keep my applications just my files because of the different locale.. thats what it said at least.

I am writing this OS off.... Moving to Linux or even MAC seems a much better idea now, heck, i could update a hackintosh easier than this piece of crap.

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

Sounds to me if you have OEM lic and you have to phone MS their 1st question will be is it retail or oem and you say oem they say gtfoh.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro

Yea that was my only question. What if you want to go back to 7. Will the license work still

cadaveca

My name is Dave
So I was right, if the old key is consumed, then it's not so free then, is it? It's actually a part exchange. Yeah, trust Microsoft to do a bait and switch tactic like that. I don't see how that's legal without putting this critical point up front. There's nothing wrong with a part exchange, just make it clear up front.

Upgrade. Upgrade. It's not a full OS, it's a free upgrade to an existing OS.

If it is already activated, you can download the "240" build and update from there. That is the key part...it has to be activated and listed in your Microsoft Account in order to be upgraded from preview to release. No new activations have been possible for a few now.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Thank you. That is dated July 28th.
Actually you lose the Windows.old folder.
You can copy or clone that to use later if you wish to uninstall W10.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
i think it will be identical to all prior times.

I bought win 7 ultimate got a bought upgrade to 8 which deemed the win 7 key dead

8 to 8.1 free upgrade, again pro rendered the 8 key dead, and when i bought media center for some unknown reason, the new key i got subsumed the old one again.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
The "license is consumed into it" for both retail and oem versions of prior operating systwns certainly sounds like after 30 days "cooling off" period that MS gives you, you can never go back to that previous OS.

BTW, all these answers.microsoft "facts" are forum answers (and thus interpretations), not official MS answers, so it makes my initial point in here about MS being less than clear.

Last edited:
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter