1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

In Development: Full-On, High Performance 3D Gaming Right In Your Web Browser

Discussion in 'News' started by qubit, Oct 2, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Mozilla are developing a full-on 3D game engine for their Firefox browser. It looks like having a viable high performance game engine built right into the browser could allow first person shooter type games to reach a much wider audience and possibly even raise the bar for integrated graphics - we're already seeing this with the upcoming Sandy Bridge E processors. The project is called Paladin, which is developing the Gladius 3D gaming engine. To help test it, a basic 3D game, RescueFox has been prototyped, although that’s not going to be developed further, but forking is welcomed. We’ll let the Mozilla development blog take it away from here.

[​IMG]

Source: mozillalabs.com
  2. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    That game sucked.
  3. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Remember, it was just designed to validate the game engine. Anyway, it's open source, so can be developed into a full game if anyone is up to the challenge.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  4. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    Yay for even lower office productivity.
    Chevalr1c says thanks.
  5. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Several attempts to bring 3D to browsers over the last decade were greeted with meh. I think this will be no different, though I'm not as sure as I have been before due to the current internet landscape.
  6. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully mozilla accomplishes their goals, since 3D gaming could be a crucial thing in schools, since everyone is changing to tablets/are gretting notebooks and even the blackboards are being changed into smartboards. And with the ability to demonstrate games/complicated things in good 3d visuality it could help children understand better and faster. I remember back in the day, where we had 2 hours a week in school to further develop some of our cognitive skills.
  7. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    For reference Quake live has a browser plug in.
    I heard adobe wanted to make Flash have proper 3D graphics.
  8. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I remember that. However, I don't think it's a full-on 3D game engine customizable for any game. Don't quote me though, lol.
  9. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Yeah your right its just an updated quake engine for that game. I dont really think Mozilla should concentrate on making a 3D engine as they should maybe concentrate on other web browser technologies, its not their area of expertise. Overall i can maybe see some indy developers making use of something like this or 3D Flash.
  10. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    I am sure zanga will make use of it likely for an FPS.
  11. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think it was impossible to make a really good 3D game via browser right now, because it will need massive bandwith just to stream game data from their server to our computer and since linux and windows have different kind of driver it will make developing game for it a little challenging.
  12. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    If you guys want to see something like this in action for yourself done very well, check out www.interstellarmarines.com

It's an Indie game that's been in development for some time but they have early builds with demo stuff on the site that you can play just in your browser (Running Man, Bullseye). And it's actually done incredibly well. It uses Unity Web Player. I've had some fun with it, but then again I may be biased since I have already preordered back in '09 just to support. :)
  13. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    quake live is 3d (basically quake 3 arena graphics) and runs on your browser using openGL. You need to install a plugin to get it running.
  14. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Gaming in browsers is generally pretty poor compared to windowed and even worse compared to fullscreen. Basically, you got a lot of browser overhead that requires serious security considerations on top of the security considerations in the game. Not to mention, all the other riff-raff that is not game related. Oh, and forget it ever catching on if not all major browsers support it. In short, it's far fetched and nothing Silverlight can't already do...
    http://www.silverlightshow.net/items/Perspective-3D-in-Silverlight-3.aspx
    http://bubblemark.com/3d/silverlight1.1.htm
    http://www.andybeaulieu.com/Home/tabid/67/EntryID/216/Default.aspx

...or Java for that matter (e.g. Minecraft).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    The web is constantly moving towards a more visual experience. If you look at the net now compared to the net a decade ago, it is drastically different in terms of how sites even looked. Simplistic went to tables, then now were at flash. HTML5 and beyond is growing. These will only get better as lower end machines get boosts in their graphical abilities. Sure it can advance on CPU software rendering but people will demand more. CPUs just cannot match GPUs. Someone will always make something that will look flashier. Having baselines able to display them is a positive move. Like them or not, this is what APUs can help foster. Even if Intel ends up taking the lead on this front, it'll be these early pioneer days which will be crucial.
  16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    still not liking streaming games, better to have code on computer than not, internet bandwidth is still not fast enough to withstand such high demands
  17. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Some guy shooting lazers out of his boobs, and a deer in space. Looks promising.